News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hello from Colorado

Started by Toddr44, February 03, 2022, 09:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toddr44

Heck yeah. Rudy's is pretty darn good. Not much of a ride for me (10 minutes) but I'd meet you guys anytime. Let me know!
2021 Harley Road glide CVO
1997 Yamaha FJ1200

fj1289

Welcome!  Not too far from Franktown!  Beautiful bike!  I really prefer the red over white vs the white over red (that combo never seemed right to me).  Amazing how many pristine examples are starting to show up.   Really makes me want to do a resto-modded FJ...I've always had a hard time spelling "stock" when it comes to motorcycles....

I really need to just get the street bike back on the road again ... but after the race bike!

There's quite a few FJ's in the area - we should shoot for a group Pikes Peak ride (at the end of summer)  :drinks:

Toddr44

1997 Yamaha FJ1200

aviationfred

Quote from: fj1289 on February 04, 2022, 08:43:10 PM

There's quite a few FJ's in the area - we should shoot for a group Pikes Peak ride (at the end of summer)  :drinks:

I'm in for that. I have a 3 day weekend every other week. I can ride out to Colorado Springs on a Friday, ride on Saturday and spend some time with a few fellow FJ owners. Then ride home on Sunday. I have nothing planned for late August or early September.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Firehawk068

Quote from: fj1289 on February 04, 2022, 08:43:10 PM
we should shoot for a group Pikes Peak ride (at the end of summer)  :drinks:

I'm down for that as well!
We can check out the brand-new "Summit House"
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

fj1289

Alan - what's the latest in the summer you think we could have some reliable weather for Pikes Peak?  I need to put a public deadline over my head to get the street bike running again!

Firehawk068

Quote from: fj1289 on February 05, 2022, 01:23:20 PM
Alan - what's the latest in the summer you think we could have some reliable weather for Pikes Peak?  I need to put a public deadline over my head to get the street bike running again!

I would say: most years, probably mid-September.
I've been up there late October on a warm fall day............Although it could snow up there at any time, even mid-summer.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

aviationfred

The weekends that I can do this are.....

August 19-21
September 2-4
September 16-18

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

fj1289

Quote from: aviationfred on February 05, 2022, 02:27:39 PM
The weekends that I can do this are.....

August 19-21
September 2-4
September 16-18

Fred

I vote for the Aug 19-21 weekend

Toddr44

I can be pretty flexible assuming I don't run into any major issues getting the bike freshened up. It's in really nice original condition but it hasn't been ridden in a while so I hope I don't unearth any issues. While I'm at it, do you guys have any suggestions for a good tech in the area to have it looked at? The previous owner says everything is good other than a slight rough idle and that the front brakes may need to be bled. I'd rather find a good independent tech with knowledge of these bikes.

Cheers,
Todd
1997 Yamaha FJ1200

Pat Conlon

Alan (Firehawk) would be my choice. He did a top notch job on an '84, he absolutely knows his stuff.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

fj1289

If Alan is up for it - definitely!  If not, then MAYBE Moto Works in Denver.  I've gone by and talked to them previously, but haven't gotten work done there personally - they seem versed in older bikes.  Another idea would be to go by Woodys Wheel Works in Denver and get their advice - they've been part of the Colorado motorcycle scene forever.  

Also consider doing the work yourself.  Randy and Robert at RPM (the banner at the top of the page) are awesome and if you need something you don't see on the website just shoot them an email.  They are a Yamaha parts dealer and import conexes full of Yamaha goodies (quarterly?). They have even been able to get Yamaha to un-discontinue a few items for the FJ.   Also LOTS of advice and help available here - both online and in-person if you get in a bit deep.  The FJ is not complex and people around here have just about seen, done, and fixed it all.   Plus ... you build skills for when moditis hits!!  :sarcastic:

Toddr44

Excellent advice, thank you guys. And "Un-discontinued" is my new favorite word!
1997 Yamaha FJ1200

red

Quote from: Toddr44 on February 05, 2022, 06:03:06 PMIt's in really nice original condition but it hasn't been ridden in a while so I hope I don't unearth any issues.
Cheers,
Todd
Todd,

Seafoam in the gas tank is magic, although it is not instant magic.  Add the correct amount (per label directions) to the gas, and run the bike normally.  You will probably fix that rough idle before the container is empty.  Your carbs will soon look very new inside, maybe beyond what may be expected.  When it comes to carbs, I would say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Any time you open a can of worms, you will probably need a bigger can to put them all away.   :biggrin: 
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Toddr44

1997 Yamaha FJ1200