News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

What's Your FJ Worth

Started by ren-dog, January 18, 2010, 03:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ren-dog

According to RedBook my 1984 FJ1100 is worth around AUD$650.
I've spent more than that on tools/parts/mods.
With dealers asking AUD$2500 and up for roadworthy examples, it got me thinking ....
What's your FJ worth ???
I remember the world before Workplace Health & Safety.
ren-dog

Arnie

Ren-dog,

Kinda like those MasterCard ads, its priceless.

I've got something like 125,000 kms on it, so it would probably be difficult to sell.
I've modded it to the point that I'm happy with it for almost all uses I have for a motorcycle.
There are very few bikes of any age or cost that I think would do all that my FJ does as well.

I know I'd have to spend over A$10-12,000 for anything I'd consider likely to be able to replace it, but a dealer would be very unlikely to give me more than A$4,000 for it, and probably less.

I know the bike, it is easy to service.  I have all the special tools and knowledge needed, and I have a decent pile of spare parts including a whole engine/tranny.

My FJ is a '91 with 17" rear, updated shock, braided lines, cast disks, blue spot brakes, semi-auto oiler, custom windscreen, custom seat, top box, etc, etc, etc.

I guess the only way to know what its worth is to try and sell it, but that's not likely to happen while I'm still able to push it around my shed.

I also have a much newer bike and if I needed to sell one of them, it wouldn't be the FJ.

Arnie

Bob

I figure with all the mods I've done, I've decreased the resale value... it would be too much hassle for someone to maintain (so, is that an FJ part or a GSXR part?).

I could probably get 2k to 3k (CDN), but I'll never know.  Can't see it ever being for sale. 
Bob N.
'93 FJ
'17 V-Strom DL650
Whitby, ON

Mark Olson

I gotta agree with Arnie, priceless.

too much time and money invested in mods.

too much fun to ride.

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

andyb

Paid 1900$ for mine, I figure I've put... erm... a ton into it.  It'll probably be worth about the same when I get rid of it.  May have to part it to recoup the losses a bit better, dunno.

ccsct203

What's it worth???
I have soooo much into it with all the mods I figured no one will ever pay what it's worth.
At this point it's more a labor of love then practicality.
Good thing I sold the turbo system to pay for other items.
It is funny how I need just one-more-thing to make it complete.
If people would stop posting ideas on how to improve the bike maybe I could buy that new gun.

If it's not broken, fix it anyways

Yamifj1200

Well according to Dairyland insurance my 91 is worth 4,200 with the changes I have made to it. That's only 500 dollars less than I paid for the stock bike 15 years ago. Do I think I could sell it for that? No I seriously doubt I could.... Do I think its worth that, sure I do that's why I still own it and continue to ride it.

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

andyoutandabout

You can't put something as unclean as price on an FJ.
It's the same type of thing as referring to students as clients
or McDonalds as restaurants
or Walmart shoppers as guests
(I shop at Walmart, so don't take this one the wrong way).
The way the Fj is cherished truly does make it
PRICELESS to those that know.

life without a bike is just life

pattaya andy

Paid 100,000 Baht around 3000 US for the 1TX as bikes are expensive here. Saying that I was offered 12000 last week but I'm not selling....Ever.
It's not a bad old life.

Kopfjaeger

i paid 3500 aud for mine thought i got ripped but in this months just bikes theres an original white fj think its an 88? dunno but its an oldy, they want 4700 aud. doesnt come with panniers .... mine did  :good2:

ren-dog

Yeh that master card add has infiltrated comsumerist based cultures all round the world,

Funding output sprocket lock washer on eBay $2.50
Transporting upper fairing half way around the world $99
Changing front and rear truck wheels to 17" rims $530
Hours and hours of blood, sweat and tears (at $80/hr) $12900

The FJ experience ...

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: PRICELESS  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
I remember the world before Workplace Health & Safety.
ren-dog

Kopfjaeger

i have yet to expernce the joy of entwining myself in the inner working s of the mighty fj. just to remove the airbox seems a monumental effort, besides its running at the moment so .... and the GPz is still waiting , and i know that inside and out down to almost splitting the cases, has been sitting for a while and front forks seals have shot themselves and i might as well do a full rebuild all seals and bearings  and give it the full love. :dash2:  dont want to really have two busted bikes :dash2:

FeralJuggernaut

I figure mine is worth about 5 figures in US dollars.   I just haven't narrowed down which 5 digits yet.    I have a price, but it is somewhere north of $15,000.   If someone were to offer that kind of foolishness, I'd have to oblige and go buy 3 more and start over!     :drinks:   
-----------
Safety Fast

craigo

I have owned a Kawasaki ZZR1200 that I paid over $5 kUS for.  A Suzuki Bandit 1200S that I paid over $4k for.  I am now on my 3rd FJ1200 that I paid $2200 for.  I bought this FJ after the last one I owned burned my house down under mysterious (arson) circumstances that I paid $2500 for.

I have to agree with everyone else here.  There is nothing like a FJ1200.  It took me over a year to find the one I have now.  I would have to spend over $10,000 to buy a bike that could even come close to replacing the FJ and even then, might still miss the mark.  These would be either a ST1300 or a FJR1300. Neither can keep up w/ the FJ on the twisties, but the FJ1200 can tour with either of those in a wink.  I wish I could find and garage 2 more like her, but the wife wouldn't understand.

I love this breed and will always have one.  Long live the FJ1200

Craig O
90FJ1200
CraigO
90FJ1200

Kopfjaeger

you know, most bikes rattle and bang and stop...... this old girl well, shes rattly...... takes time to warm up..... doesnt handle.... bit buzzy.... but  EVERY DAY i get on it and fire it up and she goes, different things different days to be aware of, ( like a women) but still will do what i ask and be predictable when its necessary... have a GPz1000rx in the garage, it rattled squealed and then stopped.... think i will buy another fj before anything else...... greta bike cant praise it enough... 150 k's every day up to speeds of 220. and the looks you get... double takes... like what the f***? is that?   love it... never part... be buried with my effy :wacko1: :shout: :good2: