News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

running problems

Started by wiedith, May 13, 2013, 02:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiedith

I have an 85 fj 1100 that pops out of one carb also when sits for a couple hours wont stort without putting ether into carbs all have been cleaned throughly and sync still. The same problem please help dont want to trade her in on a newer bike but will if cant fix problem since she is a daily driver
Wiedith

fj1289

Ok, since this is a daily driver, I assume shew as running well for you, but has now developed a problem?  If so, what either changed to cause the issue?  Or how did the symptoms begin that lead to the carb cleaning and synching?

If not, if this was bought to make it into a daily driver, what do you know of the history?  Last time battery was replaced?  How clean are the connections?  How were the carbs cleaned?  If this has been sitting a while, I'd guess dirty idle circuits are still the issue.  A lot more care and effort than usually first thought ti get them cleaned right.  And if the idle wasn't close to right, a carb synch done with vacuum gauges could be off by a bit and will need to be redone once the idle is right again.

These aren't troublesome bikes, but the basics have got to be taken care of for them to behave well. 

FJmonkey

There is a distinct lack of information on your problem. The more info you can provide on before and during the problem goes a long way...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

Quote from: fj1289 on May 13, 2013, 04:06:23 PM
Ok, since this is a daily driver, I assume shew as running well for you, but has now developed a problem?  If so, what either changed to cause the issue?  Or how did the symptoms begin that lead to the carb cleaning and synching?

If not, if this was bought to make it into a daily driver, what do you know of the history?  Last time battery was replaced?  How clean are the connections?  How were the carbs cleaned?  If this has been sitting a while, I'd guess dirty idle circuits are still the issue.  A lot more care and effort than usually first thought ti get them cleaned right.  And if the idle wasn't close to right, a carb synch done with vacuum gauges could be off by a bit and will need to be redone once the idle is right again.

These aren't troublesome bikes, but the basics have got to be taken care of for them to behave well. 

I might add that I would start with a compression test. Then possably test for an air leak around the intakes. Then you are probably going to have to pull the carbs and do a real though clean and look see. Let us know what you find out. :good2:
And agree with FJmonkey !
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Pat Conlon

When was the last time the valves were adjusted? You could have a burned intake valve.
+1 on a compression test....or better yet, a leakdown test.

Oh yea, hello...who are you?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

wiedith

Ok heres more on the fj i got her a little over a year ago on a trade ahe sat for unknown time he said he rebuilt the carbs aabout 2 months or so ago i started to work on getting her running got her running but she constantly popped out carbs so i removed carbs and have cleaned them several time by spray can and dip and cleared all passages i have attempted to sync and adjust carbs but im prolly not doing it correctly as im using a cheeesy. Vacuust poum gauge and it. Just jumps the needle so i am unsure what to do i think i meed to get with someone around here to help me i does run fine at higher speeds j
Wiedith

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: wiedith on May 16, 2013, 08:02:18 AM

Ok heres more on the fj i got her a little over a year ago on a trade ahe sat for unknown time he said he rebuilt the carbs aabout 2 months or so ago i started to work on getting her running got her running but she constantly popped out carbs so i removed carbs and have cleaned them several time by spray can and dip and cleared all passages i have attempted to sync and adjust carbs but im prolly not doing it correctly as im using a cheeesy. Vacuust poum gauge and it. Just jumps the needle so i am unsure what to do i think i meed to get with someone around here to help me i does run fine at higher speeds j

These carbs are notorious for requiring a THOROUGH, professional-style cleaning (sonic cleaner) after sitting for any length of time. Simply spraying them out with canned carb cleaner won't cut it. ALL of the little orifices and passageways need to be clean, clean, clean.

The condition of the valves is also very important (compression and leakdown test), as is the proper amount of valve lash (valve adjustment). Example:

If I can make it to the poker run this Saturday, I'll have a look at it and try to offer better, more accurate advice.

In the meantime, have a look in the FILES section for a comprehensive guide on cleaning and adjusting the carbs: http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=655.0

Good luck!

Steve

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823