News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

1990 FJ, where to start?

Started by bigcat39, May 14, 2013, 08:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcat39

Hi all, I have a long, sad tale, please be patient with me.
I bought my dream bike, a 1990 blue and white, in 2008. 35,000 miles and cosmetically perfect. I rode it about 200 miles home, it did OK with the exception of a Carb problem which cleared itself up. Rode it without issue for three months, including a 300 mile rally. Filled it up with gas for another long run, rode to the starting point, and the clutch slave popped. Got it home, ordered the parts, and waited. During the wait, I noticed a strong odor of gas. The bike proceeded to leak an entire tank of gas onto the ground, as well as ALL of it's oil. Then carpal tunnel syndrome hit me, and I had both wrists operated on. The bike got transported to my daughter's garage, where it has sat ever since.
Fast forward to today, when said daughter lost the house, and the bike is once again back home. Still beautiful. But as a sculpture only. I'd love to fix it, I know I have a long road ahead. Where do I start? I've never seen any bike develop a gas and oil leak this massive basically overnight, and I'm left scratching my head on where to begin. Help?

movenon

Sorry about the rough road there. As for the problems, one thing at a time. First the oil leak. More info is needed... Did the oil completely leak out or just some ? Can you see where it is leaking ? When it was stored was it on the center stand or side stand ? Probably hard to tell but was gas mixed with the oil ?

Check the simple areas first. Oil drain plug / gasket. TQ for the drain plug should only be 31 ft lbs.   If it has leaked out just parked or stored I would also check the pan area and for heaven forbid, a crack in the case from some PO event (that would probably be around the front sprocket area).

More stuff but I would start there. Then on to the fuel problem which is solvable. One thing at a time. More information please  :good2:
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

ribbert

The fuel is not a big problem. Are you sure it was the entire contents of the tank or did it just freak you out and look like it.

The oil is an interesting one. Are you sure you're not confusing the leaking fluid from the slave cylinder with engine oil? If it is engine oil it is not something the FJ's are prone to. You need to try and identify where it is coming from, this would help greatly with offering advice.
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

bigcat39

It seemed that the oil and gas was mixed, which freaked me out completely. And yes, it was the entire gas tank, and all the crankcase oil. The bike was on the center stand. More info coming as soon as I have a moment.

movenon

Quote from: bigcat39 on May 14, 2013, 09:34:02 AM
It seemed that the oil and gas was mixed, which freaked me out completely. And yes, it was the entire gas tank, and all the crankcase oil. The bike was on the center stand. More info coming as soon as I have a moment.

With the oil fill cap off can you smell gas in the crankcase ? Have you or did you remove the drain oil drain plug to see if there is any oil or oil/gas mix still in there...?

Noel : Is it possable for a stuck open needle and seat to flow raw fuel into a intake manifold ? Seems it would just flow out the over flow drain but if it was plugged ?

George

1990 FJ 1200

aviationfred

bigcat39, What part of the world are you from. There may be someone on here that is close by that may be able to join you to help diagnose this problem?

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

fintip

Yeah, I'd have to guess the drain plug came loose or something, that's wacky. The timing of both at the same time, though... Maybe his bike did a phantom self-start in the garage, did a gas-gusher, and vibration from running knocked loose the drain bolt that was slowly coming undone the whole time?

As for your question of where to start--I'd say fill it up with oil and see if it leaks out anywhere. If it does, you have your answer. If it doesn't, well, then it isn't leaking. Nothing to do but wait. Maybe check all the bolts on the oil pan, I guess.

Do a basic carb rebuild with at least Randy's $22 set. Get a new petcock.

I bet you'll be good to go after that. You'll probably need a new battery, though... Don't wait for it to go bad on you on the road, even if it seems to be ok, I'm sure it won't be for long.
fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

Pat Conlon

Quote from: fintip on May 14, 2013, 05:38:32 PM

Do a basic carb rebuild with at least Randy's $22 set. Get a new petcock.

Yes on the carb rebuild...
No on the petcock. He does not need one. He does not have a vacuum petcock. '90's have fuel pumps.
It sounds like He has a fuel pump that's leaking.
Fill your tank up. Disconnect the output hose at the fuel pump. (The hose that goes to the carbs)
If you see fuel dribbling out the fuel pump ( normally it should not) it's time for a new fuel pump.
FJ oem pumps are expensive, but there are other less costly options. See the Files.  Cheers. Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

fintip

My bad, forgot what year we were talking for a second. Assumed it was like mine. D'oh.
fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

fj11.5

Hey kyle, how's the seat latch holding up mate  :hi:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

RichBaker

It is not uncommon for fuel to leak into the carbs, throught the throat and into a cylinder, or two. Then on past the rings and into the crankcase, causing the oil level to rise. If enough gas leaked into the CC, I could imagine it would be possible for it to find its way out and onto the ground...
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

movenon

Pat is correct. There 2 fuel flow checks points in a 1990 FJ.

First: is with no power the fuel pump it shuts off the flow into the carbs.
Second: is the needle and seat valves in the carbs.

The needle and seat can have trash in there preventing it from sealing or a float binding on the pin, or very badly adjusted. But for that to be the problem the fuel has to get past the fuel pump with power off while sitting in storage and a leaking needle and seat or seats. You might have a problem in both areas.

I would check the fuel pump and pull the carbs and inspect/adjust or replace the needle and seats at a minimum.

The oil leaking entirely out just doesn't make since to me unless the drain plug / gasket is loose or missing. Or there is a crack in the case down low which hopefully is not the problem. Even if the pan gasket leaked you would still have some oil in her.

Let us know what you find out. Inquiring minds and all. :lol:

Also back on your fuel problem while the tank is off I would put a new fuel filter in it. Look at the bottom side of your fuel tank  :bye:

George

1990 FJ 1200

Dan Filetti

Quote from: RichBaker on May 14, 2013, 08:46:59 PM
It is not uncommon for fuel to leak into the carbs, throught the throat and into a cylinder, or two. Then on past the rings and into the crankcase, causing the oil level to rise. If enough gas leaked into the CC, I could imagine it would be possible for it to find its way out and onto the ground...

I was thinking similar.  Not exactly sure how, but Rich, you and I are on the same wavelength.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

movenon

Quote from: Dan Filetti on May 14, 2013, 11:04:02 PM
Quote from: RichBaker on May 14, 2013, 08:46:59 PM

I was thinking similar.  Not exactly sure how, but Rich, you and I are on the same wavelength.

Dan

+1  :drinks: :drinks:

1990 FJ 1200