News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

cdi swap / rev limiter options?

Started by jnimbostratus, March 31, 2014, 10:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj1289

Quote from: jnimbostratus on May 07, 2014, 08:56:49 PM
so noone has anything on this huh? there was a circuit bored in the dash with wires going to the cdi. sure seems to me like an external rev limiter. someone needs to know.

OK - I'll bite!

Great project you have going -- and a lot of times those projects will take you out in no mans land by yourself.   

Sounds like you are there.  Oh well, just gotta figure it out then post it up for the benefits of others -- part of being in the club....just like the banter your post spun off.  Most of the front and rear wheel swaps started this way.  I remember Frank Moore trying to figure out if the FZ1 stuff was coin to fit before buying the salvaged bike.  No one could help him and he had to take the chances and figure it out.  Now it's one of the "standard" swaps if you will.

Sounds like you've done your home work and have figured out a good solution where no one else is sure.   Go for it! 

Another alternative is fitting an entire Dyna ignition system and getting a selectable rev limiter. 

But then again isn't the fighter attitude more like piss off we don't need no stinking rev limiters while we're burning the place down! :diablo:

jnimbostratus

if cost was no issue brother i would have a dyna programmable on there already. along with the td05h snail i have sitting on the shelve (with all suporting mods) and a nice new inverted front end. but.... in this economy and all you know lol. and as far as the fighter mentality its not so much that i need the revlimit but at this point almost principal frustration. it is nice to have tho if ya go down with no tip sensor or any of that. got hit by a cage in very slow traffic last summer on my cbrf2 fighter and it sat on its side bouncing rev limit for a good 35 45 seconds while i picked myself up threw my helmet at the car that hit me and walked to pick up my bike.

andyb

I'll bite.

Why do you need a rev limiter?  What kind of exotic motor combination are you running that can't handle being overreved, and yet wants to be spun like that, blasting through the revs?

Maybe fj1289 can help here, but I'm (still!) in the process of building a mild FJ up, and one of my design criteria is that max allowable rpm is 9500, with an aim at getting peak power at 9000.  I'm sure I'm leaving some on the table, limiting myself, but I'd wager that I'm saving a ton of heartache by not spinning the combination like it's 20 years newer, either.

IMO, if you're making power so high that you need a hard limiter, you should look at your cam timing and make a quick tweak.

jnimbostratus

ok champ. my last post should have said "i dont NEED a rev limiter but its nice to have if you dump and throttle sticks wide open" you just came off as a huge douche. just saying.

andyb

Well kiddo, you've now had a unit linked to you which would limit the revs.  You could arguably go to a tether switch if your concern is falling off and having the throttle held open.

How much more hand holding do you need?

If you're bent on using the 84/85 TCI unit that connects to the dash as shown as #8 in the GYSM for the 1100's, you should do some research about it here and the confirmation of it doing what the first link says it will when partially disconnected here.  You'd have an abysmally low rev limit then unless you got fancy and respec'd the unit internally, and convinced it to work for your application.

But frankly, I'd imagine that you're not remotely bright enough to do that.

Just saying.

jnimbostratus

ok sport. im not bent on anything. did you read any of this before jumping in with your condescending attitude about my "exotic motor combination" if you were not so busy being a genius you would have noticed that options for using different year TCI was part of the question. i understand your frustration with me though i know it cant be easy to "help" dumb people like me. thanks for the hand holding you have really just been super.   

rktmanfj

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

Harvy

Quote from: andyb on May 08, 2014, 01:33:25 AM
Also, more on topic:  Didn't the home market (JDM) FJ11's have a connection to the dash for the top speed limiter?

Only limiter on JDM that I know of is speed limiter which cut the ignition at around 180kph - my '91 had that on the back of the speedo.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

Capn Ron

Actually, the dead-man switch that Andy threw out there seems reasonable if over-revving during a get off is the problem.  Had one on the Yamaha jet boat.  Clip it to the switch, coily-cord to the vest and poof!  Instant engine kill switch should you and the bike suddenly part company.  Dead-simple, reliable and little to nothing to adjust.  Oh...and it's an OEM Yamaha part!   :good2:

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

simi_ed

Quote from: Capn Ron on May 11, 2014, 11:54:19 PM
snip> the dead-man switch <snip>  Oh...and it's an OEM Yamaha part!   :good2:

Cap'n Ron. . .

More info, please!
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

Capn Ron

Quote from: simi_ed on May 12, 2014, 02:09:58 AM
Quote from: Capn Ron on May 11, 2014, 11:54:19 PM
snip> the dead-man switch <snip>  Oh...and it's an OEM Yamaha part!   :good2:

Cap'n Ron. . .

More info, please!

On just about any modern watercraft, there's a kill switch that's activated if you fall off.  Basically, so your boat or Waverunner doesn't keep going, essentially abandoning you in the middle of the lake and crashing into a dock full of tourists.  It's just a coiled cord that you attach to you on one end...and the switch on the other end.  If you go flying off, the little clip pulls out of the switch opening a circuit...killing the engine.

They all look something like this:

I had a 2006 Yamaha SX230 jet boat for a while (Twin marine-rated Yamaha R1 engines!!!) that had this as standard and is in the parts catalog.  Regardless, it's about a $15 part and is drunken PWC-rider FOOL proof!   :good2:

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

Dan Filetti

Here's the thing.  Many modern day bikes have a tip-over sensor, 'bank angle sensor', 'tip over relay' or 'tip over/ shut off' switch that will kill the ignition if the bike winds up on it's side.  I just did a quick Google/ eBay  search and it seems that many/ most folks want to disable it/ remove it from their bike.  Accordingly, if you want to go against that trend, (and actually add one) -these sensors are readily available on eBay for not a lot of $$, All you'd need to do, is figure out how to wire it in and mount it.  There are literally hundreds of them on eBay...  No bothersome tether to mess with.

Good luck

Dan

Live hardy, or go home. 

Capn Ron

Quote from: Dan Filetti on May 12, 2014, 07:07:00 AM
Here's the thing.  Many modern day bikes have a tip-over sensor, 'bank angle sensor', 'tip over relay' or 'tip over/ shut off' switch that will kill the ignition if the bike winds up on it's side.  I just did a quick Google/ eBay  search and it seems that many/ most folks want to disable it/ remove it from their bike.  Accordingly, if you want to go against that trend, (and actually add one) -these sensors are readily available on eBay for not a lot of $$, All you'd need to do, is figure out how to wire it in and mount it.  There are literally hundreds of them on eBay...  No bothersome tether to mess with.

Good luck

Dan

Nice find Dan!  I was being a bit tongue in cheek with the overly-simple tether solution to illustrate how complex the answer was getting.  Some sort of programmable ignition ECU box?  I'm still not sure what the overall goal is, but I think it's to stop the engine in case of a tip over.  ...and BEHOLD!...apparently they put these things on modern motorcycles all the time!  I really had no idea.

Well over a thousand of them on Ebay for under $10!  Cool.  It makes me wonder why everyone is removing them?  What problem are *they* trying to solve by taking it off?  Some are called a "bank angle sensor"...Do those tie into a traction control system to change engine dynamics in a turn?  Maybe that's why they are being removed.  Also...I wonder if they put out a variable signal depending on the angle or just open a circuit past a specific angle?  Makes me want to pick one up and play with it on the bench.   :yes:

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .