News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Beating a dead horse. putting a 93 fj1200 tranny into an 84 fj1100????

Started by candieandy, January 31, 2010, 11:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

candieandy

Well the title says it all. I just picked up an low mileage 93 fj1200 trans. in great shape from a friend, with  new shift forks. i have an 84 fj 1100 that I'm going to put it in unless otherwise cautioned.  did they undercut 2ND gear from the factory on these trans? i pretty much have spent my budget for the year and i can either put this in and hope there is no 2ND gear issue or i can give it back to him and have my 84 trans sent out to get the 2ND gear fixed. does anyone have any suggestions on which route i should take.  Mike says this is a stronger trans then my 84, and would be much better to use?

Also I'm looking for a clutch conversion kit and may have questions on whether i will need to adjust my carbs to run RC-3510 K&N filters and  SSR2 V&H exhaust(these filters bolt to two carbs, instead of individuals, which i hear will let the carbs work properly.) .
HAUI

VMS

Before spending the money on the K&N, check into the R2C. Its a dry filter (no oiling) and performs great on our Legends cars (FJ1200).
Jim Bucher
VMS Motorsports
1986 FJ1200
2 FJ powered Legends cars

candieandy

i get the K&Ns at my work for 10% over cost. have them sitting under my counter already, but the r2c look real nice
HAUI

racerman_27410

most times your stock gearset (the 2/5 gear pair) can be undercut, add in the updated shift fork for that pair and the problem will be fixed.    any gearset can have the problem it really depends on how the bike was treated.

Kookaloo!

Frank

candieandy

i purchased all new drum and forks last year from yamaha. so hopefully i will be ok.
HAUI

racerman_27410

Quote from: candieandy on January 31, 2010, 12:18:45 PM
i purchased all new drum and forks last year from yamaha. so hopefully i will be ok.

then i would just get my stock gearset undercut and run with it.... you dont really need them all like i said only the 2/5 gear pair.  IIRC the windows are on the 2 gear and the dogs are on the 5 gear.

mine was popping out pretty bad but they were still salvageable according to my machinist.... unfortunately for me i had already bought new gears.....and they dont come undercut from the factory so i had them done.

Frank

Marsh White

Quote from: VMS on January 31, 2010, 11:52:02 AM
Before spending the money on the K&N, check into the R2C. Its a dry filter (no oiling) and performs great on our Legends cars (FJ1200).

Okay, I checked into them.  Here is the link: http://www.r2cperformance.com/legends.html

They look like dual filters - meaning I would need two of them.  Is this correct?  Do they fit in the FJ motorcycle?  Has anyone ever used them on the actual bike?

VMS

Its the same size and dimensions of the K&N 3510, I've personally only sold them to Legends racers though, but they are a direct replacement for the K&N, so if you've got the box off and running the K&N, you're good to go. Yes, they are a dual filter, so you would need 2, same as the K&N.
$90/pair (($45 each) with no "recharge" kits necessary) with free shipping anywhere in the world through my website if anyone is interested.
I've used the same pair for 2 years on my Legend car in the dirt, never had dirt in the carb
Jim Bucher
VMS Motorsports
1986 FJ1200

Harvy

Jim/Marsh..........I have my doubts they will fit between the sub-frame rails.......just going by the picture and how the UNI dual pods touch those rails and the UNIs do not have the "solid" top cover, as these appear to.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

Harvy

Jim,   :hi:  you have a heap of nice bits there on the website......I can see myself lowering my FJ account and adding to your VMS account at some point in the future!   :good2: :good2:

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

VMS

Quote from: Harvy on January 31, 2010, 08:04:48 PM
Jim/Marsh..........I have my doubts they will fit between the sub-frame rails.......just going by the picture and how the UNI dual pods touch those rails and the UNIs do not have the "solid" top cover, as these appear to.

Harvy

Can't say on my end, I honestly don't know, but when he mentioned the 3510, it clicked that that is the same double filter configuration. Most likely you will have to re-jet the carbs.
I'll do some checking on my end, I bet somebody here knows though...Randy, you out there?
Jim Bucher
VMS Motorsports
1986 FJ1200

VMS

Quote from: Harvy on January 31, 2010, 08:11:17 PM
Jim,   :hi:  you have a heap of nice bits there on the website......I can see myself lowering my FJ account and adding to your VMS account at some point in the future!   :good2: :good2:

Harvy

I'm available anytime for your account lowering needs 
:good2:

Jim
Jim Bucher
VMS Motorsports
1986 FJ1200

fj1289

candieandy -

you should be able to take a good look at the "new" gearset and see if there has been any rounding off of the dogs.  If not, then you should be able to use the transmission wiht the new shift forks and be good to go for "normal" riding.  If you plan to hit the 1-2 shift hard fairly often, then I'd get the existing one undercut.  Which is the best way to go depends on how you plan to use it. 

Chris

racerrad8

Quote from: VMS on January 31, 2010, 10:24:58 PM
I'll do some checking on my end, I bet somebody here knows though...Randy, you out there?

I don't think they will fit. Most people end up having to use the individual/taper K&N or similar filters. The UNI's do make slight contact with the factory airbox mounting tab(s) and they are rounded at the point of contact.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

andyb