News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Carb to airbox intake boots

Started by maxherman05, September 21, 2022, 06:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxherman05

Looks like my 92 FJ1200 has fallen victim to the airbox to carburetor boots cracking and dry rotting. Anybody know where I can get a set of those or will I have to get a whole new airbox. I will upload a picture soon

FJmonkey

No worries, just brush on a healthy amount of liquid electrical tape, or other elastomeric bonding products and you will get your Kookaloo back. NO!  :shok:

These parts can be found in good to new condition, search times and results may vary. You could also remove the air box and use pod type filters. My UNI-dual pod filters worked much better than the K&N filter in my air box. Soot and grit are nearly gone in the intake side after using the UNI pods. Less wear and tear on the carb innards.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

maxherman05

If I purchase the uni pods from RPM will I have to do anything with the carbs like rejet or anything? I don't want to have to do that

Motofun

Think of the engine as an air pump with an orifice at the front and one at the end.  If the rear orifice (ie the exhaust) is stock and you open up the front by going with pods there won't be a significant change.  If both oricices are opened up then the fuel to air ratio will be somewhat affected.  This can usually be addressed by shimming the needles for acceptable results.  Real performance would require time on either the race track or a dyno.  Tuning carbs is becoming a lost art. Modern fuel injection mapping is so much easier and quicker that every dyno guy I know won't touch carbs anymore...just takes too much time and effort.
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

maxherman05

So if I put the pods on will it affect the performance at all? Is there even a fuel mixture adjustment on the stock mikuni bs36 carbs? I love my fj but I hate carburetors.

FJmonkey

Quote from: maxherman05 on September 22, 2022, 07:50:09 AM
So if I put the pods on will it affect the performance at all? Is there even a fuel mixture adjustment on the stock mikuni bs36 carbs? I love my fj but I hate carburetors.

I think he answered that question. "If the rear orifice (ie the exhaust) is stock and you open up the front by going with pods there won't be a significant change."
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side