News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

82 cr480r

Started by HARTLESS, July 17, 2013, 10:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HARTLESS

Does anyone have any experience working on these bad boys? I picked er up about a year ago,running, but it wouldn't idle. I have been trying to get the flywheel off to change the crank seals since I got it. Problem is the threads are a little messed up where you attach the puller( which is a rh thread btw ). I have been taken it to shops and they have had no luck. Anyone have any ideas? I want to salvage the flywheel if possible because I have no money lol( not really funny)any help would be nice thanks!
STRIVE FOR PERFECTION, SETTLE FOR EXCELENCE

I ride HARTLESS or don't ride at all!

zero26tb4u

I had the pleasure of owning one of these about 6 years ago, although it may have been an 83 (4 speed vs 5 speed I believe). They have unbelievable power on the bottom and short spanned mid range but tend to fall flat on the top so alot of short shifting is involved and unfortunately the suspensions suck by today's standards. But the power on the bottom and mid is enough to rip your arms out of your sockets. If I recall the threads on the crank are reverse threads or the threads on the fly wheel that the tool threads into may have been reversed. Its been to long to really recall, and I may have had the same issue on mine, being that the threads were all mucked up by a prior owner. I think I still have the tool. Have you done a leak down test on it to be sure it actually needs a new lower seal. 

HARTLESS

Quote from: zero26tb4u on July 17, 2013, 11:35:14 AM
I had the pleasure of owning one of these about 6 years ago, although it may have been an 83 (4 speed vs 5 speed I believe). They have unbelievable power on the bottom and short spanned mid range but tend to fall flat on the top so alot of short shifting is involved and unfortunately the suspensions suck by today's standards. But the power on the bottom and mid is enough to rip your arms out of your sockets. If I recall the threads on the crank are reverse threads or the threads on the fly wheel that the tool threads into may have been reversed. Its been to long to really recall, and I may have had the same issue on mine, being that the threads were all mucked up by a prior owner. I think I still have the tool. Have you done a leak down test on it to be sure it actually needs a new lower seal. 
83 was a 5-speed and had a bit better suspension. Mine has unknown diff forms with disk brakes and I plan on a new rear shock..modern new that is. Yes it is reverse and I have the tool, but the threads are mucked up as well...how did you get yours off.. Yes its the crank seals btw. Even if not I want to change them :-P
STRIVE FOR PERFECTION, SETTLE FOR EXCELENCE

I ride HARTLESS or don't ride at all!