News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Tire suggestions

Started by caverman, April 18, 2023, 06:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caverman

I just picked up a '91 FJ and it's in need of tires immediately. I'm somewhat on a budget because I just blew most of my spare funds to buy the FJ in the first place. So, I'm looking at some Shinko brand tires. They are some of the cheapest and they have decent reviews. My other option is a set of Dunlops that would put me out another $80 which I would rather put towards funding some new brake lines. I won't be doing long distance touring with the bike. I'll mostly be around town riding and some occasional group riding. Anyone with experience with either Shinko vs Dunlop brands?
1991 FJ1200
1986 Fazer

gggGary

My tire sticker wall has about 30 Shinko stickers (and some other brands) so...
I've got stories but find them to be good tires, well constructed.
Made in South Korea they bought the Bridgestone tire production lines and moved them to Korea  There were some teething problems early on but that was long ago.
Just bought a 150/80ZR-16 (71W) Shinko 011 Verge for the back of the 93, front will get a verge II.  If you aren't a speed demon the 777HD series are good for typical street use and will take as much weight as you'd dare to load on an FJ
Boiler plate; don't mix Bias and radial tires.
FJ1200AE
Just one more Honey.

caverman

Quote from: gggGary on April 18, 2023, 09:00:08 PM
My tire sticker wall has about 30 Shinko stickers (and some other brands) so...
I've got stories but find them to be good tires, well constructed.
Made in South Korea they bought the Bridgestone tire production lines and moved them to Korea  There were some teething problems early on but that was long ago.
Just bought a 150/80ZR-16 (71W) Shinko 011 Verge for the back of the 93, front will get a verge II.  If you aren't a speed demon the 777HD series are good for typical street use and will take as much weight as you'd dare to load on an FJ
Boiler plate; don't mix Bias and radial tires.

I'm looking at the Shinko 230 Series Tour Master. Thoughts on those?
1991 FJ1200
1986 Fazer

gggGary

Prolly fine for the front.  Rear would depend on loads carried. Will you carry passenger, bags etc? I've been happy with the tour masters on lighter bikes.
FJ1200AE
Just one more Honey.

caverman

Quote from: gggGary on April 19, 2023, 05:05:46 AM
Prolly fine for the front.  Rear would depend on loads carried. Will you carry passenger, bags etc? I've been happy with the tour masters on lighter bikes.

Passengers...maybe every now and then but really no passengers for the most part. Bags, doubt very seriously, I don't have them now and can't see me adding them. I don't plan to tour or go any long distances. I'm mostly going to ride around town and do an occasionally group ride that would probably only be in the couple hours at a time type of riding.
1991 FJ1200
1986 Fazer

gggGary

Quote from: caverman on April 19, 2023, 06:39:24 AM
Quote from: gggGary on April 19, 2023, 05:05:46 AM

Passengers...maybe every now and then but really no passengers for the most part. Bags, doubt very seriously, I don't have them now and can't see me adding them. I don't plan to tour or go any long distances. I'm mostly going to ride around town and do an occasionally group ride that would probably only be in the couple hours at a time type of riding.
150/80-16 (71H) Shinko 230 Tour Master Rear Motorcycle Tire is rated for 760lbs. so you're good to go.
FJ1200AE
Just one more Honey.

gumby302ho

My advice is to never skimp out on tires, go without a few things, dont buy that case of beer or take the gal out for a good dinner for a spell,lol before you
know it you can afford a quality tire. Just one of my cardinal rules to try and help preserve myself.

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

caverman

But what tire do you consider being a bad one and which one isn't? I've looked at the reviews on Shinko vs Dunlop which seem to be two main ones I've seen. I'm assuming you would consider the Shinko brand the one that is skimping on based on price, which does seem to be the cheapest out there. However, on a good portion of the reviews I found the Shinko had a lot of positive ones and I found a couple negatives on the Dunlops. There is not a huge difference in price between the two (maybe $50 more for Dunlop) but the reviews I've seen point to the Shinko...at least for the 16"/17" combo that is available for the FJ.
1991 FJ1200
1986 Fazer