News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Hello from British Columbia, Canada

Started by AndyBCcoast, February 06, 2022, 06:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyBCcoast

Hi

I am new to the forum and have just bought two FJ1100's, a 1984 and a 1985.  They are cosmetically in pretty decent shape and one of the bikes was owned by seller for 30 years. 

I can remember back in the '80's when these bikes first came out and the stir they created.  I have ridden a variety of bikes over the last forty years and am looking forward to resurrecting these two beauties.  I saw them advertised and found them wrapped up and looking a bit forlorn in a shipping container.  They were put away, initially for a few weeks, but that stretched to more than two years, and as a result I wasn't able to hear them run.  They came with a third, parts bike an FJ1200 that is probably beyond economically restoration.  It was a bit of a leap of faith to buy them, but this forum seems to have a mine of information and I am very impressed with the willingness to share the accumulated FJ wisdom.  My hope is to get at least one of the bikes up and running for the Spring and put a few miles on it.  If there are any BC-based FJ owner that want to reach out with a PM, please feel free to get in touch.

All the best

Andy
Located on Saltspring Island, BC
Currently have a collection of bikes, including a '84 and '85 FJ1100, Norton Commando, a Norton Model 18, a Ducati Pantah, a 500 Moto Morini, a WL45 Harley Davidson, and an R60/2 BMW.  Ongoing car projects are a Triumph TR3A and an MGA.  Plenty to do...

Pat Conlon

Welcome Andy, great introduction.... yes, looking at your collection, you do have a lot to do....good for you!

Let us know how we can help. 

Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

AndyBCcoast

Many thanks for the welcome Pat, yes, the workshop is a bit full at the moment and I seem to be putting a few miles on each bike as I shuffle them around my work space!

I am on the hunt for a 1984 gas cap (Yamaha part number 50H2460203)....  If you happen to have one lying around or have a friend with one who would be willing to part with it, please get in touch!

All the best

Andy
Currently have a collection of bikes, including a '84 and '85 FJ1100, Norton Commando, a Norton Model 18, a Ducati Pantah, a 500 Moto Morini, a WL45 Harley Davidson, and an R60/2 BMW.  Ongoing car projects are a Triumph TR3A and an MGA.  Plenty to do...

big r

There is one FJ owner on the Island. His name is Derek and he lives in Naniamo. Awesome guy

AndyBCcoast

That's good to know.  Is Derek on this forum?

Derek Young

Welcome Andy. I'm not far away in Nanaimo. Good luck with the restoration projects.

Just a warning, restoration projects can easily turn into modification projects... so I've heard....

Derek
1986 FJ1200 (R.I.P.)
1991 FJ1200
Nanaimo, British Columbia

aviationfred

Quote from: AndyBCcoast on February 06, 2022, 07:32:14 PM

I am on the hunt for a 1984 gas cap (Yamaha part number 50H2460203)....  If you happen to have one lying around or have a friend with one who would be willing to part with it, please get in touch!

All the best

Andy

Welcome to the forum :hi:

Finding a FJ1100 fuel cap is about as easy as finding some hens teeth. Unless you are absolutely rigid on restoring the 84 to pristine condition, my advise is to use a 1986/1987 FJ1200 fuel tank and paint it too match your 84. The 1TX FJ1200 fuel tank is a direct swap. The photo is a 1985 1100 with a 1986 1200 fuel tank

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

AndyBCcoast

Hi Derek, Nanaimo..... practically neighbours!

I hear you with regard to restoration project creep, I think that the possible unavailability of parts might make some creative solutions a must...

All the best

Andy

AndyBCcoast

Quote from: aviationfred on February 06, 2022, 08:41:52 PM
Quote from: AndyBCcoast on February 06, 2022, 07:32:14 PM

I am on the hunt for a 1984 gas cap (Yamaha part number 50H2460203)....  If you happen to have one lying around or have a friend with one who would be willing to part with it, please get in touch!

All the best

Andy

Welcome to the forum :hi:

Finding a FJ1100 fuel cap is about as easy as finding some hens teeth. Unless you are absolutely rigid on restoring the 84 to pristine condition, my advise is to use a 1986/1987 FJ1200 fuel tank and paint it too match your 84. The 1TX FJ1200 fuel tank is a direct swap. The photo is a 1985 1100 with a 1986 1200 fuel tank

Fred

Hi Fred, thanks for the advice, you are absolutely correct with the 1200 suggestion, and that is exactly what the former owner has done.  The 1984 bike has a 1200 gas tank, so I might simply have to go with that.  The annoying thing is that he painted up the original 1984 tank to match the rest of the bike and then ended up putting the 1200 tank on which doesn't really match....  I think I might end up having to repaint the 1200 tank, but am pretty sure that once I do that, a gas cap will show up....

Millietant

Welcome to the family Andy- the good news for you is that parts are generally very readily available for all of the FJ's apart from a few "specifics", so keeping one on the road and in good order is a piece of cake.

However, resisting the urge to tinker/modify/upgrade is MUCH more difficult  :sarcastic:

What a few FJ owners on this forum have done to our bikes (with so little effort/time) shows how Yamaha really missed the boat on developing the FJ to keep it "current", with virtually no cost.

The good news from this is that it also shows how easy it is to modify/update the FJ, without needing an engineering degree, or a mechanics qualification/experience  :good2:

Good luck with getting them back on the road and I know you'll enjoy it when the first one takes you for a ride  :sarcastic: They're lovely, comfy, high speed slippers !!!
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

AndyBCcoast

Hi

Thanks for the welcome.  I am very excited to start on the TLC required to get these bikes back up and running.  I have a 1959 MGA that is taking up the workshop space at the moment, however it is probably two weeks away from finally being done and, once out of there, the FJ's can come in...  I have already found out about the gas cap woes, but I will keep hunting and may end up repainting everything in the Spring anyway.

Once I have the bikes running, what would your sensible upgrades be?  To your knowledge, are there any other 1984/1985 parts that are unobtainable?  I'd be very intrigued to know...

All the best

Andy

ribbert

Quote from: AndyBCcoast on February 07, 2022, 11:14:35 PM
Hi

....I have a 1959 MGA that is taking up the workshop space at the moment, however it is probably two weeks away from finally being done and, once out of there....

Andy

Haha, c'mon Andy. Ive been involved professionally and personally in vehicle restoration all my working life and one thing I can tell you about saying a car resto will be finished in two weeks is ....... :lol:

Anyway, you obviously have restoration skills and will find the bike refreshingly simple after the car, good luck with it, you've landed in the right place for assistance.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Millietant

Quote from: AndyBCcoast on February 07, 2022, 11:14:35 PM
To your knowledge, are there any other 1984/1985 parts that are unobtainable?  I'd be very intrigued to know...

All the best

Andy

There are very few parts that are "unobtainable", as long as they don't have to be brand new and original Yamaha parts - it's just that some take a bit of finding, or time to find.

To be fair, engine parts are pretty simple due to the Legends race car series and the ongoing XJR 1200/1300 model runs, plus in the USA/Canada, you have our forum hosts RPM to help out.

It's the bodywork and some ancillary pieces that can be difficult to get hold of - the ones that get worn out by constant use, or broken in spills/tip-over's.

There are so many "substitutions" that can be made that actually improve the FJ, unless you're a concours purist, you'll be fine.  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

AndyBCcoast

Hi Noel

Thanks for the welcome, I know I landed in the right place when, yesterday, I was able to search the FJ forum archive from my workshop and in one minute find out how to remove the seat....  So far seats and tanks are off and I am just poking around and seeing what I have bought.

I laughed at your car restoration comment, so true!  Here I have a confession to make, the MGA was originally bought by my friend, Ron, back in 1994 from California and he has been restoring it, in fits and starts, over the last 28 years.  Unfortunately, in 2021 ill-health finally intervened and he had to stop any further work.  He was SO close to completing it too; he needed to hang the doors and hood, and put on the carpets and seats. 

I bought the project a few weeks ago and have been going over the car from front to back.  There were a few things that needed to be addressed, but overall Ron had done a great job.  I hope to have it done pretty soon and after a week or so of shakedown, will give the car back to Ron and Doris so they can have it for a few weeks of Spring driving.  Having had it in their garage for 28 years I think that they deserve to have some fun driving it! 

I am sure that as I get deeper into the FJ's I will have a few questions. 

All the best

Andy

AndyBCcoast

Thanks Dean, that is good to know.  I think the most elusive item seems to be that gas cap!

Cheers

Andy