News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Foot Pegs

Started by Todd85fj, June 13, 2015, 12:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd85fj

Hello all.  It's been a while - hope everyone is well.  

I know these are not "cruiser" bikes but I was wondering if anyone has installed foot pegs on the front of the frame?  On the long rides on the straights it would be nice to stretch out the legs.  There are mounting holes that I think would work good for the pegs to be attached to.  See the pic.

Steve_in_Florida

Todd,
A previous owner of one of my `90's installed a set of Harley foot pegs in that spot.

I use them only occasionally, but it's nice that they're there.

Their presence prevents the mounting of an un-modified 1990 chin fairing. It looks like yours would not be an issue.

Naturally, the threads on the FJ are metric, and the threads on the Harley foot pegs are SAE, so I imagine some brute force was necessary. Maybe one of the Japanese cruiser-style bikes has foot pegs that would work?

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

aviationfred

There are a few members that have mounted highway pegs. Most have the Rentec crash bars installed and mount the pegs to the crash bars.

Taxasdaves bike here is an example.

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Todd85fj

Thanks for the ideas. I will find a metric somewhere I don't want to mess the threads up.  Anyone know the metric size? 

giantkiller

It's almost like Yamaha put that there for foot pegs. I'm wondering if you will drag your foot/peg in corners. Steve if you forgot to fold them would they drag in a corner?
I made some out of a spare set of engine mount plates. And also welded a plate in the triangle on the crash bars from Randy.

86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

TexasDave

Quote from: giantkiller on June 14, 2015, 10:11:08 PM
It's almost like Yamaha put that there for foot pegs. I'm wondering if you will drag your foot/peg in corners. Steve if you forgot to fold them would they drag in a corner?
I made some out of a spare set of engine mount plates. And also welded a plate in the triangle on the crash bars from Randy.

I am glad Dan posted his footpeg installation pics. Cleanest install I have seen. I plan to do the same thing but extend the plate lower to install my Cree lights right below them.  Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Todd85fj

That last pic is exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to match the stock foot pegs.

Maybe I missed it but where did you get those?

giantkiller

Those are stock Yamaha passenger pegs. Bought off flea bay. I took the rubber pad off and painted them black. And baked it on in the oven. Seems to make it more durable.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Charlie-brm

On the subject of foot pegs, my passenger foot pegs have lost their spring tension and tend to droop to the extended position. I might just take them off because 99% of the time I don't have a passenger. But any ideas on how to rejuvenate them?
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

Flynt

Quote from: Charlie-brm on June 15, 2015, 09:26:45 AM
But any ideas on how to rejuvenate them?

Mine on the '84 were doing the same.  I took them off, cleaned the pivot area thoroughly with a wire brush and solvent, stretched the spring out a little bit, greased the whole thing up and put back together...  no more self deploying foot pegs.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Firehawk068

I need to do this to mine. They are getting loose and squeaky.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Todd85fj

In my quest for these foot pegs I took off my rear pegs (never have any passengers).  They screw in perfectly on the front - however a bit to far for me to rest my feet comfortably. 

I figured easy enough...  Go to ACE and get a stud and a coupler.  Well 3 ACE's later and even going to downtown Denver to AAA METRIC I cannot find the coupler.  I've searched the web and as of yet I have not found what I need.  The mounting is a M10x1.25.  I can find M10x1.5 all day but the 1.25 is illusive.   

So I was standing in the garage and it dawned on me to reverse the nut on the foot peg then screw the peg in just enough then tighten the nut to the frame.  Worked perfect!  They are helpful in riding but just not out far enough.  They will work until I find the coupler.

ribbert

There is a small ball bearing at the end of the spring that drops into an indent when the peg is raised that holds it in the upright position.
If you are not expecting it, it is easy to lose and reassemble without it, then your peg won't stay up. Other than that, as Frank said, clean and grease. They do get rusty and full of crud over time.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

giantkiller

Go to fleabay and look for atv wheel spacers. They are lug extensions for ATVs. The Yamaha ones are correct thread. And they come in different lengths.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

FJmonkey

Quote from: Todd85fj on June 15, 2015, 08:29:22 PM
In my quest for these foot pegs I took off my rear pegs (never have any passengers).  They screw in perfectly on the front - however a bit to far for me to rest my feet comfortably. 

I figured easy enough...  Go to ACE and get a stud and a coupler.  Well 3 ACE's later and even going to downtown Denver to AAA METRIC I cannot find the coupler.  I've searched the web and as of yet I have not found what I need.  The mounting is a M10x1.25.  I can find M10x1.5 all day but the 1.25 is illusive.   

So I was standing in the garage and it dawned on me to reverse the nut on the foot peg then screw the peg in just enough then tighten the nut to the frame.  Worked perfect!  They are helpful in riding but just not out far enough.  They will work until I find the coupler.

Todd, be very careful about lean angle/cornering clearance. Too low and out too far makes for hard parts that touch down too early. I know of an FJ owner that believes that his freeway pegs were the cause of one of his unscheduled dismounts.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side