News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

One vs the Other

Started by ribbert, April 22, 2014, 10:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

I'm no expert on this but has anyone actually had first hand experience with fibreglass not taking to ABS plastic or is it just one of those ideas that circulates.

I have put a lot of time into repairing a spare set of body work using fibreglass based on this:

These tabs had broken into pieces. I made new ones from fibre glass and under lapped the guard by about 3/4". Given the well documented stress at this point, this repair has lasted about 40,000k's which made me wonder.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

movenon

I have used fiberglass a few times on ABS and did run some informal tests.  ABS parts would stick and or add some rigidity but the stuff will not bond or melt into the ABS.  I have had better luck using it as a backing for strength as in gluing a fender up with ABS cement or glue and layering up some fiberglass on the back side for stiffness.  Like most I have used glues, heat, plastic rated epoxy's, fiberglass and plastic welding.  Some areas on the stock front fender are under a lot of stress. Those tabs and the attachment points at the forks.

You are doing good by reinforcing those tabs.. IMO that fender looks good but is of poor design.  I wounder why in the heck Yamaha didn't change it in the 10 years of production.  Seems they could have improved the fender and cross brace easily.

When I get around to it I will add a additional fork brace, mostly to help protect the fender.  We are fighting something else, 20-30 year old ABS. On mine I also opened up the tab hole slightly (after repairing it) in hopes of not having it actually touch or bind against the bolt threads.  Probably a waste of time but it is all I can think of to help the problem.

I like your front brake line.....  :good2:
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Arnie

I've repaired or reinforced ABS with fiberglass a number of times and not had any problems. 
I did rough up the ABS and the patches were not in high stress areas.  Worked for me.

keand3

I found my oem top fairing beeing repaired with fiberglass when starting my mods on the bike 2 years ago, long story made short, its a reason for why i bought a new top fairing out of fiberglass.

Although the old one would probably hold of a while longer it won't last. As soon as i started gently to remove some of the repair it just cracked and big chunks just fell off. Leaving the old abs plastic area exposed.

I hope that you have more lucke then me  :good2:
Whant to check out my photos on the bike??
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=828DDEC8DF631CA5%21103

ribbert

Quote from: keand3 on April 25, 2014, 09:32:49 AM
I found my oem top fairing beeing repaired with fiberglass when starting my mods on the bike 2 years ago, long story made short, its a reason for why i bought a new top fairing out of fiberglass.

Although the old one would probably hold of a while longer it won't last. As soon as i started gently to remove some of the repair it just cracked and big chunks just fell off. Leaving the old abs plastic area exposed.

I hope that you have more lucke then me  :good2:

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the success or otherwise of repairing ABS with fibreglass has a lot to do with preparing the plastic surface.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

keand3

Quote from: ribbert on April 25, 2014, 10:34:57 AM

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the success or otherwise of repairing ABS with fibreglass has a lot to do with preparing the plastic surface.

Noel

:good2:
Whant to check out my photos on the bike??
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=828DDEC8DF631CA5%21103