News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Silly fuel gauge.

Started by Tripper, August 10, 2014, 08:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripper

Tore down the fairing to get access to the fuel meter, whose pointer was right of the stop.   Spun the pointer CCW and it assumed the proper position. Changed some spark plugs while I was in there.  Upon power up the fuel gauge went promptly to near full, the correct reading.  (Anybody know where this is going?) Took a ride and figured out how that pointer ever ended up on the wrong side of the stop.  At various engine speeds the fuel pointer turns into a high speed window wiper.  So is this a well known quirk of the FJ, and where is the thread on how to fix?  Thanx folks.
86 FJ1200
81 750 Seca
95 Buell S2

mr blackstock

G'day,

I do not know where the thread is to deal with the bouncing guage, I think there are dozens.  From what I can tell there are numerous solutions:
1. re-injet oil of particular viscocity into the needle damper
2. re-check all the wiring up to guage cluster.(a break will open under heavy engine vibration, perhaps showing could continuity when not running)
3. Earth the petrol tank independently of loom.
4. Replace the plastic block connectors
5. Ignore it
6. Take bets on when the needle will go "round the world"

Good luck.
Gareth
(popcorn)
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

red

Quote from: mr blackstock on August 12, 2014, 06:33:02 AMG'day,
I do not know where the thread is to deal with the bouncing guage, I think there are dozens.  From what I can tell there are numerous solutions:
2. re-check all the wiring up to guage cluster.(a break will open under heavy engine vibration, perhaps showing could continuity when not running)
3. Earth the petrol tank independently of loom.
Good luck.
Gareth
Tripper,

Add a new ground wire from the tank, and a new ground wire to the gauge.  You can leave the old ground wires in place.  Ground both to the same clean point.  If the problem persists then, either the tank sender needs a tweak at the wiper arm (rare), or the power line to the gauge is intermittent.  Wiring is usually the problem.

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.