News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hello from Colorado

Started by Toddr44, February 03, 2022, 09:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantkiller

Quote from: red on February 05, 2022, 09:40:32 PM
Quote from: Toddr44 on February 05, 2022, 06:03:06 PMIt's in really nice original condition but it hasn't been ridden in a while so I hope I don't unearth any issues.
Cheers,
Todd
Todd,

Seafoam in the gas tank is magic, although it is not instant magic.  Add the correct amount (per label directions) to the gas, and run the bike normally.  You will probably fix that rough idle before the container is empty.  Your carbs will soon look very new inside, maybe beyond what may be expected.  When it comes to carbs, I would say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Any time you open a can of worms, you will probably need a bigger can to put them all away.   :biggrin: 
I've found amzoil quickshot. Works much better than seafoam. I just used it on a 2 stroke snowblower that sat for 8years.  Was told gas tank was full when put away. Was empty when I got it just 2stroke oil left. Wouldn't fire even when on the electric starter. Put in about double the recommended dose. Cranked it over a few times. Left it sit till I got home from work. The next night. It fired right up. Did same with a weed whacker. I've  never really noticed seafoam working. Just assumed it was working.
Anyway nice bike. Welcome. To the insanity  :wacko3:

I have a sister who lives in Golden. I'll have to go visit her. Whenever you guys decide on a run.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

giantkiller

Quote from: fj1289 on February 05, 2022, 05:43:54 PM
Quote from: aviationfred on February 05, 2022, 02:27:39 PM
The weekends that I can do this are.....

August 19-21
September 2-4
September 16-18

Fred

I vote for the Aug 19-21 weekend
I vote for August 19-21 also.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

aviationfred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

gixxerfixxer

Quote from: Toddr44 on February 05, 2022, 06:03:06 PM
I can be pretty flexible assuming I don't run into any major issues getting the bike freshened up. It's in really nice original condition but it hasn't been ridden in a while so I hope I don't unearth any issues. While I'm at it, do you guys have any suggestions for a good tech in the area to have it looked at? The previous owner says everything is good other than a slight rough idle and that the front brakes may need to be bled. I'd rather find a good independent tech with knowledge of these bikes.

Cheers,
Todd
hi Todd, beautiful bike!
im over in Westcliffe, not too far from you
i would be happy to pull those carbs for you- you could just get some new pilot and main jets so you don have to worry about cleaning them-even go a size or 2 smaller on the mains to compensate for the altitude
you would have to get the bike to my little garage though
hope to catch a ride or few with you this summer either way, i just put new rubber on today! :good2: (i did the 17" conversion so i cant offer you anything for the stock wheels)
Cheers!
Eric

fj1289

Eric - are you the same "gixxerfixer" on suzukihayabusa.org?  Welcome!  :drinks:

Millietant

Yeah, come on Eric, introduce yourself  :sarcastic:  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

gixxerfixxer

Quote from: fj1289 on February 20, 2022, 08:18:35 AM
Eric - are you the same "gixxerfixer" on suzukihayabusa.org?  Welcome!  :drinks:

nope , some mechanically challenged folks i used to ride with started calling me that when i took care of some  issues on their bikes for them
thanks for the welcome though, although not new here

gixxerfixxer

Quote from: Millietant on February 20, 2022, 09:47:57 AM

thank you , but i need to apologize for being accidentally misleading;
i moved , same state ,CO,   last year and been remodeling the little cabin we moved into since
i lost my log in info during this time and just started a new account- not really too much info or input offered under my previous username "yaman" so it really was no loss to me
i have been inactive for quite sometime, i suppose i could "reintroduce" myself heh
thank you for the kind invite either way Millietant :good2:

fj1289

Quote from: gixxerfixxer on February 20, 2022, 09:59:55 AM
Quote from: fj1289 on February 20, 2022, 08:18:35 AM

nope , some mechanically challenged folks i used to ride with started calling me that when i took care of some  issues on their bikes for them
thanks for the welcome though, although not new here

Then welcome "again"!

Millietant

Quote from: gixxerfixxer on February 20, 2022, 10:06:46 AM
Quote from: Millietant on February 20, 2022, 09:47:57 AM

thank you , but i need to apologize for being accidentally misleading;
i moved , same state ,CO,   last year and been remodeling the little cabin we moved into since
i lost my log in info during this time and just started a new account- not really too much info or input offered under my previous username "yaman" so it really was no loss to me
i have been inactive for quite sometime, i suppose i could "reintroduce" myself heh
thank you for the kind invite either way Millietant :good2:

I've been to Colorado a couple of times on holiday trips in a motorhome (and had a short stay in Denver, which I liked) - what a great place to be  :good2:

You should be well set for riding buddies on here, I'm sure there are at least a couple of members who will be happy to meet up with you, whether it's for a ride out, or just meeting up for fixing stuff and coffee.

Keep us to speed on how things are going with the bike - and remember, we LOVE photographs  :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

gdfj12

A Pike's Peak run Aug. 19-21 sounds good to me & my wife Kris. We will see if we can swing out there to meet everyone. Does anyone have any recommendations for a campground nearby? I just hope her 390 Duke is up to climbing that hill. I know it can do a shorter 25% grade we found going up to The Lodge at Amicalola Falls State Park in North GA. We lived North of Denver and in Boulder from 1992-1995 and have driven up Pikes Peak in a car.

George & Kris D
gdfj12
George D
'89 FJ1250 ~'90-black/blue
'87 FJ1250 ~streetfighter project
'89 FJ1200 ~white/silver, resto project
'88 Honda Hawk GT, resto project

fj1289

Quote from: gdfj12 on February 21, 2022, 01:45:23 PM
A Pike's Peak run Aug. 19-21 sounds good to me & my wife Kris. We will see if we can swing out there to meet everyone. Does anyone have any recommendations for a campground nearby? I just hope her 390 Duke is up to climbing that hill. I know it can do a shorter 25% grade we found going up to The Lodge at Amicalola Falls State Park in North GA. We lived North of Denver and in Boulder from 1992-1995 and have driven up Pikes Peak in a car.

George & Kris D
gdfj12

You might be a bit disappointed - it's paved all the way to the top now

gdfj12

I generally prefer paved roads when riding my FJ. There have been incidents on gravel roads and harrowing 'adventures' up and down rutted storm ravaged gravel 2-tracks that make me cautious of riding on gravel roads.  :shok: :dance:

George D
George D
'89 FJ1250 ~'90-black/blue
'87 FJ1250 ~streetfighter project
'89 FJ1200 ~white/silver, resto project
'88 Honda Hawk GT, resto project