News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

remove left inner fairing FJ1200 1991

Started by CharlieG, September 14, 2016, 01:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieG

I'd like to take the front fairing off a) to replace headlight bulb b) to learn maintenance. (At this stage I don't want to go the simple route of taking the horn off but might if all else fails  :dash2:  )
I've got the right black inner fairing off.
I can't figure out what's keeping the left one on, it seems to be stuck with the choke knob.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Charlie

Steve_in_Florida

Charlie,
Removing the fairing is not too difficult, once you've identified the hidden screws and bolts.

The choke knob comes off by removing the tiny screw threaded into the side. Usually have to remove the fuel tank to gain access with a tiny screwdriver.

With the knob off, remove the small plastic cover (pops off). Underneath, you'll find a larger phillips-style (JIT) screw.

More screws underneath the air scoops. Also under the windshield.

Middle inner fairing has more screws hidden down low, under the side inner panels

Mirrors off.

Two bolts on either side of the headlight, accessed from rider compartment.

Some even go so far as to remove the front fairing frame, with the fairing attached. (Search this site for write-ups/pictures)

Hope this helps.

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

Bones

On the 91 and up models there are four main bolts and a couple of small ones that hold the fairing on. With the scoops off you'll see there's one bolt each side holding the frame and a couple of smaller ones holding the fairing. With the inner panels off there are two bolts below the gauges holding the frame on there. With all the bolts removed and the wiring blocks disconnected the fairing will lift off complete with frame, just rest in on the front wheel and remove the speedo cable from the back of the speedo and lift away from the bike. No need to remove mirrors or screen and once you've done it once is about a 10 minute job tops.

93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

ribbert

Quote from: CharlieG on September 14, 2016, 01:36:21 PM
I'd like to take the front fairing off a) to replace headlight bulb b) to learn maintenance. (At this stage I don't want to go the simple route of taking the horn off but might if all else fails  :dash2:  )
I've got the right black inner fairing off.
I can't figure out what's keeping the left one on, it seems to be stuck with the choke knob.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Charlie

The LH panel comes off the same way as the RH panel after you remove the choke knob. It has a grub screw holding it on if you look closely.

Removing the fairing "to learn maintenance" really isn't going to teach you anything and if you remove it as suggested in the manual, you are needlessly risking the brittle plastics and making hard work of it.

Changing the bulb in situ is a quick and easy job but if you have already made your mind up to remove the fairing, do it as Bones suggested.
The picture below shows the bolts he referred to that hold it on.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

CharlieG

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate the replies and having now looked at the choke assembly in situ on the left inner fairing, It figures
Maintenance might have been the wrong word, I'm sorry.
I'm new to this and knowing how to take it apart to replace bits is for me 'maintenance'
... things I can do with screwdrivers, spanners and sockets.

Thanks again   Charlie

CharlieG

Thanks to all
Thanks for the photos
Got it off and sorted
Charlie

Burns

"Changing the bulb in situ is a quick and easy job"

is that true of the relay mod as well? can that be done with the fairing unmolested?
There's nothing you can do that can't be done.

ribbert

Quote from: Burns on September 28, 2016, 03:43:39 PM
"Changing the bulb in situ is a quick and easy job"

is that true of the relay mod as well? can that be done with the fairing unmolested?

Yes, probably even easier in terms of access. It just requires removal of the fuel tank.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Burns

fabulous!  I do not want to take that damn thing off. I doubt there's much flexibility left in that old plastic.
There's nothing you can do that can't be done.