The unexpected end to Dan’s WCR. Thanks to all for your help in time of need.

Started by DMag-FJ, June 05, 2014, 03:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMag-FJ

Sorry this took so long to post. 
My limbs have been out of sorts, as you might guess.  This wasn't quite how I planned to end my participation in this years' WCR. 

My apologies to all for my "un-fun" diversion from an otherwise perfect outing.  I offer my most sincere and heartfelt thanks to all for your help as my bike was recovered from a rather awkward and unintentional FJ placement.  ... but before I get too far into this, the pleasant parts of the trip. 
Up until my mishap, definitely a great time.  Glad I could participate in the Rally.  A great group of folks, a nice set of bikes.  beautiful venue, and perfect weather.  What more could you wish for!   (OK, yes, right!) After repairs and recovery are completed, I'll plan on participating next year (though I suspect I'll be with the slower group).   Glad I could amuse you with the motorized ice chest, and I hope it made additional rounds on Saturday night after I took myself out of circulation. 

That said –

Yes,  mistakes were made.  I'll be happy to speak to you at next years' rally on "How to stuff a Perfectly Fine FJ & Rider under a Guardrail".  That will be followed by my amusingly accurate "Top-10 Re-Remembered Ways of How Not to Catastrophically Screw-Up".  Yes, most of you knew these lessons already, I thought I did, but apparently, I needed a refresher course. 

Regarding the Rider:  I don't recommend anyone replicating my feat.  However, I'm a greater fan now of my Full Faced Helmet, Armor, Kevlar, etc.  I'm surprised I came out of this significantly better than I expected.  The Doctors and Nurses at Willetts Hospital see a lot of downed motorcyclists, and commented that the complete gear definitely paid for itself (and I don't think they were quite as grumpy to me as a result).   Good fortune placed my demise between the wooden supports, and at a low enough trajectory that I mostly passed under the Guardrail. (Well, mostly)

Unfortunately, I also Broke 1-Rib, Fractured 2-Ribs, Severely Bruised & Battered both Shoulders and Hips/Thighs in the process of passing under.  (Lotsa purple, red & black at the moment).   Given the alternatives, I can only take this as a win, as I expected dramatically worse in the first place.  With the exception of 5 failed IV attempts by the crack-paramedics who recovered my miserable carcass, not a drop of blood was spilled.  No harm to the head/neck/back – how cool is that?!. 

I have been home since Sunday, and basically have been on "horizontal-hold" in recovery mode.  I am told to expect "Bad" for only 2-weeks, followed by perhaps 6-weeks of recovery.   Broken Ribs:  Not so fun by a large margin, but such is life.  Yosomite this weekend, probably out of the question.

Regarding the Bike:  I have not been able to see it since the mishap, but I'm told that it's repairable, and should be in service in due course.  Expect to see my post in "Restorations/Projects" once I'm up and about.  Stay tuned.  Special thanks to Randy, WizardFrank, Winddnacer Corey, Moparman Steve, and Midget Mike Ramos for helping recover the bike.  I really appreciate your saving it from my mistreatment.  I know I have a couple more thanks to follow.  If I missed someone's efforts, please forgive the oversight, I'm still pulling everything together at the moment. 

More to follow – but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Dan
Dan Magliari

1986 FJ1200
1973 Datsun 240Z 3L
1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster 2.1L
2007 Toyota Tundra 4.6L

simi_ed

Dan, I'm glad to hear that you're OK, or will soon be.  I appreciate that you've had a humbling experience but don't feel that you're the only one.  It can and has happened to others.  I personally did a back slide down the I-5 in LA a few years ago.

It seems like your FJ is more than salvageable, so you're already half way there!  Keep posting and maybe a good bruise pic or 2.  It's a well known fact that nothing attracts the chicks faster than USD forks bruises & scars. 

Heal well, and come back to ride with us again!

Ed
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

Joe Sull

I broke a rib and fractured a couple 3 years ago. I never would have thought that it would hurt so much. The spasms- UNFRIGGENBELIEVABLE. They gave my some pain killers and muscle relaxers and that helped. It's gonna be a while before it's not painful to walk. I hope you get out of it easy. Good luck.
You Keep What you kill

movenon

Dan, get well soon. You will find out that you are in good company.  I also relate to what you are going through.  Cracked ribs, broken clavicle etc, etc.. Take some time and get healed back up. Your bike didn't look that bad and is fixable.  The ribs will take some time to heal up. don't cough ! :lol:
Hope to see you next year.
George

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

andyoutandabout

Dan, good to hear from you and that you're doing fine. No one relishes a get off, but sounds like you got off pretty OK; recent times hi-lighting others who weren't so lucky. Best medicine, a big dose of positive pills to lift your spirits and kickstart the rebuild. Aren't those engine bars truly great and the rally trooper who donated a screen almost before the sliding Fj came to a halt, all mean that your on the up swing of this learning curve.
See you at the September Renegade
Andy
life without a bike is just life

winddancer

FJmonkey

Quote from: winddancer on June 05, 2014, 08:48:07 PM
Dan you are welcome hope the photo helps

Wow, that FJ corners like its on rails....  :sarcastic:

Dan, I am sorry I missed meeting you and seeing your tour around the campfire... We need to keep the FJ group thinking that the ambulance colors are due the fast speeds we ride at and coming to the rescue, not a need for a 911 call... I look forward to meeting you...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Nooo not an 86! Oh and glad you will be ok. If it was going to happen you were with good people. I hated missing the WCR but hearing about your tumble was a true bummer.  Heal quickly bro.

andyoutandabout

San Dimas Mike - where were you? Your name was bounced around the campfire. All agreed, you look good on your 86.
Andy
life without a bike is just life

Mark Olson

Dan , it was great to meet you and ride with you. Your fj is fine and just needs a couple cosmetic parts , or colored duct tape.

Craig and I kept wondering where you guys were and had a bad feeling something had happened.
you were missed around the campfire and I look forward to seeing you again.
when you start to put the bike back together give a shout out and maybe I have some of what you need.
We 86 ers gotta stick together.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

DMag-FJ

Thanks all for the kind words. 

Managed to take a look at the bike this morning and admire my handiwork, I think I liked it better before!.  What a bonehead move!  :dash2:

I had planned on polishing up the pipes for the rally, fortunately I ran out of time before I did.  Thank you Rally Trooper for the awesome screen upgrade, very kind.  It will look great on the new Front Fairing.  Bummer about the nice set of 4-matching rubber slide tabs that tore off the right & left side.   I just can't imagine how they came off going under the railing.  If anyone needs four of the darn things, they can be found near the railing in the dirt by the 15.5 mile marker.  Should be easy to find, I think you will see some skid marks leading up to them.   

I'll hold off on the Bruise pictures for the moment.   I don't think I'm in full bloom yet.   I'd hate to shortchange anyone of a nice technicolor shot (though already by far the most impressive discoloration I've ever had - thank you very much - thank you - thank you.

Thanks again to everyone.   It's a great day to be on the sunny side of the grass.

Dan

Dan Magliari

1986 FJ1200
1973 Datsun 240Z 3L
1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster 2.1L
2007 Toyota Tundra 4.6L

novaraptor

:good2:
Cheer up! We get to use you as a "bad example"! Seriously, coming out of it with a repairable bike and a few banged up ribs is a definite "win". See ya next year..
1990 FJ1200
Ride fast, live free... I forget the rest...

racerrad8

Dan,

Are you sure you went under...? :pardon:

By this picture it looks like you were grinding the rail like them kids on them skateboard thingies... :wacko3:

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Zari

Dan,

I must have asked five times about the whereabouts of you three....should have gone with my intuition and headed out on an early search party. My appologies.  Nonetheless, an overall good ending considering the alternative.  All, if not most have felt the ground in such a situation....a sort of right of passage...Ugh.  As far as ribs go, I too have broken a couple.  But would you believe, it was when I thought I was a Mountain Bike rider...Ha; good one.  800 mg of ibuprofin is the select drug of choice for that, but would imagine a few have already been down your gullet. It was terrific to meet you and your roving cooler; hope to see you and Frank the wizard in September!
Rest well Dan.

Flynt

Quote from: Zari on June 06, 2014, 07:26:19 PM
Frank the wizard

I think Cap'n Ron was also confused on this point...  I'm no wizard, but the bike is.  I'm Flynt and mostly just trying to hold on.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...