News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Damping fluid for fuel guage

Started by Bozo, June 04, 2013, 12:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iMav

Well, good news, no more bounce.  Bad news, gauge no longer works.

Anyone know where I can buy a replacement fuel gauge??

Bozo

Quote from: iMav on July 01, 2013, 06:45:56 PM
Well, good news, no more bounce.  Bad news, gauge no longer works.

Anyone know where I can buy a replacement fuel gauge??

iMav, assuming you didn't cut any of the wires accidentally (on the fuel gauge body), the hole you drilled might have a burr from the drilling which is stopping the internal barrel from spinning. You should be able to lift the needle by hand to the full mark and let it drop down - it should drop slowly to empty (not just sit there). If that works I suggest you check if a wire was cut, if you know an electronics person that has a steady hand you should be able to re-solder it (you can unwind one turn of wire if it helps, and insulate the solder point).
This is all assuming there are no other wiring issues leading to the gauge itself)
First major bike in my life was a Mach III widow maker.
My Second permanent bike 1978 Z1R (owned since Dec 1977)
My Third permanent bike is the 89 FJ12 - nice and fast
Forth bike 89 FJ12 my totally standard workhorse
81 GPZ1100 hybrid - what a bike, built to sell but I can't part with it

iMav

Actually, I'm pretty sure I DID cut the wire...

Digging that out of the glue is going to be fun.  Sure would be nice to start over with a replacement gauge; even if I did have to give it another to at drilling another hole.

iMav

Picked up another fuel gauge off of eBay.  ;)