News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Indianapolis Moto GP

Started by Yamifj1200, February 07, 2009, 08:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yamifj1200

I wanted to share our trip out to Indianapolis for the first ever Moto GP event there.
   I left home at noon on Tuesday 9/9/08 in the pouring rain headed northwest to Audra State Park in West Va. The traffic was rather light on the interstate and even though the rain was coming down I was smiling inside my helmet because my adventure was finally beginning. Frank and I were to meet up at Audra for our ride to Indianapolis together. The rains stopped a couple of hours before I got to Audra State Park. Frank arrived an hour or so later.  I had just enough time to get my camp setup and heat up some tasty Dinty Moore stew when he arrived. Frank setup his camp in the dark and we were enjoying some good coffee and a fire in no time.

Wednesday we headed west via West VA, rt. 50 towards Parkersburg WV. Route 50 is a perfect FJ road and 68 miles of sweepers melted away as we headed west into Ohio. We were able to stay on rt. 50 in Ohio riding on to Athens Oh. In Athens we picked up rt. 56 a great two lane road that headed northwest to from Athens to just east of Dayton Oh. 
Rt. 56 started out as a twisty two lane crossing one small mountain after another for miles until we reached the flat farmland were we rode on enjoying just how far you can see across the large farms along the road. As it was getting late we decided to take Interstate 70 West through the rest of Ohio and into Indiana. While we did make good time on the interstate we had to deal with some crazy traffic while we also had the intensity of the setting sun burning out our retinas. ....It was time to stop for dinner and a nice sunset. 

After dinner we rode the rest of the way to Indianapolis and arrived at the Lot 4 campground around 12:05 am. While we were happy to have made a safe trip w discovered that we could not get into the campground until 7:00am. Not having a place to sleep makes for an interesting late night so we explored local Indianapolis back roads, chilled in a motel parking lot for a couple of hours, and Instead of camping in lot one, which unbeknown to us, was open for early arrivals, we ended up in the White Castle parking lot! Special thanks to a really cool manager who said we could get free refills and loiter as long as we wanted. For our early morning entertainment we watched the locals get their White Castle on and some crazy guy walking around talking to him self.

After relaxing (HA) until 6:00am we got back on the bikes and rode back to Lot 4 where we discovered that some other people had gotten in line ahead of us...   

We both were not very happy about this!

But we were ready when Bob the gate keeper finally opened up the lot and being on bikes we took advantage and filtered our way to the front ....therefore being the first people into lot 4 camping.... Mission accomplished for the primo camp spot.

We got all setup and tried to take a nap but it was blazing hot and sleeping was out of the question.
Since the track was open we headed over for the pit walk and Moto GP rider introductions.  Indianapolis Motor speedway is beyond huge and looks like a small city encased inside the massive stands. It was amazing and the atmosphere was electric. 

We hung around for a while watching the manufacture's set up their displays, ogled some Moto GP machinery in the pits, watched some street bike stuntahs and then headed back to camp for dinner.  Frank made up some marinated steak and chicken on wooden skewers that were cooked on the grill to perfection. Several other campers stopped by to check out our FJ's and our campsite. Some even asked where our truck was that carried in all the gear. It was all packed on the bikes I said with a laugh.

Friday began with a huge explosion, literally.  They did that each morning and afternoon. I suppose it was to announce the tracks opening and closing. We went to the track to watch all the classes practicing in the rain. Watching the riders learn a new track and in the rain was impressive.  When you watch the Moto GP bikes run in the rain they look slow on TV, they were insane in the rain. It was exciting to see the riders charge into the soaking wet corners at speed. I think Nicky was running in the high 170's on the straights in the rain... good stuff.

Casey Stoner pushed the front end and went down, Rossi road wide open down the front straight and right onto the oval. It was nuts. We walked back to camp and began cooking up some hamburgers for dinner. Each night our camp seemed to be the place where folks looking for a place to stay dry would end up. It's a great way to meet folks really.

We woke up Saturday to clear skis and a dry track. Frank called Jack and Nancy who were with Steve C. in the stands.  We met up with them to walk around looking at the vendors area and prepare for the afternoons practice session and qualifying for Sundays race.

We caught up with Rock and Barb that afternoon for the last session and enjoyed watching the action from the stands. Seeing the riders on a dry track for the first time was amazing, Nicky was smoking the rear tire all the way through some of the corners and he seemed determined to make a good showing while at Indy. The other riders were learning the track and their times reflected they were learning it in a hurry, sometimes dropping a second per lap trying to get close to the fastest times of the day. Back at camp, one of our neighbors and a new friend went to the store and brought back pork tenderloin and some onions and peppers. We fired up the grill and cooked up some very tasty pork and veggie shish kabobs. We ate and headed to the Fairgrounds for the flat track races scheduled for Saturday evening. The traffic was crazy heading for the fairgrounds and my new driving lights pulled my battery to zero in the heavy non moving traffic which in turn caused the bike to stall. I had to push my bike across the road in a not so great part of town, pulled the fuse for the lights and got a push start from Frank. Neither of us wanted to get back in that traffic, so we headed back to camp. Sorry Frank, I owe you for that one. I'll get your ticket for next year's flat track race. Once back at camp it was nice and quiet as most of the campers were attending the race that night.
Sunday morning we were hoping for another dry day but it wasn't going to happen. The weather was grey and ominous looking. We closed up our camp and headed over to see the 125 races followed by the Moto GP races. We hooked up with Rock and Barb and found a place to sit for the big show.

We could easily see 6 corners and the front straight. The 125 race was a great one with lots of close racing and the riders were being blown around quite a bit in the increasing winds. The GP race started after a short wait for the rains to pass. The GP riders got their start in light rain, followed by heavy rain and unbelievable winds gusting to 70+ mph.  Nicky had his head down and was rolling to the front. The crowd went nuts when he took the lead.

Nicky had them all covered until the track dried a bit and he toasted his tires. Valentio followed close behind and got his chance to pass Nicky for first place. There we were sitting in our rain gear watching the GP riders racing in Hurricane conditions with trash and debris being blown from all over the track.

The wind got so strong at one point that it destroyed the Yamaha vender's tent, with merchandise being blown all over the vender's area. The track decided to cancel the 250 race and we headed back to camp to see what was left of it.

We returned to camp only to see our new tents blown away, my tent had a broken pole and the rest were bent very badly. Frank's had a couple bent poles, but he was able to get it set back up in the high winds. Franks bike was also blown over in the storm, we picked it up and there wasn't a mark on it that we could see, not even a broken mirror! It was difficult in the windy conditions to move the tents back to our original site but it only took a short time to repair them and set camp back up.

It's a good thing we took the tarps down the day before, or they would not have survived the high winds. We were taking it easy after the storm and watched as the clouds finished passing over us and the wind began to die down. The evening sky after the storm was amazingly crystal clear and with a full moon the entire campground was lit up.

Monday, we loaded the bikes up said good bye to new friends and headed for home.  Once on the interstate we could see some of the damage from the storm with trees down and debris all over the place. It was like that for miles south into Kentucky where we headed east on Interstate 64. Riding through Kentucky was uneventful and in just 3 hours we were in West Va. looking for a place to stop for the night and have a good meal. We found a small Budget Host motel just east of Charleston WV. That had a great view of the river and also had a restaurant located right next door.  We checked in, had a nice meal and a good sleep before the last leg of our trip.

We woke up early, loaded the bikes and hit the road just after 8am, stopping a few miles later for gas and a biscuit for the 300 mile ride home. Frank headed south on Interstate 77 as I rode off to the east on Interstate 64 from Beckley WV. We waved goodbye and continued our separate ways.  I arrived home around 4pm that afternoon tired and sad that the trip was over.
  It has been a few years since I have been able to take an extended bike adventure.  I enjoy taking trips like this. Rain or shine, alone or with friends it is just the opportunity to spend some quality time with your bike, the road and your soul.  How often in our busy world do we get a chance to do that? Looking back it was the total experience that made this a great trip, the roads, sights, foods, races, the friends we met and sharing most the trip with a good friend. I can't wait to begin planning my next adventure..Anyone else want to go??

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Dan Filetti

Sounds like a great trip!  Although, I really do not like riding in the rain.  I have all the gear, but I have a real hard time relaxing and enjoying myself.  Sounds like that not an issue for you, congrats!  Seriously though, sounds like a great trip.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

dduchene

There was a pic floating around the web of a whole bunch of Duc's knocked over like Dominos. Looked like you guys had some real fun weather. Glad that it was all good in the end.

Denis

Steve C.

Eric, Frank and the others who camped out near the track are real troopers and as Eric mentioned now has a lifetime memory of the trip.  It was scary enough just being in the stands when the storm front moved through, watching the infield exhibit tents flying through the air and basically hunkering down during the worst of it.  We saw some of the carnage leaving the track, bad deal for those folks who's bike where damaged and then had to ride 'em home.
Steve C.
'17 KTM Super Duke GT
'16 Triumph Thruxton R
'14 Honda VFR800FD Interceptor
'08 Ducati HyperMotard
'08 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Track Only
'91 Yamaha FJ 1349
'79 Triumph 750 T140E
'72 Norton 750 Commando Combat
'72 Suzuki TM250J
(Yes, They All Run!!!!)

Yamifj1200

Quote from: Steve C. on February 08, 2009, 09:33:14 AM
Eric, Frank and the others who camped out near the track are real troopers and as Eric mentioned now has a lifetime memory of the trip.  It was scary enough just being in the stands when the storm front moved through, watching the infield exhibit tents flying through the air and basically hunkering down during the worst of it.  We saw some of the carnage leaving the track, bad deal for those folks who's bike where damaged and then had to ride 'em home.

Steve , it all worked out. I was able to rig my tent back up for the last nights stay at the track. I did get a dent in my gas tank by one of the big ass acorns being blown out of a tree at over 80 mph into my bike. Oh well now I can remember the moment forever with evidence to prove it..
Eric

racerman_27410

yes...... it was pretty windy

good thing i had a FJ there .....

to hold my tent up   ;D

KOokaloo!

Frank

Yamifj1200

Quote from: racerman_27410 on February 08, 2009, 11:24:21 AM
yes...... it was pretty windy

good thing i had a FJ there .....

to hold my tent up   ;D

KOokaloo!

Frank

Thats the go, my bikes not heavy!!! its well planted.......lol
Eric

dduchene

you know that it is serious when you see people start staking there bikes to ground. That looks it was a adventure for sure. Not sure that I would want to have shared in it. As Steve has said I am just not that much into the tent thing these days.

Denis

jvb_ca

Great report Eric. Thanx for that. Hoping to make some races this year. MotoGP would be nice.
Cheers...Jake
86FJ1200
Ontario

Steve C.

Hey Eric, too bad Jim S sold his FJ, maybe he would consider swapping tanks with you  :o...............and NO, you can't have mine. ;D  Seriously, sorry to hear about the ding, that was one hell of a frontal passage.  There were trees through people roofs (real houses) and power lines down as we left the 'hood.  I know some people were injured in the infield when some of those big commercial tents let loose.  Hell of a deal.
Steve C.
'17 KTM Super Duke GT
'16 Triumph Thruxton R
'08 Ducati HyperMotard
'91 Yamaha FJ 1349
'79 Triumph 750 T140E
'72 Suzuki TM250J
(Yes, They All Run!!!!)

Yamifj1200

Quote from: Steve C. on February 08, 2009, 07:17:32 PM
Hey Eric, too bad Jim S sold his FJ, maybe he would consider swapping tanks with you  :o...............and NO, you can't have mine. ;D  Seriously, sorry to hear about the ding, that was one hell of a frontal passage.  There were trees through people roofs (real houses) and power lines down as we left the 'hood.  I know some people were injured in the infield when some of those big commercial tents let loose.  Hell of a deal.

Oh well Steve shit happens ya know, in fact its a minor dent and most folks would never see it to begin with.
I have been able to find the dreaded right hand side panel in NOS condition after 10 years of searching. I dont think Im so anal that a little ding will mess with me much. It's also a reminder of me and Franks adventure to the first ever Moto GP race at Indianapolis. So I got that going for me......lol

Eric M

Steve C.

I've got a few shots from Indy but apparently my limited mental capacity this even prevents me from uploading them, what's the trick?
Steve C.
'17 KTM Super Duke GT
'16 Triumph Thruxton R
'08 Ducati HyperMotard
'91 Yamaha FJ 1349
'79 Triumph 750 T140E
'72 Suzuki TM250J
(Yes, They All Run!!!!)

racerman_27410

Steve,

get yerself a photobucket.com account....upload the pictures there then paste the image URL's into your post.....

like such

and such

KOokaloo!

Frank

dduchene

Steve, On the bottom left conner just under the box that you type the text in is a link that says "Additional options" When you click on this it will give 4 options. The last of the 4 is attach, Click on browse and it will open up a finder window for you to select the image on your computer that you want to upload. Next to browse is a little link for more attachments that you can click on to add more.

Denis

Yamifj1200

Quote from: Steve C. on February 08, 2009, 07:51:04 PM
I've got a few shots from Indy but apparently my limited mental capacity this even prevents me from uploading them, what's the trick?

Steve, Frank turned me on to Photbucket. I simply uploaded my pics and added the link to each pic from the photobucket site into my text and voila added pics to my trip report. Very cool and so simple even I can do it...

Eric M