News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

84 FJ1100 No Start

Started by Etown Rider, October 15, 2014, 03:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Etown Rider

Hello All,

Just picked up a 84 FJ1100 project bike and it wont turn over.

New battery with full charge installed last night.

Here is what happens...

Turn the key on, I hear a click (main fuse/solenoid kicking in?), tail light turns on but no head light. if I tap the starter button, the head light turns on but if I press the starter button all the way in the headlight cuts out, signal lights do not work and nothing cranks. I have made sure its in neutral and tried with and without holding the clutch in.

I have pulled all the plastics and looked at the majority of the wiring and everything seems to be intact with all original harnesses, nothing cut, broken or re-wired and I replaced all 3 main fuses inside the fairing.

So, could this be a neutral safety switch, starter, clutch, another fuse Ive missed or am I not even in the right ball park to get this bike running?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

What you ride makes no difference, how you ride says it all.

FJmonkey

Welcome Etown Rider, I will just call you ER till know what else to call you.

Some of the easy things to check are the side stand safety switch. It has a connector down by the clutch slave. You can jump this for trouble shooting but make sure you reconnect it once you know it is not the problem. Otherwise you could be dropping your bike when you start off with the stand is down.

The Run switch could be sticking and not fully returning to the run position internally.

If you tried it in neutral then the clutch lever switch is bypassed so that is not it. And the side stand switch is out of the loop as well.

Head lamp turns on with the ignition switch (after jiggling it) and goes out with the starter button depressed. Seems normal.

Maybe the previous owner installed a hidden kill switch.

With the bike in neutral and on the center stand you could jump the starter to the battery and make sure it spins.

Might need to open up and clean the switches, make sure none of the wires are broken or burned.

Keep up posted, we will help you get it sorted with the wealth of knowledge on this site.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Etown Rider

Thanks FJMonkey!

After pulling all the harnesses and connectors apart, cleaning them with contact cleaner and reconnecting them, she fired up. Runs like crap as it hasn't ran in 3 years. So Im stepping in the right direction.

Now it seems to be needing some love on the clutch. It wont start while in gear pulling in on the clutch and when I start it in neutral, it bucks and dies when I pull the clutch in and place it in gear... That is my next venture. 

I vision this will be a full winter project to get her back in good riding form.

Can you suggest any add-on's or changes to make to improve on the factory setup while I have it torn down this winter?

Thanks again for your input!

Jay

movenon

Quote from: Etown Rider on October 16, 2014, 01:20:31 PM
Thanks FJMonkey!

After pulling all the harnesses and connectors apart, cleaning them with contact cleaner and reconnecting them, she fired up. Runs like crap as it hasn't ran in 3 years. So Im stepping in the right direction.

Now it seems to be needing some love on the clutch. It wont start while in gear pulling in on the clutch and when I start it in neutral, it bucks and dies when I pull the clutch in and place it in gear... That is my next venture.  

I vision this will be a full winter project to get her back in good riding form.

Can you suggest any add-on's or changes to make to improve on the factory setup while I have it torn down this winter?

Thanks again for your input!

Jay

Your clutch disks might be a bit dry or sticking from 3 years of storage.  You might give this a try. With the engine off, put it in gear, pull in the clutch and manually push the bike forward and rearward and see if you can break the clutches loose. You might have to do this a couple of times.

If no luck then check the clutch fluid, bleed the slave cylinder and recheck.  If no good then look at the slave or master cylinder.  The slaves are a noted problem. They can be rebuilt or replaced.  RPM has them.  Usually an easy fix. http://www.rpmracingca.com/products.asp?cat=26&pg=2

As far as suggestions for the winter tear down. It is an 84 bike and new to you so go through all the bearings and lube points, inspect everything.  Flush and adjust every system.  Replace all the rubber items (brake lines and such).  Check and clean every electrical connection.  Get a good manual.  I like the Yamaha factory service manuals.  Shop on flea bay you can find used ones pretty reasonably.  In the 15-20 dollar range for a used one.  A little coffee stain on the cover or finger prints will not hurt anything :). Ask questions as you go. It is a lot cheaper and easier that way.

I guess what I am trying to say is get it back into factory spec's then you have a base line.

Hope it helps.
George

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

That is great news Jay, glad you got it firing. The carbs will need a very good cleaning. If you do them your self then get the fastener kit from Randy at RPM and swap out all the JIS bits for hex socket SST bits. Or invest in some JIS standard tools. Randy also services carbs, mail them in and they come back clean and looking nearly new. Depending on where in the world you live, might have some luck meeting up with fellow members and get some man shed time to inspect and fix up all your FJ issues. Do as George suggests regarding your clutch, most likely the salve is toast after all that time. But it can be rebuilt and or replaced with a kit or new slave. Again, Randy at RPM has the best prices and quick shipping. Catch up on old posts by searching key words based on what you think the old girl needs. And beware of Moditus, I have it bad and never felt so good. Kookaloo my friend... So many upgrades..... So little time.....  :good:

Etown Rider

Thanks George and Monkey.

I tried the rocking back and forth trick to release the clutch plates and nothing happened. I checked my fluid levels and tried to bleed the clutch and that didnt help. The clutch lever feels better (firm and springs back) but still wont engage. The slave shows no signs of leakage. Does this mean I need to break into the clutch itself and rebuild/replace?

Jay

FJmonkey

Try rocking back and forth harder, harder that you think it takes, you won't hurt it. Make sure the clutch lever is pulled in fully when rocking it.

Earl Svorks

Hey Jay, If the rocking thing doesn't work you can also try this. If your FJ still has it's centerstand. While on the stand, rear wheel clear of the deck, motor running, trans in first gear, rear wheel spinning,hold the clutch lever in, give it some throttle and hit the rear brake. Be careful, this can be hair raising.
  Simon