News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Running Diagnosis

Started by Urban_Legend, September 24, 2016, 08:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban_Legend

I All.
I know there would be a solution to my running issues on the forum somewhere, but I am having trouble finding it.
So here it is -
I Changed me needle settings the last week to richen up my fuel mix and instantly the bike became really hard to start, so I returned them to previous settings, no change. Still won't start easily.  :diablo: Then yesterday on a group ride the bike gradual started to have running issues, until at the end of the day it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders at idle and was popping and farting, except under acceleration. She was sounding really sick.  :bad:

my Settings are -
Fuel mix screw 2 1/2 turns out
Needle on third groove.
Jets are as standard for an 1100
Pod Filters and
4-1 pipes.
I know with the setting I have the bike will be running lean, and I do have bigger jets on the way (whole carb bank actually from a 1200)

Any help please  :dash2:

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Pat Conlon

Plugged pilot jet(s) plugged idle and choke circuit. Emulsion tubes (aka needle jets) clean?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Urban_Legend

It is always a possibility is got some crud in them when doing the adjustments.  I don't have a closed in shed and it was a windy day.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

I found part if the issue.  The vacuum cap on number one must have blown of when the bike backfired. That will cause the rough running.  Now to fix the hard starting.
Edit. Not sure why photo is upside down. Sorry
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Cleaning out the  carbs and installing some jets that I had completely forgotten about. 42.5 and 115. We will see how that goes. The emulsion tubes look good for their age.
Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Bones

All I did to mine Mark after fitting pods was lowering the clip one notch to raise the needles. Apart from that everything is standard fare for a 93 model, it starts easy, runs good at low revs and accelerates hard. The book says 3 turns out for the mixture for my model, but at that setting it hunts at idle like a lumpy cam and it's jerky to ride at low revs so I've turned them out to around 4 turns which smooths everything out. Once everything's cleaned, sync'd and running good, I tend to leave them alone because the more you fiddle with them the more they seem to play up.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

Urban_Legend

Hi Bone

I know what you mean. Problem is that I like to tinker.
I have gotten the bike to start now, but running way too rich (blowing black fuel smoke) and not wanting to idle  :wacko3: Will drop it bake to 40 main jet tomorrow and see how we go.

Ta
Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

oldktmdude

Mark, you may have a fouled plug or two. Slip some known good plugs into her and fit clean #40 pilot jets. Mixture screws out 2 1/2 - 3 turns.
   Regards, Pete.  :good2:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Urban_Legend

I put the 40's back in. Made.sude they were clean. Bike wound over, but not start. A few really good backfires though.  The carbs are squeaky clean now too. Going by the carb sync gauges the motor seems to have good suck still, so I am thinking it is not the valves.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

MOTOMYSZOR

When You richen up mixture it could kill spark plugs. Especially if You start engine just for a while to check everything.

Just check them closely......
We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About

Urban_Legend

Arrr help. Still won't start. But getting an ALMIGHTY backfire. I have everything set to where is was running before, with the exception of some new diaphragms.
Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Would the dreaded melted red plug, make the bike hard to start,  or is it only a charging issue.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

FJmonkey

A low battery will not help with a hard starting issue. Looks like a small thermite grenade went off in your connector.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Urban_Legend

Looks like a small thermite grenade went off in your connector.

More like a bloody huge one. I fixed the offending connector and managed for get some life out of the bike. It is running , but not well. Fining it damn near impossible to balance the carbs with my cheap gauges. So I made an executive decision to take it to someone who knows what they are doing on Tuesday (public holiday here on Monday) to get it running right. No wonder a man drinks.  :flag_of_truce:
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Hi All

An up date on my running issues

After removing and cleaning the carbs (many times), changing jets and changing them back and fiddling with mixture screws and much swearing and consuming of beer, I finally gave up and took the bike to my local bike shop. They started off much the same as me, and event thought it was the CDI after diagnosing a loss of spark, which really through the mechanic as he had the bike running. Finally he traced the spark issue to a loose bolt in the crank angle ignition set up. The bolt was shorting out the pickups and causing all of the running issues.

Bike happy again.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor