News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

For what it's worth.

Started by ribbert, March 19, 2015, 10:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

I just rang UNI Filter to see who their local agents were, wanting some filter oil this afternoon.

When asked what product I wanted they said they no longer sell it in spray cans, it eats the filter material.

He said if I had no luck finding UNI oil at any of the nearby bike shops, to get one of two other brands he mentioned, also being very good oil, but NOT in a spray can.

Wow! Honesty and service.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Bones

When I ordered my Uni filters from Randy, I was thinking of ordering a can of Uni spray oil at the same time but decided against it because  a:  they probably wouldn't ship aerosol cans overseas anyway, and b: should be able to source it here easily.

Yeah well.... I went to all the major part suppliers in my area plus a couple of speed shops looking for some, and while some had K&N oil none had any Uni Filter oil. Went to a bike shop in the end and asked them and was told all foam air filter oil is the same, so being fed up with driving around looking, bought a can of Motorex oil filter oil in a spray can.

Gave them a good dose of spray, squeezed the excess out and installed. Seemed to be a pretty sticky oil so will have to wait and see how much dirt they caught when it comes time to clean and re oil them. Pulled the filters off a while ago to check inside the carbs and everything is still nice and clean.

Tony.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

yamaha fj rider

I have been using PJ1 spray foam filter oil for about twenty years with no problems. Good to read Noel's post. When somebody tells me something contrary to the norm or standard I always get a second or third opinion. I would like to hear what Uni USA says.  (popcorn)

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

stua1959

I tried to find out how to clean and oil Uni filters and every forum has different ideas. Clean with soapy water, petrol, turps, metho. Oil with Uni spray, oil with any spray, oil with motor oil etc etc

Found this in PDF form from Uni Filter Australia

BLACK FOAM ROAD BIKE PODS
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING

Unifilter road bike pods must be oiled prior to use. However, do not use conventional "foam filter oils" or treatments.

Use only 50:50 engine oil and petrol mix as the filter oiling fluid.

Unifilter road bike pods employ a small porosity foam and, combined with this 50:50 oil/petrol mix, will achieve very high air
flow and dust retention qualities. Use of conventional filter oils will restrict the air flow of these pods.

Oiling

Mix 50:50 engine oil and petrol. Saturate the pod filter foam with the mix and allow to stand
until the petrol evaporates. Wipe off any excess mix from the pod foam, thoroughly clean pod snout and then fit.

Cleaning
Wash out pod filter with petrol or mineral turps then re-oil as above

ribbert

Quote from: yamaha fj rider on March 20, 2015, 05:52:28 AM
I have been using PJ1 spray foam filter oil for about twenty years with no problems. Good to read Noel's post. When somebody tells me something contrary to the norm or standard I always get a second or third opinion. I would like to hear what Uni USA says.  (popcorn)

Kurt

I have no personal opinion on this, just passing on what I was told, straight from the horses mouth.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: Bones on March 20, 2015, 05:27:46 AM
When I ordered my Uni filters from Randy, I was thinking of ordering a can of Uni spray oil at the same time but decided against it because  a:  they probably wouldn't ship aerosol cans overseas anyway, and b: should be able to source it here easily.

Yeah well.... I went to all the major part suppliers in my area plus a couple of speed shops looking for some, and while some had K&N oil none had any Uni Filter oil. Went to a bike shop in the end and asked them and was told all foam air filter oil is the same, so being fed up with driving around looking, bought a can of Motorex oil filter oil in a spray can.

Gave them a good dose of spray, squeezed the excess out and installed. Seemed to be a pretty sticky oil so will have to wait and see how much dirt they caught when it comes time to clean and re oil them. Pulled the filters off a while ago to check inside the carbs and everything is still nice and clean.

Tony.

That's not quite the case Tony. There is "thick" and "thin" oil. The thin is a commercial version of the petrol and oil mix where the carrier penetrates quickly then evaporates leaving the oil clinging to the surface and then there is the straight oil.
The advice I have been given from some one who does know, and he has 9 different types sitting on his shelves and only recommended 2, is to stick with the thick mineral based oils. After washing, and yes it does need to be petrol or kero (petrol is cheaper) to dissolve the old oil, bath the filter in oil then squeeze out all you can and return it to the bottle for next time. I got the exact same advice from UNI.

The most disturbing thing I find about foam filters is how little dirt comes out of them when I wash them, but then I didn't fit them for better filtration.

Noel

ribbert

Quote from: stua1959 on March 20, 2015, 06:10:55 AM

Use only 50:50 engine oil and petrol mix as the filter oiling fluid.

Unifilter road bike pods employ a small porosity foam and, combined with this 50:50 oil/petrol mix, will achieve very high air
flow and dust retention qualities. Use of conventional filter oils will restrict the air flow of these pods.

Oiling

Mix 50:50 engine oil and petrol. Saturate the pod filter foam with the mix and allow to stand
until the petrol evaporates. Wipe off any excess mix from the pod foam, thoroughly clean pod snout and then fit.

Stu, this is indeed an interesting development, can you post the link. I would have thought engine oil would pool over time at the bottom of the filter. Foam filter oil is unbelievably sticky, engine oil isn't.

Noel

Firehawk068

I recently got the filter pods from Randy. I figured it wouldn't be a problem finding the oil locally.
I tried to find the "UNI" foam filter oil here in Denver area, with no luck. Nobody here sells it. They all recemmended a couple other brands (PJ1, and Silkolene)
I ended up ordering a UNI filter cleaning/re-oiling kit from Amazon for $19.99. It has the aerosol cans.

The UNI-USA website has some instructional videos on how to clean, and re-oil your foam filters. They only recommend foam-filter oil for use on their filters.
http://www.unifilter.com/cleaning-oiling/
Engine oil is not "Sticky" enough to stay in the filter foam, or collect the dust and dirt properly. Especially since, as Randy has noted, on our FJs the engine reversion pulses spray a fine mist of fuel back out, and onto the filter pods under certain engine operating conditions.
On their website, in the FAQ page it specifically says "DO NOT" use engine oil.
http://www.unifilter.com/faq/
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Bminder

Quote from: stua1959 on March 20, 2015, 06:10:55 AM

"petrol," "turps," "metho"
"petrol mix"
"mineral turps"

:scratch_one-s_head:
You guys have funny words Down Under.
Are we still talking about bikes? Or illegal drugs and gardening?

:biggrin:
Billy Minder
92 FJ1200 ABS

gumby302ho

Well I ordered the UNI PODS as well from RPM and I did order the uni oil in the spray can too, are you telling me that I should not use the uni oil spray that was designed for these bloody filters, here we go. Everyone spoke of these filters as the next coming and K&N were crap and now there own spray oil eats there foam on there perfect filters. Unbelievable  :dash2:     I really cant stand modern engineers.

copper

Quote from: ribbert on March 19, 2015, 10:12:42 PM

When asked what product I wanted they said they no longer sell it in spray cans, it eats the filter material.

UNI U.S. and UNI AU may use different chemicals or a different process when making or charging the aerosol cans. The branding of the oils they use is completely different on their own websites.
http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d27.html it seems AU uses "Filter Trix" filter oil where as
http://www.unifilter.com/accessories/ is branded as "UNI" filter oil

The spray is obviously still sold on UNI U.S. website so there is obviously some sort of difference. As it is not available on the UNI AU site. As shown by the links above.

Mike Ramos

Mr. Gumby,

Rest assured and use the Uni Oil with their filters and as FireHawk mentions, it works well. 

Do not use engine oil, diluted or not. 

Also, if when cleaning the filters if only a small amount of dirt comes out, then it should be self explanatory.

From personal experience with two engines and over 200,000 miles between them, there is nothing better; better air filtration and a better breathing engine.

Ride safe.

yamaha fj rider

Quote from: ribbert on March 20, 2015, 06:14:31 AM
Quote from: yamaha fj rider on March 20, 2015, 05:52:28 AM

Kurt

I have no personal opinion on this, just passing on what I was told, straight from the horses mouth.

Noel
No problem. I believe you. I question what you were told, not you.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

ZOA NOM

Quote from: ribbert on March 20, 2015, 06:55:53 AM

The most disturbing thing I find about foam filters is how little dirt comes out of them when I wash them, but then I didn't fit them for better filtration.

Noel

Very timely visit to RPM today for an oil change, filter cleanup and various odds and ends, and of course BS time with Randy and Robert. I remembered this thread when I took the Uni Pod filters off and cleaned them in Randy's sink. It really made me wonder where Noel rides if he doesn't get anything out of his...

This is what was left in Randy's sink from filters that were about 3 or 4 months old, and had no oil on them.

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca