News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

95 grams to balance a M/C tire?

Started by junkyardroad, January 06, 2010, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardroad

I got my AM26 Avons in stock sizes balanced today. The rear took a whopping 95 grams. Check it out, I couldn't even get it all in the pic..

The tire was also slightly out of round.  I have never seen a motorcycle tire with that much wieght. In fact, I have had several that didn't take any at all.  We clocked it in several rotations and could only make it worse.  

They've been mounted since October or I'd ask for a refund.

rktmanfj

I think I'd be asking anyway.     :unknown:

Randy T
Indy

Yamifj1200

I dont think I have ever seen that much weight to balance a bike tire, Damn right I'd say something. If you say the tire is slightly out of round there a reason for it... If it was me I'd have it replaced...JMO

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

racerman_27410

i just installed a beadlock on the DRZ dirt rim and it took 126 grams to balance that huge chunk of aluminum and rubber.

IMO there is something seriously wrong with that tire.

KOokaloo!

Frank

andyoutandabout

What you have there my man is a record breaker. Contact the appropriate persons, frame wheel and mount in a prominent place in living room to spark conversations about bikes. Perfect.
life without a bike is just life

FJ Flyer

did you try balancing the wheel first without the tire?  see how out of balance the wheel might be.
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

MyFirstNameIsPaul

I had a set of Avons once and they caused my whole bike to weave and bob at freeway speeds.  I balanced them, rebalanced them, moved the tire in the rim, and nothing worked.  I just had to live with the problem until the tires wore down and I put Michelins on and the problem went away.  I'm really dreading the increasingly slim options for rear tires on the FJ.  I've had a stash of Michelins I've been burning through, but I'm on my last set now.

junkyardroad

Quotedid you try balancing the wheel first without the tire?  see how out of balance the wheel might be.

No but we did rotate it around several times and made it worse, so the rim may be somewhat out of balance.  I called today and used my Very Reasonable Tone to explain the problem and they will exchange it.

If this kind of thing becomes an ongoing problem, a new 17" wheel is in my future. Want to see how it rides first on the stockers.

RichBaker

Quote from: racerman_27410 on January 06, 2010, 10:54:45 PM
i just installed a beadlock on the DRZ dirt rim and it took 126 grams to balance that huge chunk of aluminum and rubber.

IMO there is something seriously wrong with that tire.

KOokaloo!

Frank

Yep... I've got 3oz on the front wheel of my WR450F...

When I mounted the Pilot on my FJ front, it took way too much weight, we repositioned it a couple times, then took the tire back off and checked the wheel alone.... it wanted several oz itself, that was the problem.
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

stevodude

I'd be checking the rim for issues...

I just got a new front tyre ( from bridgstone to an avon storm), and they took 2 weights off!...

andyb

Bah, anytime I try to balance them it just makes me worry that something's bent, broken, or whatever.  Much easier to just leave it and ride it!

Though with that much weight on it, I'd be half tempted to pull the tire off and rotate it 180 on the wheel and try again  :bad: