News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

RPM fork brace fitment, and a clutch m/c question

Started by aigram, May 19, 2021, 04:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigram

Got a couple easy questions for the forum!
1) I installed a RPM forkbrace this year and have not been able to get the left side of it to clamp down with no visible gap, without hulking out/overtightening; The right side clamps down flush. I've included two pictures below. Is this a problem, or is the brace still doing it's job just fine?
2) Is there supposed to be a nut on the bolt that passes through the clutch lever? I've included a picture. Basically, should there be a nut where it looks like there should be one, in the red circle?
Alex
1989 FJ1200 3CV

aigram

My apologies on how horrific the first two pictures look! I have no idea why that happened. Hopefully people can still tell what I'm referring to.
Alex
1989 FJ1200 3CV

FJmonkey

The brace needs a small gap. Otherwise the two halves may bottom out and not clamp to the fork tube. Not sure about the nut on the MC.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aigram

Quote from: FJmonkey on May 19, 2021, 04:47:23 PM
The brace needs a small gap. Otherwise the two halves may bottom out and not clamp to the fork tube. Not sure about the nut on the MC.

Understood about the gap. I'll try and rebalance the brace and see what I end up with.
I've looked at the Master Cylinder 2 diagram and part #10 is a nut that looks like it should go where that red circle is, but it's drawn on the diagram in a less than clear to me way. Almost seems like it's between the MC and the lever, which doesn't make sense to me. I'm almost certain that this was a victim of 32 years of vibration.
Alex
1989 FJ1200 3CV

Sparky84

Quote from: aigram on May 19, 2021, 05:11:20 PM
Quote from: FJmonkey on May 19, 2021, 04:47:23 PM

Understood about the gap. I'll try and rebalance the brace and see what I end up with.
I've looked at the Master Cylinder 2 diagram and part #10 is a nut that looks like it should go where that red circle is, but it's drawn on the diagram in a less than clear to me way. Almost seems like it's between the MC and the lever, which doesn't make sense to me. I'm almost certain that this was a victim of 32 years of vibration.

Yep, nut required and it's a nyloc style, so it can be tight but not "clamping tight" if you get my meaning
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

Millietant

Quote from: aigram on May 19, 2021, 04:42:50 PM
2) Is there supposed to be a nut on the bolt that passes through the clutch lever? I've included a picture. Basically, should there be a nut where it looks like there should be one, in the red circle?

Yes, there should be a nut where the red circle is. A stainless steel nylock nut and flat washer should do the trick and not vibrate loose again. Just don't overtighten it.  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.