News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Bad start from a no start

Started by gumby302ho, April 28, 2022, 11:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumby302ho

Well its the start of the season up here and my first real lick of trouble for my ITX has came up. I am going to trouble shoot tomorrow and clean up connections and check for power at the coils and ohm them out and whatever else the manual leads me but my question is parts. If it turns out I need coils or TCI modual where can I get them. Is there a good manufacture that makes good electrical components, is there still OEM or is ebay my only option. I just want to get the ball rolling. Insurance renewal is May 5th and they get pissy when you cancel. Hopefully its a bad connector or ground someplace fingers crossed. A woman in Pembroke last week has already died on a motorcycle, I did not get details but the roads are very sandy and have lots of bumps and heaves this time of year so one needs to be very careful.

Millietant

Care is definitely required, especially on your first rides after a winter lay-off.

Bikes usually need a bit of attention to get them ready for the new season, and riders do too - skills go rusty, hazard perception deteriorates, senses are dulled, muscle memory takes time to kick in - once she's up and running properly, maybe take on a rider training session, just to bring your body/brain back up to "riding fitness". :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

gdfj12

Ebay is one source for spare parts. The first thing is to check all connections for cleanliness and corrosion. Clean up as needed. I and a few others like to use dielectric grease (a thick silicone based grease) to help keep moisture and oxygen out of connectors. There are aftermarket coils available. I've acquired 4 coil-on-plug coils from an R1 or some such that should fit and be fairly easy to wire up in tandem to replace the stock plugs. There is also at least 2 options for aftermarket TCI modules that can work with our FJ's.

In the Spring, on my first couple of shake down runs I like to go to a nearby parking lot and refamiliarize myself with my little beast to clean out any cobwebs and so we both get home safely.  :good2:

George D
George D
'89 FJ1250 ~'90-black/blue
'87 FJ1250 ~streetfighter project
'89 FJ1200 ~white/silver, resto project
'88 Honda Hawk GT, resto project

gumby302ho

Well Lady Luck has treated me well this early afternoon. I pulled the top and sides off the ITX and was happy to see spark on 3 an4 but spark looked very weak on 1 an 2. Pulled all connectors apart and cleaned them up( DeoxIT D-series ) and put back together with yes sir I use the fancy diaelectric grease and cant stand that stuff on my fingers anyway I pushed the magic button and it fired after one rotation! yes got off easy there, thank you FJ. And as far as rider needs to get in tune for the season I believe that 100% and I think most should focus on slow speed skills, going fast is to easy its the slow speed skill that needs the seasonal tuneup! Oh and that cleaner I mentioned that I use came from the Audiophiles realm and used for old Hi-Fi gear which I bought it for. Dont laugh as I am a collector of old vintage Realistic Recievers. Next will be the avon first time for me radial tire on the back of my vintage 16 incher.

Millietant

Great to hear you got it sorted easily. Hope you enjoy her. Those Avon's are a great choice

I have a feeling its going to be a great summer for you  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.