News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Fuel filler noise??

Started by Brian Penney, May 10, 2013, 06:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Penney

Hey guys, this is my first time on this site. Guess I'm a virgin at something!!!
The fuel filler door on the fuel tank makes a wheezing sound after I shut off my 86 FJ1200? If I open the door the sound stops but when I close the door the tank starts to wheeze again. It will make the noise for a few seconds then stop and restart again, Freaky huh? Any ideas?
Clogged vent perhaps? If so, where is the vent and how should I clean it? Is it a pressurized tank?

FJmonkey

That is normal, the cap has a flapper valve. As long as the valve is working normally it causes no harm other than the noise you hear. Some here have performed the "Flapectomy" and removed them, I did when I was having fuel delivery problems but it was not the cause. Use the search function on this site and you find plenty of info.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

X-Ray

Quote from: Brian Penney on May 10, 2013, 06:53:42 AM
The fuel filler door on the fuel tank makes a wheezing sound after I shut off my 86 FJ1200? If I open the door the sound stops but when I close the door the tank starts to wheeze again.

Wheezing?  Wheezing???  That is not wheezing, it is the sound of the FJ happily singing after a good ride. I just let mine sing its head off, part of its character,  :biggrin:

Hoo Roo
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ