News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Engine replacement query?

Started by BrianB, November 29, 2022, 05:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianB

Hi all,
Might be dumb question but...I've got a 1989 FJ1200 3cv here in Ireland, engine is buggered. I have been looking into getting a new engine from a breakers yard, the only one available is a 1991-97 ABS model. Any ideas if this is a possible match or am I wasting my time? Any help/tips would be much appreciated...Thanks Brian!

RPM - Robert

The only difference should be the 89 is not rubber mounted but you can turn some bushings. At least state side this is the case I would presume it would be the same for other countries as well.

BrianB

Thanks for your reply Robert. So if I got a bushing machined the equivalent diameter to the rubber mounts, you reckon it could work? Something similar to the image I found in an other post?

RPM - Robert

You would need to press the bushings out of the replacement engine, there is a brass outer and steel bushing, both need to be removed. The make one bushing I believe The bikes are all in storage right now so I don't have one to look at. But basically minus the mounting change between them they are identical. Even the castings are the same. If i recall correctly, the right side is machined out of the later model for the "floating" bushings, on yours the left is already machined out and has a solid busing. I think you just need to knock the floating bushings out of the replacement engine and machine a solid bushing up for the right side to take up the difference there.

BrianB

I get you, that's great. Thanks very much, appreciate the help ????

RPM - Robert

Did your engine toss a rod? Why do you think it's an anchor now?

Edit: The right is the rubber bushing so you would need to open the case up enough to accept the rubber bushing. The left side has the solid bushing. You would need to pull your solid bushing and I believe machine that hole out as well. Also, I know there is a post somewhere here that someone has done this or the reverse of this. I just don't have time to search right now.

BrianB

I've luckily managed to locate a 3cv engine from '89...phew, problem solved. Appreciate the help though Robert, thank you.