News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Mike & Mark beat the rain

Started by FJmonkey, February 20, 2010, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJmonkey

Been a while but Mike and I snuck in another ride. The rain was looming and we chose to brave it anyway. The clouds were showing some specks of blue, mostly gray. First, a 10 mile run north on the 210, exit on Osborn. Pick our way through the residential parts of Little Tujunga Canyon Road past the horse ranch areas till the twisties begin. Mixing through tight turns and some nice sweepers to mix it up. This turns into sand Canyon Rd that is tame (a little stream fording) and easy riding past palatial homes. The last time I road this part with Mike I was almost a victim of a low flying California Condor or similar large carrion eating bird (wish I had pictures or video) thought I was gonna loose my head. Then a quick zig and zag on to Vasquez Cyn rd to get to Bouquet Cyn. My first time on this road. I am very happy I chose to take a bio break earlier. The next time I make a suspension upgrade I am gonna return to this road for a test ride. This is the first time I felt like I was riding moguls on an FJ, maybe I need to fix my 23 year old suspension. Kind of like riding an angry bull. Not nearly as bad as the goat trail Ed took Steve and I on a few months ago. A very quick (50 foot) ride over a one lane bridge and we turn onto Bouquet Cyn. Little traffic and good road along the stream that flows along the bottom of the canyon. Shoot past Bouquet reservoir till the road got too straight for fun. Back down to Bouquet Cyn. to grab a beer and steak sandwich (Mike, you have bought the last two meals and beers, I am buying the next two). Nice and warm in the brew and grill joint and peaceful. Till some under twenty year old (and passenger) looses control of his car. He over steered crossing the on coming lane in a Left-hand corner. He spun his car 180 and parked it in a ditch missing trees and other velocity stopping objects. Darwin was almost right. His dad is gonna be pissed when he finds his car adorned with organic accessories and altered body/frame. The two youths were barely scratched and were waiting to talk to the CHiP's soon to arrive. We headed home and parted ways on the 210 with plans to meet up again at the up coming Suzuki AMA Pro Superbike Challenge at the end of march. Here are a few pics we took over looking the reservoir. I'm the ugly mug in full leather. Mike has the much cleaner and complete stock 86' on the Right.

Mike, we forgot to trade bikes so you can see what the Corbin seat is like. Maybe next time.

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Good times. Weatherman said no rain today, at least not until tonight. Guess what it's raining pretty good in San Dimas right now. I was just about to jump on the FJ and run up to NASCAR race in Fontana, scoot though the ridicules traffic. May have to four wheel it....But I wonder if there will be race now, I should go anyway a buddy is expecting a group to eat his BBQ and drink his suds. This is why we really go anyway. Nice RV with big TV means don't need to go in anyway.

My suspension is done too. I have been reading with much interest all the suspension mods. I probably will just go with new springs and emulators for the front and pull the trigger on new rear shock.

Anyone else making it to the AMA race in Fontucky and passing by San Dimas off the 210 is welcome to meet at my place.

Thanks for the pics Mark.
Mike