News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Fork internal spacer installed upside down.

Started by MACHV, December 06, 2019, 10:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACHV

My first ever fork rebuild/spring upgrade and discovered one of these aluminum tapered spacers was installed upside down by the/a PO and as stuck inside the fork body. Fortunately there was some distance between where the spacer stopped in the hole and the bottom of the hole. A regular punch wouldn't reach so put a nut on some 3/8 threaded rod to act as a flange to catch the edge of the spacer, fed it through from the top end, caught the spacer edge, then used a punch through the bottom of the housing to knock it loose. Fortunately things came apart without incident.
It would seem that I have been riding this bike for 7 years with one spring slightly more compressed than the other due to how those spacers sit in one direction or the other.
FUN TIMES.
"I can assure you with no ego, that this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut"

fjaap

Some years ago I bought a set of spare forks for my 1100, because the chrome of the forks that were in use on the bike started pitting.
Man oh man, the spare forks had been assembled with hammer and chisel, also the internal spacers upside down an the damper rods had not been aligned properly with the correspondng holes in the damper units.
That caused the rods to go astray through the adjacent holes, causing the rods to get bent.
One of the inner tubes was bent, so I discarded the complete spare set and had the inner tubes of the set in use on the 1100 rechromed...