News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

NOISE COMING FROM MY 84 FJ

Started by Brian, April 24, 2014, 06:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Gday Guys , i have just noticed a high pitched screaming coming from my bike while riding ,it comes & goes frequently  it sounds like its coming from the engine but when i pull clutch in it stays there until i roll down to about 10kph then stops suddenly ,now its gettin colder its happening more often this would have to be a wheel bearing wouldn't it ?
does anyone know the part number of front wheel bearings for fj1100 so i can purchase locally
& have them quickly ,i have the seals

any help much appreciated

cheers Brian
Dont you just love that special place of Beer,Bikes 'N' Bullshit !

Pat Conlon

Hey Brian, disconnect your speedo cable at the wheel and pull your speedo cable out of the sheath, hook it back up empty, go for a ride and see if the noise goes away....

You might have the Death Howl...
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Tiger

:hi: Disconnect your speedo cable and take your FJ for a wee spin around the block.......is the noise still there ?? or :scratch_one-s_head:

John.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!

oldktmdude

G'day Brian, disconnect your speedo cable at the wheel and go for a test ride. Make sure that you tape the cable end so you don't loose the inner cable. Front end squealing or screaming noises are usually associated with the speedo. If it's still making the noise, check your wheel bearings.  Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Tiger

:lol: :rofl2: :rofl: Great minds think alike Pat/oldkt :good2:

John.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!

oldktmdude

Seems like I'm about 3 or 4 minutes behind?  :unknown:  Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

Brian

WOW , unreal how you guys think alike ill get out of my Pyjammies & do that,
if that is it do i just grease the cable or is it the speedo drive or head then ?

thanks for everyones input

FJmonkey

Most likely the speedo, the scalded cat howl foretold the end of my 86' speedo. There is an outfit in San Diego, CA that repairs them. Or you could install a digital GPS unit, they look real slick...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Brian

Quote from: Pat Conlon on April 24, 2014, 06:39:58 PM
Hey Brian, disconnect your speedo cable at the wheel and pull your speedo cable out of the sheath, hook it back up empty, go for a ride and see if the noise goes away....

Yep u got rite guys, noise stopped when removed , rerouted cable & reconnected & noise gone (at the moment anyway) your all unreal

cheers Brian  :good2: :good:

oldktmdude

Quote from: Brian on April 24, 2014, 08:48:18 PM

Yep u got rite guys, noise stopped when removed , rerouted cable & reconnected & noise gone (at the moment anyway) your all unreal

Brian, the cable is probably due for some lubrication. Lithium grease seems to be a good way to go.
You wouldn't think such a wicked noise could come from a speedo cable.   Pete. :scratch_one-s_head:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

simi_ed

Quote from: oldktmdude on April 24, 2014, 09:00:16 PM
Quote from: Brian on April 24, 2014, 08:48:18 PM

Brian, the cable is probably due for some lubrication. Lithium grease seems to be a good way to go.
You wouldn't think such a wicked noise could come from a speedo cable.   Pete. :scratch_one-s_head:

Exactly, you'd never think a cable could make that much noise, cause IT CAN'T.  The howling gods have just been stirred about, they'll be back.  Don't delay, make plans to get it fixed bore it goes Tango Utah.
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke