News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Clutch lever pull distance...

Started by europe50, October 19, 2009, 12:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

europe50

My '86 FJ 1200 has about 30k miles and runs great. but I don't really have to pull the clutch handle back more than 1/4" (With pressure) to shift gears. I currently do not have any slipping issues, so is this normal, or is my clutch going?
Dean

the fan

Dean N. had the same issue on his 93. When I checked it out he had several drive (fiber) plates that were worn beyond spec. Replacing the clutch discs solved the problem.

europe50

Any good places to get good clutch discs? Any recommendations?

the fan

Gary McCoy of MonDak Motorsports in Sidney MT http://www.mondakmotorsports.com is the preferred USA source.

You need to look up your own part numbers, but his discount makes it worth the effort.

His email (preferred method of contact) is garymccoy@mondakmotorsports.com

Phone numbers are: My toll free # 866-433-6635 reg ph # 406-433-6635 fax 406-433-8337

So basically.
1) Look up your parts and email the list to garymccoy@mondakmotorsports.com .

2) include in the email that you are part of the FJ Owners group and your user name.

Gary will email you a quote with the correct pricing ASAP. Remember the correct pricing will not show up in the shopping cart if you use the Mondak sites order form. It's best just to email the list to Gary to avoid confusion.

racerrad8

Quote from: europe50 on October 19, 2009, 09:20:35 PM

Raduechel Performance Motorsports
randy@rpmracingca.com

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=69.0

Also another post on this topic; http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=1014.msg7367#msg7367

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

europe50

It sounds like I need a couple of fiber discs. Thanks guys!

wheels

Quote from: europe50 on October 19, 2009, 09:20:35 PM
hi europe50 i was wondering if changing the clutch plates solved your problem and if so were the plate's worn .? for i stick my bike into gear and let the clutch out and there's nothing. ican rev it up and the wheel just spin's slowly any idea's cheers wheels.

europe50

I plan on checking on my clutch in the near future (During winter) and can give you an update then. Just trying to get as much riding as I can before packing it up.
Dean

indyblue

Isn't it recommended to replace the fiber friction disks and metal clutch plates at the same time?  Or is that a judgment call depending on condition of the plates?  On my cars I always replace brake pads, wheel bearings, etc. in matched sets as good practice.
Indianapolis, IN `O=o-
1984 FJ1100, 39K mi., custom blue paint, K&N's, jetted, Supertrapps
2005 Pontiac GTO Impulse Blue M6 - gone
2012 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible M6 Crystal Red Tintcoat
1967 Firebird H-O Conv

andyb

Judgement call there.

If the steels are not warped and not missing bits, use them.  Discoloration is ok.