90 fj will not move after extra spring and wide fibre disk added

Started by cannon, April 19, 2014, 05:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannon

Looking for the problem here. I followed the clutch modification to the T  i believe. I removed last smaller fiber and last springs also wire with needle nose and added regular size disk in first position and  another spring to the front both pieces purchased from RPM. Springs are torqued down. After putting back together clutch does not grab I can start the bike in first gear without the clutch bike wont move

Any advice would be great.
Thanks Cannon

racerrad8

If the pressure plate is not engage with the clutch boss and is sitting on top of the drive cogs the bike will not move.

Also, jet to confirm, how many fibers & steels did you put back in?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

cannon

Thank you for your reply Randy I will go count. But Im sure I removed the narrow fibre disk and two steel rings in the back. Replaced them with the regular size disk I purchased  I threw out the wire that had to be pulled out with needle nose. I put the new FJR spring on top of my old spring so both are on there. So you are saying it is possible to put the pressure plate back on wrong? Ive had it apart twice but understand if I have to Ill tear it apart again. Thank again and Robert was good to work with by the way.

cannon

Thank you sir the pressure plate was not lined up the the clutch Boss it dropped in this time and now making contact with Fibre.

cannon

Another satisfied Customer took the FJ for a good run plenty of Power

Steve_in_Florida

Good job! Your bike looks pretty cool all stripped down like that.

The only thing that catches my eye, though, is that you have TOO MUCH front fender. It just doesn't look "balanced" following the removal of the other fairings and covers. I picture a skinny little front fender to round out the look.

...of course this is just _MY_ impression.

Now go ride!

Steve

Quote from: cannon on April 19, 2014, 09:04:44 PM
Another satisfied Customer took the FJ for a good run plenty of Power

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

FJmonkey

Maybe a Bandit front fender? This fender is not mounted yet, just a test fit and it sits too far forward in the pic...

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

cannon

Yes way too much FENDER and will post pics when it is fixed. Weather is now good for riding here in Michigan. Hmm Florida and California No dirty snow drifts or 30 degree mornings. Tear it up boys

cannon

FJ Monkey maybe I'm wrong maybe your messing with me but that bandit fender looks like its on backwards.

FJscott

Mark,
When I fit my bandit fender to my 92 it looked to me like there was a larger gap between the tire and the front of the fender than the back of the fender. My solution was fitting a rubber grommet between the 2 front mounting bolts and the fender, that dropped the front of the fender closer to the tire.

Scott

FJscott

Quote from: FJscott on April 21, 2014, 06:52:39 AM
Mark,
When I fit my bandit fender to my 92 it looked to me like there was a larger gap between the tire and the front of the fender than the back of the fender. My solution was fitting a rubber grommet between the 2 front mounting bolts and the fender, that dropped the front of the fender closer to the tire.

Scott
Here is a pic with the fender closer to the tire

Scott

FJmonkey

Quote from: FJscott on April 21, 2014, 07:03:47 AM
Mark,

Scott

Did your fender fit snug up against the cylindrical pockets and touch the rubber bumpers?

FJscott

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 21, 2014, 07:06:41 PM
Quote from: FJscott on April 21, 2014, 07:03:47 AM
Mark,

Scott

Did your fender fit snug up against the cylindrical pockets and touch the rubber bumpers?
Yes and no. The rubber bumper was laminated. I peeled off a layer or two.

FJmonkey

Quote from: FJscott on April 21, 2014, 07:10:47 PM
Yes and no. The rubber bumper was laminated. I peeled off a layer or two.

I will watch for that when I get the adapter bracket made up and do another test fit. Thanks.