News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

RPM Shocks

Started by Tom, August 11, 2013, 04:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Hi All,
   I am looking at the RPM shock for my '88. The roads I ride on vary from tight, bumpy, twisty to open, flowing and long straights. Also city riding. Are they good shockers?

aviationfred

Here is the write up and subsequent ride reports of the RPM shock going through the final road tests before release to the public.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=7469.0

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Dan Filetti

Quote from: Tom on August 11, 2013, 04:08:05 PM
Hi All,
   I am looking at the RPM shock for my '88. The roads I ride on vary from tight, bumpy, twisty to open, flowing and long straights. Also city riding. Are they good shockers?

An 88 you say?  There are three varieties of that shock and given that you have the rare (to the US) '88, I am not at all certain which one you'd need.  Do make sure you work closely with Randy.  All reports are that the shock completely transform/ modernizes the FJ.  I have yet to read a single bad thing about it.

Good luck,

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

fj11.5

Lots of 88,s down under, although most often look the same as the 89
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Bozo

RPM didn't really have the right shock for my 1989 model, so I bought the 1991 shock and adapted it to suit. I have ridden bikes (many new) with the best shocks on the market, and I can tell you now none can compete with the RPM shock in a broad spectrum of riding and to top it off apart from the preload there was no other adjustment required (can't be changed anyway).

Am I happy with it? F##@ ooF I am, best value for money - try the "equivalent" (if there is one) high tech shock and see how much you'll pay and still not compete over the same spectrum of riding. I might ride like an old girl sometimes but when I do brake out I will torture my shock and it never gave me a feeling of letting go, if anything it felt better.

And no I don't work for and owe Randy any favors.

GO FOR IT.
First major bike in my life was a Mach III widow maker.
My Second permanent bike 1978 Z1R (owned since Dec 1977)
My Third permanent bike is the 89 FJ12 - nice and fast
Forth bike 89 FJ12 my totally standard workhorse
81 GPZ1100 hybrid - what a bike, built to sell but I can't part with it

Tom

Well then, thanks for the replies on the RPM shock, i'm going to do it. At the moment I'm bouncing around like a yo yo!!

fintip

I thought 88's were just a continuation of the 86/87 styles, not a pre-89, no?

If so, you should buy the '86/'87 style shock (an 88 was not sold in the US). Wait for someone to confirm this, though. If I'm wrong, I'll have to go edit a lot of references on fjowners.wikidot.com.

And yeah, the RPM shock is definitely the way to go.
fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

FJmonkey

Most 88's were the pre 89's, but some countries, not many, extended the 86' year.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

racerrad8

I have been in contact with Tom and we will determine what he has before moving forward.

The quick way to tell which way a specific 1988 FJ1200 bike went is the swingarm linkage.

All aluminum (84-87) or if it has dog bones (89-90)

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJmonkey

Quote from: racerrad8 on August 12, 2013, 04:51:36 PM
I have been in contact with Tom and we will determine what he has before moving forward.

The quick way to tell which way a specific 1988 FJ1200 bike went is the swingarm linkage.

All aluminum (84-87) or if it has dog bones (89-90)

Randy - RPM

Yep, that is till I upgrade to dog bones...

Bozo

Quote from: FJmonkey on August 12, 2013, 04:48:28 PM
Most 88's were the pre 89's, but some countries, not many, extended the 86' year.

Damn now even I am confused, as Randy stated he'll sort this out. I'm sure he'll pass the info on.

FJmonkey

Quote from: Bozo on August 13, 2013, 06:28:10 AM
Quote from: FJmonkey on August 12, 2013, 04:48:28 PM

Damn now even I am confused, as Randy stated he'll sort this out. I'm sure he'll pass the info on.

It is really simple as Randy stated. A quick look under your FJ and you will see either a solid looking aluminum link, or the dog bone shaped links. Dog bones = 89' and up. 

Dog bone shape

racerrad8

Okay, Tom's 88 has 89-89 shock and swing arm linkages.

I will keep track and ask each person who is ordering for the illusive 1988 version of the FJ1200 to send me a picture of the swing arm linkages to determine the correct shock for them.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

X-Ray

I am really,really trying to find some spare cash before our Anniversary ride next year to treat my baby to a new rear shock unit. I think the last time I actually did anything to it was when Baldy got the new spring put on many many moons ago.

It is long overdue for an upgrade to perfection,

'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Bozo

Quote from: X-Ray on August 16, 2013, 07:53:46 PM
I am really,really trying to find some spare cash before our Anniversary ride next year to treat my baby to a new rear shock unit. I think the last time I actually did anything to it was when Baldy got the new spring put on many many moons ago.

It is long overdue for an upgrade to perfection,

For $20 I'll let you look at my RPM shock when you get there, for $30 I might let you touch it, - cheaper than buying one. :rofl: