News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Look what I found in my carb

Started by 88 orangepeel notch, April 10, 2014, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

88 orangepeel notch

Don't know if this pic will show up, but it shows the importance of giving your bike a good once over before the first ride. I just started my bike to find it only running on 3.

When I took it apart, I found my air cleaner came out from the slots that hold it up,  and found this sucked thru a carb.  It only ran for a couple seconds, and luckily it didn't go thru, but I still have no clue how it got there.  It was stored in a my garage since September,  there are no signs of mice in airbox, and was running great when stored. 

Best described as a dryer sheet, but smaller.  Live and learn.

movenon

Interesting catch ! No idea of what it is but either it was covering the filter or got sucked in through the intake.. Now is a good time to consider installing some UniPods.  I did that during the winter and its one of those mods I should have done earlier.  Easy to see and service, opens a lot of room where the old air box was, lot easier to pull the carbs.  I highly recommend them. I bought mine from http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Carb%3ARPMPod&cat=24..

George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

88 orangepeel notch

Thanks for the link, may have to give Randy a call.  That airbox is a real pain, would love to get rid of it.

Capn Ron

Quote from: 88 orangepeel notch on April 10, 2014, 10:07:19 PM

The dryer sheet in the #3 carburetor was standard on some years.  It was installed to get rid of that annoying static cling and to give your FJ that "mountain spring" freshness!

What George said...get to know Randy at RPM.  He has spent years getting to know the FJ and how to best support us.  The inverse is highly recommended.

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

simi_ed

Quote from: Capn Ron on April 10, 2014, 11:44:34 PM

The dryer sheet in the #3 carburetor was standard on some years.  It was installed to get rid of that annoying static cling and to give your FJ that "mountain spring" freshness!

Cap'n Ron. . .

Thanks for a good laugh!  :rofl2: :drinks:
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

88 orangepeel notch

Quote from: Capn Ron on April 10, 2014, 11:44:34 PM

I actually laughed loud enough to get looks from coworkers on this one, thanks.  Now I really have to work.

X-Ray

Mmmm, best thing I did was get rid of that useless standard airbox/filter and install Unipods. The amount of dirt that got past the filter and into my carbs was unbelievable.

Heres some piccies,  :good2:  http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=10458.0  But yep, for a ridiculously small amount of money, the Unifilters are a must have I think.

'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

yamaha fj rider

+1 on the Uni pods I installed them a year ago and have been very happy with them. The only downfall might be the sound of the carbs sucking air but it doesn't bother me. Hope this was helpful.

I have heard of washable filters but putting them in with the laundry?

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

88 orangepeel notch

Thanks for the tips and advice guys.  But unfortunately I have to sell one of my bikes.   Of course I'm asking alittle more for the FJ than what its worth hoping to keep it.  

I'll stick the money into whichever one doesn't sell.

EDIT:  Sorry, the picture was cropped wrong, cutting off my FJ

mikedastonfj1100

Quote from: yamaha fj rider on April 11, 2014, 08:40:34 AM
+1 on the Uni pods I installed them a year ago and have been very happy with them. The only downfall might be the sound of the carbs sucking air but it doesn't bother me. Hope this was helpful.

I have heard of washable filters but putting them in with the laundry?

Kurt

well its not that type of washable.... What they mean by washable is washing them off with a garden hose or in the sink... After u do that put a little bit of air filter oil on them... Then reinstall:)
"I live my life 1/4 mile at a time. Within that 10 seconds or less, I'm free".... Fast and the furious quote said by vin dessel...

wyraider

I REALLY tried NOT to comment, however I'm just a sick individual and can't help but laugh...I once had a dog that ate a bag, it came out about the same....BAD DEAL   :rofl: But good find for sure
So dad asked me why I pack my 45 in the house....God damn decepticons I told him. We laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot it, it was a good time:-) Had to share that haha

Yamifj1200

"...I once had a dog that ate a bag, it came out about the same....BAD DEAL   "

Was it Labrador?? Bet it tasted like shit...

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Arnie

Quote from: Yamifj1200 on April 21, 2014, 07:08:17 PM
"...I once had a dog that ate a bag, it came out about the same....BAD DEAL   "

Was it Labrador?? Bet it tasted like shit...

Eric M

Yeah, Labs aren't the most tasty of dogs.  :-)