News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Using fuel injector cleaner?

Started by mr blackstock, June 18, 2014, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr blackstock

The other day I bought some fuel injector cleaner, put it in the car and appreciated the better idle within half a tank of fuel.  Then it occured to me, since my precious Fj is so pedantic about carb cleanliness, would it not be a great idea to run some fuel injector cleaner through her tank?

Have other forum members tried this?  I will pick some up in the morning, measure out the correct dose and see what happens....

Have I been missing out on this?

Cheers, Gareth
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

FJmonkey

I put in the occasional in fuel carb cleaner if my FJ has sat for more than a few weeks without starting. I also run Seafoam and that seems to keep the carbs clean.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Arnie

Hi Gareth,

I've used fuel injector cleaner in my bikes for a long time.
I put in 1/3 the car dose into the last tank of fuel before an oil & filter change.
I haven't had any dirty or deposit related carb problems in a long, long time.

Remember we don't have that crap oxygenated and alcohol-laced "fuel" that seems to be universal in the US.
(or, they aren't telling us)

Arnie

Burns

I'd like Randy's opinion on this one.  Does the injector cleaner eat o-rings?
There's nothing you can do that can't be done.

yamaha fj rider

I use the Lucas ethanol treatment in most tanks of fuel this also has a cleaning effect. Seams to be working well, no problems since I started using it, 1 oz for every five gallons. Cost is about $9.00 at Walmart and treats 80 gallons. (popcorn)

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

mr blackstock

G'day,

I did a quick search of the net after I posted and discovered what "Seafoam" was!  Apparently American's love the stuff.  I found a website where the ingredients were listed, 50% 2 stroke oil or equiv, 20% isopropyl alchohol or equiv, 30% lighter fluid or equiv.  Think I will try plain old injector cleaner.

Thanks for the feedback,

Gareth

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

Firehawk068

Quote from: FJmonkey on June 18, 2014, 07:37:18 PM
I put in the occasional in fuel carb cleaner if my FJ has sat for more than a few weeks without starting. I also run Seafoam and that seems to keep the carbs clean.

+1

I have occasionally run seafoam if it sits for long period without fresh gas being run through it..................I have also used the Star-Tron additive as well.......
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

mr blackstock

Well I have run the bike through a full tank with 150mls of Nulon extra strength injector cleaner and am happy to report that the bike idles noticeably better.  There are nil other issues that would indicate O ring's suffering, so I am therefore sold on the stuff, I will be adding it to my 5000km routine oil and filter change.

Cannot believe I have not cottoned onto this stuff earlier.

Cheers, Gareth

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

X-Ray

Hmmm, nice to know. Thanks Gareth  :drinks:
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

movenon

Quote from: Firehawk068 on June 18, 2014, 10:51:24 PM
Quote from: FJmonkey on June 18, 2014, 07:37:18 PM

+1

I have occasionally run seafoam if it sits for long period without fresh gas being run through it..................I have also used the Star-Tron additive as well.......

+1 on the Star-Tron here in the U.S..  Because of the ethanol gas.  I put some in about every other tank full during the summer and over dose it slightly during winter storage.  I don't drain the carbs during the winter and they looked good last April when I had them off to spring load the choke rod.  I pulled one bowl to inspect it after 2 years of this routine and it was clean.  During the winter I try to keep the fuel tank full.

I don't know how much "cleaner" it has it it.  Actually I think the ethanol is a pretty good cleaner, it just doesn't store well especially if your fuel tank is vented to out side air. 
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

alexvitojustin

Alex in Texas

1984 FJ1100
1984 FJ1100

I have a pair!

giantkiller

I've used seafoam. Because everybody kept saying use Seafoam. Use seafoam. I have never noticed it doing anything. A friend of mine told me to try amzoil quick shot. He used to work at a small engine repair shop. He said when people would bring in weed whackers and such. That wouldn't run in the spring. They would put some quick shot in it and wait a day or two. And 9 times out 10. It would clear it out. Then they would charge them for the "repair" and give it back to them.

I had my ex wife's snowblower. She hadn't gotten it running in years.  I put fresh gas and 2stoke oil in it. Wouldn't even hit once. With the electric starter. The primer bubble wouldn't even push in. Plugged up tight. Put some quick shot in it turned it over working the throttle a few times. Left it overnight and after I got back from work. I found I could push the bubble in. It didn't push easy at first. But it cleared out after a  while. And it started. Ran like shit. For a half a tank or so.  Works great now. Quick shot. The only thing I've tried that I can say actually works.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

twood1972

I know guys who swear by Seafoam. They put it in the tank  and the crank case, in their coffee, bath water, ect, ect. I've used it and don't think it worked very well. B12 does though.
TIMOTHY

Pat Conlon

........so does bypassing the problem altogether by not storing your FJ with ethanol in your fuel.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Waiex191

Quote from: Pat Conlon on November 01, 2022, 05:09:15 PM
........so does bypassing the problem altogether by not storing your FJ with ethanol in your fuel.
Amen to that!
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL