News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

***CANCELLED**** 2020 West Coast Rally, Bucks Lake, Ca - May 28-31

Started by racerrad8, February 07, 2020, 11:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyoutandabout

life without a bike is just life

moparman70

Quote from: andyoutandabout on February 23, 2020, 08:04:40 PM
Attending:
Travis  - T Legg
Ian      - Ian_legg
Rick     - ZOA NOM
Ms. ZOA
San Dimas Mike (no Tina)
Steve   - Moparman70 ( and Mrs. Mopar Kris )  Timberline Inn ( not booked yet but soon deciding on number of days )
Mark    - FJmonkey (splitting a cabin to save $)
Ron      - roortcloud
Paul     - Carson City Paul (Timberline Inn)
Pat       - Pat Conlon. (Timberline)
Andy    - Andyoutandabout

confirming the addition of Kris and Timberline plan

Mike 86 in San Dimas

So Cal riders, maybe we can coordinate to ride up together. 
Mike

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Quote from: Pat Conlon on February 23, 2020, 02:09:34 PM
SoCal Riders note: I will be leaving Palm Desert on Tuesday 5/26 and riding up (395) to Carson City to spend a few nights there at Lawson's house.
Paul and I will then have an easy ride ride over the Sierra's on Thursday to check in to the Timberline Inn on Thursday afternoon.

Mike, Mark, Steve, Ryan (or others) if you guys want to join me on the Tuesday ride up..we have plenty of room at Lawson's Carson City house.

My dad use to say "guess you miss a lot when you don know how to read"

That sounds good. I believe I am in on that ride with you. Thanks!
Mike

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

T Legg

Ian and I took a ride to Bucks lake on Friday. A friend of Ian's with a big 1600cc BMW invited him for a ride out to Portola with a couple of Harleys. That is halfway to Bucks lake from Reno so we thought a slow ride halfway out would be ok then we would go on our seperate way to Bucks lake. We pulled up to the meeting place and there was a group of riders that included a Kawasaki H-2R, a ZX14R,a Hyabusa, a Yamaha R-1,andR-6, a GSXR 1000, a ZX10R,Ian's ZZR1200,my FJ1100 the BMW and two fat Harleys. The route was discussed and the first stop point was chosen as Chilcoot California. It was hilarious the Two Harleys pulled out first while everyone else was still putting on helmets and gloves. The entire first leg of the ride there was this tightly packed group of superbikes riding in formation behind two ambling Harleys doing 65-70 mph for forty five miles. No one broke rank but at the first stop I've never seen more frustrated faces . I overheard a kid in his thirty's telling another rider " I never thought we would do the speed limit the whole way". Thank God a decision was made by the group to head south down to Downieville instead of continuing on to Portola freeing me and Ian to ride on by ourselves. Nobody waited for the Harleys this time there were bikes blasting out of the parking lot as fast as they could get out.
T Legg

T Legg

Unchained from the group the next fifty miles to Quincy were beautiful and quick. Before we new it we were 17  miles from Bucks lake having lunch at a great Mexican/American restaurant called Paradise Grill in Quincy. After lunch we headed up Bucks Lake road. The next ten miles were nice twisty road through beautiful meadows past pastures, 100 year old barns and ranches with a few cabins and small resorts. Unfortunately the use of pea gravel for snow control and all the logging and dirt ranch roads required cautious riding. After passing through Meadow valley about six mile from the lake we began to see patchy snow beside the road. It was only about 8" to a foot deep in the deepest spots. The snow was soft heavily melted remnants of the winter snowpack. Four scenic miles later we reached the summit only two miles from our goal. The summit is where they stop plowing snow. A sign says no wheeled vehicles beyond this point. The summit is a widened section with dozens of parking spaces with snow grooming equipment,snow mobiles and several Jeeps with the wheels replaced by caterpillar tracks. Apparently Bucks lake road beyond this point is maintained as a winter recreation road for the season and they haven't given up on winter quite yet and plowed it. If only we had brought our chains we could have made it the rest of the way.
T Legg

T Legg

T Legg

T Legg

We went down almost back to Meadow valley where Big Creek road splits off that  parallels Bucks lake road and rejoins it by the lake but it is also not maintained. It had some debris and obstacles but we were once again stopped by snow. If they plowed the foot of snow on the road we could have easily made it. We are going to ride again next month. The weather on the ride was fantastic. It was in the mid fifty's. It is incredibly beautiful there large trees nice rock formations creeks and of course the lake. I can't wait for the rally.
T Legg

Tuned forks

Once again Travis, your report includes amazing pictures.  Such beautiful country.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Quote from: andyoutandabout on February 23, 2020, 08:04:40 PM
Attending:
Travis  - T Legg
Ian      - Ian_legg
Rick     - ZOA NOM
Ms. ZOA
San Dimas Mike (no Tina)
Steve   - Moparman70 ( maybe Mrs. Mopar Kris )
Mark    - FJmonkey (splitting a cabin to save $)
Ron      - roortcloud
Paul     - Carson City Paul (Timberline Inn)
Pat       - Pat Conlon. (Timberline)
Andy    - Andyoutandabout
Booked a room for Mark and me at Timberline. Mark says he wants to spoon. Heck with that... I want to fork.      :crazy:      Spoke to Rebbecca. Its snowing there now.
Mike

T Legg

Well I got a call from Rebecca at Bucks lodge tonight. I'm a little disappointed she didn't give us a warning first but they have booked the remaining rooms at the Timberline inn. At this point as far as I know the only rooms we have booked are a double bed room for Mark and Mike and I have the eight person cabin that has three bedrooms with double beds and two twin beds.Ian and I can use the two twin beds the bedrooms with the double beds can be used by any couples (Rick and wife,Steve Mopar man and wife)that leaves Pat ,Paul and Andy to fit in one double bed(no forking allowed). I have no problem with having sleeping bags on the floor of the cabin to accomodate anybody who needs a place to stay. I will be bringing my sleeping bag and mat so if someone has difficulty sleeping on the floor they can have my twin bed.It could be a bit cozy but the cost of the cabin split nine ways would be less than twenty bucks a day. She said she has an rv that could be rented as well.She also said she could change Mark and Mike to a small cabin for the same price as the room they booked.I'm sorry we didn't get a warning first. Any way it is time to make final plans to have this work.If any one was planning an extended stay past Sunday I will see if they can keep the cabin longer.
T Legg

Pat Conlon

On Feb 22nd I called and gave them my credit card # to reserve a room for Paul and I.....

Are you saying they gave my reservation away?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

T Legg

Sorry Pat I got it wrong when I talked to her last night. The reservation you made for a Timberline room with two beds is still good  and so is the one that Mike and Mark made.She is going to call you and Mike and offer to exchange your rooms for four person cabins that have two double beds in each cabin for the same price as the rooms you reserved. So we will have two cabins with two beds each and the eight person cabin with three bedrooms with double beds and two twin beds. So it looks like everybody will have their own bed. I am still willing to fit anyone who wants to come into the eight room cabin and she is trying to get one more small cabin with one double bed ready for us.
T Legg