News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

FJ1100 RUNNING GREAT UNTILL IT RAINS

Started by Brian, November 02, 2014, 08:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

HI ALL, got caught in rain on weekend & bike started to blow heaps of smoke & sucked oil & smelted fumey  and run poorly untill the rain stopped ,then smoke stopped & bike cleared up & ran great again but had to top up oil  ????? any ideas

regards Brian
Dont you just love that special place of Beer,Bikes 'N' Bullshit !

movenon

Are you running a stock air box ? If you have an aftermarket filter for your crankcase vent perhaps it got wet ? Just a WAG.  :good2:
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Brian

STOCK AIR BO ,CRANKCASE LINE ALL HOOKED UP ,AIR FILTER NOT OILY
IM THINKING COMPRESSION BUILD UP IN CRANK FROM WORN RINGS OR SOMETHING ?????

Arnie

Check all your wiring very carefully, looking for spots where the insulation has worn away.
I'm guessing that at some worn spot the addition of rain (or even very high humidity) might cause you to have a partial short.
Look especially at the spark plug leads from the coils, and the plug caps themselves may be cracked or you could have the plug recesses filled with dust and crap that conducts electricity when it gets wet.

Arnie

FJscott

I think Arnie has you pointed in the right direction chasing an electrical/ignition fault when wet. Another potential lead would be a vacuum leak at the intake boot sucking water at the head. This can be ruled out using an UNLIGHTED propane torch directed around the intakes on an idling engine, if the RPMS rise slightly you have found your leak.

Good Luck and keep us posted as to what you find.

Scott

yosemite

check the ht side of the ignition system, the ht leads,coil bodies, and plug caps for tracking, when damp. if one ht lead/plug cap is faulty this can cause you're bike to  drop onto two cylinders,if the bike is running on less than four cylinders then the fuel from the misfiring cylinders  could pull oil from the bore into the exhaust
easiest way to check is in the dark with the tank off spray the coils with water and then run it. any sign of a blue spark on the ht system should point to the problem, also check the inside of the plug caps for track marks, which look like fine pencil lines, if there are any change the cap
ps don't spray the ht lead with water with the engine running if there is any leakage then it can track back along the spray mist to your right arm don't ask how I know but let me tell you it hurts

The General

`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

Brian

found the problem was water leaking into the oil cooler ' luckily had a spare on the 1200 rolling frame I bought earlier hosed it down again while running and problem gone ' thanks to everyone with their tips 'cheers

Earl Svorks

Hey Brian,
I'm happy to hear that your bike is working better now,,, however,, there is far more pressure inside the oil cooler than outside. Any leakage will be oil coming out, as opposed to water going in.
  Just wondering what might be happening there. Do you care to elaborate ?
  Cheers
Simon