News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Cheese and Rice! I am going crazy with this issue!

Started by dracko, April 01, 2014, 08:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dracko

Hey yall I have an issue with an 84 fj1100... The bike has a racing idle issue where by she will climb in rpms until i kil switchl it... Throttle up and despite my throttling down it still stays at a high rpm.. Zso my first thought is a vacuum leak.. What I have checked so far.... New boot o-rings made sure intake surface was clean and clear.. boots are in great condition still no cracks.. Boots were torqued down properly good solid seal.. New vacuum hoses to the tank and the ignitor box. .  I have no other idea where the vacuum leak could possibly be other then the ic ignitor and I have yet to see any post on how to diagnose it... is it suppose to hold vacuum?

Oh and yea I am new to the boards and Fjs but not bikes or cars in general.  I am a mechanic and have been for a little over ten years now and I currently live in Denver Colorado and I like beer... and girls... and yeah thats about it.. I figure I would introduce myself cuz I will be here a lot asking queztions and searching for some parts and ideas..
Ain't no rest for the wicked.. Ain't no pardon for the righteous.

FJmonkey

Welcome Dracko, how fast is the idle rising? How high does it get before you kill the engine? Does it stabilize at any RPM?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

dracko

I can not say for sure as in give an exact number to the rpms.. It will max though if I let it.. So no it doesnt seem to stabilize at a particular rpm value..

dracko

Also it kinda depends on how fast... if the bike is already warm when i start it agian from just killing it rpm spike is immediate. . As it warms up from a cold start the it is more gradual..

FJmonkey

dracko

Yes absolutely and it will have to stay choked for 2 - 5 minutes..

FJmonkey

What is the idle like when cold and under choke?

dracko

Elevated but not screaming, sounds normal compared to my other bikes when choke applied..

FJmonkey

Quote from: dracko on April 01, 2014, 09:46:33 PM
Elevated but not screaming sounds normal compated to my other bikes whe throttle applied..

At the "screaming" level, what is the RPM indicated at?

dracko

I dont have the gauge cluster hooked up yet so I honestly couldn't say.. screaming would be wide open throttle though..

FJmonkey

Quote from: dracko on April 01, 2014, 10:01:39 PM
I dont have the gauge cluster hooked up yet so I honestly couldn't say.. screaming would be wide open throttle though..

Oh... Well, perhaps lower the idle adjust screw for starters....

dracko

Once off the choke and idling fine if I rev it up it will stick.. I checked the cables, no binding, smooth action.. Same for the choke cable...

dracko

FJmonkey

Quote from: dracko on April 01, 2014, 10:07:29 PM
Once off the choke and idling fine if I rev it up it will stick.. I checked the cables, no binding, smooth action.. Same for the choke cable...

Maybe you have another FJowner near you that can provide some support???

dracko

Haha maybe... I work odd hours so I am trying to figure this out on time I have available. . .