News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

3XW - does ignition lock have to be installed for key to turn?

Started by Storleer, July 12, 2023, 06:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storleer

Lost my keys, ordered a used lock kit. Gas cap and saddle lock works and turns with the included keys. The ignition lock in the new kit seems stuck in the steering lock position and doesn't turn. As I won't have my bike available to test the ignition lock until autumn, and I am worried about the half filled gas tank going bad, I really have to get this bike on the road asap. Is there some kind of mechanism on the ignition lock preventing it from unlocking while it is not mounted on the bike, or have I simply not received the correct keys? Any ideas? Cheers.

Old Rider

Not sure i understand what you mean,but have you tried to push down the key when turning

Storleer

Sparky84

Quote from: Storleer on July 12, 2023, 06:02:39 PM
Lost my keys, ordered a used lock kit. Gas cap and saddle lock works and turns with the included keys. The ignition lock in the new kit seems stuck in the steering lock position and doesn't turn. As I won't have my bike available to test the ignition lock until autumn, and I am worried about the half filled gas tank going bad, I really have to get this bike on the road asap. Is there some kind of mechanism on the ignition lock preventing it from unlocking while it is not mounted on the bike, or have I simply not received the correct keys? Any ideas? Cheers.
Does it push in at all when trying to get it out of the lock position?

Can you get some fuel stabiliser in the tank ? But I suppose you want to run it to get that fuel in the carbs.

Might have to hot wire it .

Good luck,
(it's just past middle of winter here and it's 21°c today and lots of sun ... )
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

Storleer

Yes it pushes in quite a bit. With one of the the keys that I got, but it won't budge.

So you can ride all year? Lucky you!

Sparky84

Sounds like the barrel and key are different, would a locksmith help?
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2