News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

2017 WCR Trip Report & Photos

Started by racerrad8, May 30, 2017, 06:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

Quote from: jscgdunn on May 26, 2017, 08:31:53 AM
Two geezers made in the fifties. Two bike made in the eighties.  5,000 Kms.  What could go wrong?  We are on way.  Calgary- Kalispel - Grangeville - Snake River Canyon - Baker City - Alturas - Coloma...or something like that depending on roads and weather.

I received an email from Norm that he and Jeff made it back to Canada safely.

He also sent a photo of his Long Haul award.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

We are experiencing a heat wave in NorCal this week. By the time it is all done, they are estimating eleven days for temps of 100* F. Yesterday we topped out at 109 in Oakdale and today is going to be 110.

One thing I am glad of, here is this mornings forecast for Placerville where we were a couple of weeks ago...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

I am going to start out with my WCR reports with a huge thank you to everyone who attended and participated.

It was great to see old friends, meet new people and gather over the common interest, the Yamaha FJ1100/FJ1200.

It was sad that several of the regular attendees were not able to make it this year.

I want to thank everyone who attended to be a part of the 2017 WCR. From the personal feedback I have received the location was great, the roads are more than plentiful, and the catered meals were exceptionally well received.

We had a little strength contest, suggested by a member who was unable to attend. It was all for fun until LA Mike made it real for the contestants. I'll let the contestants offer their experiences with the contest.

I would like publicly thank some specific people who helped with the seemless effort put into the 2017 WCR.

Jeff Cox, Ron Chase for helping get some of the routes sorted early on.

Craig Zari and Mark Olson for getting the ride routes, including lunch and fuel stops finalized. I know it was short notice, but you guys offered up perfect rides.

Garth, thank you for putting together the AV system. There was a lot of good feedback about being able to watch the days videos in the company of FJ'ers.

Pat Conlon used his fatherly persuasion to get a great deal on the firewood. I hope that "girls church group" never has to buy wood from that vendor and your cover is blown...

Garth again for the Thermite. I do apologize for not knowing we needed a proper way to mix the fire starter ingredients.

Keary and Pam, Thank you. Keary sprained his ankle a couple of days before the WCR. He was unable to get his foot into a riding boot so he could ride. But he and Pam still attended. Both of them were there at a moments notice for anything we needed.

We had three volunteer judges for the "Most Modified" contest: Henning Ulsar, Mark Olson and Keary. I was impressed on the system they established to set a point value to modifications for a fair and unbiased judging of the bikes.

I would like to thank San Dimas Mike for the use of his PA system, who knew you would have that readily available in your trailer. That worked perfectly for the raffle and awards presentation.

My sons Robert and Ryan. Both of them help me immensely.

Robert, Ryan and I designed all of the trophies. With our combined vision of the trophy design, Ryan applied his TIG welding skills and put them all together. Many people referred to the trophies as works of art, and frankly I do not disagree.

Robert helps me each and everyday, from prepping for the WCR to loading up to head out to helping out where ever he can.

The biggest thank you I have to given is to my wife, Chandra. For the moment we started looking for the 2017 WCR location based on the 15th anniversary going back to Placerville. To the loading up to head home after the completion of the 2017 WCR. I have to give her all of the credit for the venue, the catered dinners, the preparation of breakfast, helping where ever she was needed. Helping with the raffle, making sure we had everything handled; she is my rock.

Like they say, behind every good man is a better woman.

Look forward to more of my reports in the coming days.

There are a couple of photos attached for your viewing pleasure. One of them is for our east coast brethren, hopefully someone got it from the front not the back like I have.

Thank you one and all, Randy - RPM

P.S. We cannot forget to hear about the violation of the cardinal rally rule by one of the attendees...
Randy - RPM

Urban_Legend

Wow. Great turn out. Looks like much fun was had.

The heat is relative. 109*F (42*c) is a normal summer temp for us in Australia. Engalnd is currenltly sweltering in 77*F (25*C). I do feel for you though. Hope the shop has airconditioning.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

racerrad8

Quote from: Urban_Legend on June 20, 2017, 07:08:03 PM
Wow. Great turn out. Looks like much fun was had.The heat is relative. 109*F (42*c) is a normal summer temp for us in Australia. Engalnd is currenltly sweltering in 77*F (25*C). I do feel for you though. Hope the shop has airconditioning.

Nope, no A/C in the shop...Steel roof & brick building; once it gets warmed up it is like an oven.

We get hot and see many 100* plus days annually, but this stretch is breaking records everyday for highest temps and most consecutive days of 100* plus.

San Francisco is even being effected, I am not sure if the made 90* the other day but  know they got real close if they didn't.

We start earlier in the morning when it is cooler and drink a bunch of water.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Firehawk068

I'd have to say the trophies that were provided were nothing short of Amazing!

I am not sure, but I believe this is a representation of Pat slaving away at the buffer-wheels  :sarcastic:

A special "Thank You" goes out to Randy, Chandra, and Sons. The effort put forth into the Location, the Organization, and the Food and Festivities tops all the lists!

I also want to specially thank Cap'n Ron for the very personal "Yamaha" key-chain gifts that he provided. Not many people know, but Ron was in the time-crunch of his life, and in the middle of a stressful move he still found the time to Design, Prototype, Fine-tune, and Make all of these as gifts for everyone.  :drinks: Cheers Brother!
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Flynt

Quote from: Firehawk068 on June 21, 2017, 07:57:10 PM
I'd have to say the trophies that were provided were nothing short of Amazing!

I can tell you the mod trophy Wiz won is proudly displayed at the Flynt abode...  a qualified work of art inspired and executed to perfection.

What a rally!

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Pat Conlon

Yes, what a rally it was....the new gold standard of FJ rallies. It can not get any better that that...

Thanks again to the Raduechel family!

Yeppers....Notice the smile on my face while working on the buffer?  These are the good 'ole days...life is good
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

jscgdunn

Quote from: racerrad8 on June 20, 2017, 11:30:07 AM
Quote from: jscgdunn on May 26, 2017, 08:31:53 AM
Two geezers made in the fifties. Two bike made in the eighties.  5,000 Kms.  What could go wrong?  We are on way.  Calgary- Kalispel - Grangeville - Snake River Canyon - Baker City - Alturas - Coloma...or something like that depending on roads and weather.

I received an email from Norm that he and Jeff made it back to Canada safely.

He also sent a photo of his Long Haul award.

Randy - RPM

Yes we did get back on the 10th.  Awesome ride in spectacular scenery all the way (well maybe except the Oregon high desert). .  Highlights....the Pincher Creek to Kalispel to Idaho 12.  Idaho 12 to Grangeville and the 95 to Cambridge.  From Coloma we too the 20 to Willits, then to Fort Bragg and up the coast.  we rode around the Olympic Peninsula (note self: when the sign says Rainforest 20 miles, it probably means it will rain!)  Took the ferry from Port Townsend, wa. to the Cascades Highway (20) and then back to Canada at Oysoyoos.  The 3 is incredible  from  Oysoyoos to Castlegar.  Well over 5,000 kms, not to mention the adventure riding up Mosquito Ridge.  No mechanical issues from the two old girls. 

Once again, thanks Randy and company for the organization, and great to see everyone again.

Jeff 
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

racerrad8

Guys, I have been playing around a little bit with my photos today.

Here is a little video I have complicated: https://youtu.be/nz3UXp94oFs

Enjoy, Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Here are the trophy photos:

Long Haul - Awarded to Norm who rode from Canada
Most Modded - Awarded to Flynt with Wizard
Show & Shine - Awarded to Father Pat
Strong Hand - I am sorry, I can't remember who won; Was it Zari?

I do remember who was the first one out of the strong hand competition...Good Ol' Andy.

Remember all of you 2019 WCR attendees, that has earned him the "Drink Bitch" shirt for 2019 since he skipped out trying to avoid it in 2018.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Flynt

Quote from: racerrad8 on April 06, 2019, 07:14:41 PM
Strong Hand - I am sorry, I can't remember who won; Was it Zari?

He and I were the finalists and I gave it to him...  then I gave him the arm wrestling challenge that followed.  He's got a fragile ego...

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

aviationfred

I really wanted to compete against Frank for the most modified. I think the 89 had a chance to win.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

ZOA NOM

It's all about ME!

My vote for 2020 is Coloma. Loved that Rally!
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

andyoutandabout

Good times. 2017 was a banner year. In fact I've been reminded that I've still got a video for that one in the works; how those years fly by. I guess I'm also reminded of my bitch duties for 2019. Bring on the rallies.
life without a bike is just life