News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

fork bushess

Started by chiz, April 20, 2014, 12:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiz

Hey all
   It would be great to get a consensus on how hard it would be to push the fork tube into the slider with only the bottom bush in place NO TOP BUSH. What I am experiencing is a fork tube that is extremely hard to push down the slider and just as hard to yank out. I have to clamp the the slider in the vise to accomplish this and NO I'm nor squeezing the slider in the vise it is almost like if these are oversize bushes. they basically measure out at 1.06 mm thick bottom bush and 2.06 mm top bush and they are supposed to be 1mm and 2mm respectively... Any thoughts on this anyone?
Chiz 

racerrad8

They should slide & out with just a light resistance with both bushing installed & oiled.
(I never install them dry)

How does the bore of the slider look, is there any scoring?

Are the for tubes straight?
(roll them on a flat floor and if they wobble up & down they are bent)

Is this both forks or just one?

If just one, try the offending fork tube in the other slider.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

chiz

not bent havent tried the other one.
chiz

chiz

OK  Pretty clear now that these are poorly manufactured parts as the fork will not slide down my old 84 sliders which came with the bike. I guess I can continue to sand down the inside of the bottom bush until it compresses enough to be a decent fit in the slider. Judging by the thickness of the top bush I will have to do the same to the outside of it to get it to fit the top of the slider without having to beat it in.... Anyone know where I can get some decent bushes these are from Pyramid and I think they are too thick in cross section.
Chiz

FJmonkey

Quote from: chiz on April 21, 2014, 06:58:11 AM
Anyone know where I can get some decent bushes.
Chiz

I got mine from Randy at RPM... www.rpmracingca.com He already gave you advice on solving your fork problem (racerrad8).
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side