News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

85 FJ clutch problem ......

Started by DreadRock, May 04, 2013, 10:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreadRock

Need some help as im going on a trip in two weeks on my FJ maybe ? Bike was running great till other day and the clutch stoped engageing and limped it home ! So I worked on bleecing the clutch and got nothing . Tried everything I know and can get it to pump up ! I pulled the slave off to have a look and pulled the lever and piston seemed to push out fine but when I put it back on fluid moves thru it thru it but actes like there not enough pressure to disengage the clutch and seems like there is a lot of air in it ! Its not the first time ive messed with somethinig like this but im lost ???? Is there a trick im missing on the FJs or something im over looking ? Befor I start rebuilding or replacing would like to get a idea where to start !!!!
Any help would be great and thanks for the help !

movenon

From what you said I would rebuild the clutch slave first. They take a lot of patience to bleed. Did you notice any fluid leaking from the slave ? Any leakage around the master ? RPM has new seals . Easy to rebuild.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

DreadRock

No nothing leaking that I can see around either but I will look again today ! Is rebuilding the slave the same deal as rebuilding a caliper ? yea I looked at RPM really really nice guy first place I looked !!! Ill give the bleeding another go and if nothing works will get ahold of RPM Monday !

racerrad8

Quote from: DreadRock on May 04, 2013, 11:23:48 AM
...and if nothing works will get ahold of RPM Monday !

If you have to reach me, email is going to be the best way followed by PM.

Bump in the road...

Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
Randy - RPM

hein

Please clarify your problem. You first state that the clutch will not engage,  indicating a slipping clutch, then you say it will not disengage which would mean a problem with either the master or slave cylinder. These are two different problems.

Hein.
What do you mean, you don't have a lathe?

markmartin

Quote from: DreadRock on May 04, 2013, 10:01:07 AM
 >> <<...the clutch and seems like there is a lot of air in it ! Its not the first time Ive messed with something like this but I'm lost ???? Is there a trick im missing on the FJs or something im over looking ? Befor I start rebuilding or replacing would like to get a idea where to start !!!!
Any help would be great and thanks for the help !

Hein's got a good point, but if it is your slave or just a bleeding problem, I got this method from this forum and used it last time I serviced my slave when a regular bleed wasn't working.  

Get a syringe and a length of tubing, put the tubing onto the bleeder valve, open the bleeder valve and inject as much fluid as you can into the slave and line.  You'll have the diaphragm out of the master cylinder and the cover just sitting on the  M.C. housing.  

I'm not sure if this next step is required, but I then tie my clutch lever to the bar, and leave it overnight to allow any air bubbles to migrate up and out.  I'll tap and wiggle on the lines every so often to help any trapped air move along.

Bleed it conventionally again in the morning  and then close everything up.

If your clutch works for a while (a day) and then starts to fade again, I'd change the seals on the slave piston.  It's not hard to do and the rebuild kit is only about $17.   "Rebuild" is a strong word here, it's just changing out 3 rubber parts and a spring.

Size comparison standard brought to you by the fine folks at the Miller Brewing Company

Dan Filetti

I recently saw such a syringe at, of all places, Tractor Supply Store...

FYI.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

FJmonkey

Quote from: Dan Filetti on May 04, 2013, 09:50:17 PM

FYI.

Dan
And what pray tell....were you doing in a tractor supply store??? Needing parts for your bike???  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: I could not help myself....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

FYI.

Dan

That's where I get them also.....
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Woodsman

FYI.

Dan
[Get them at the local vets myself.
Sean/quote]
"Man who chops his own wood heats himself twice"
87 fj1200,TBS,Daytona 900,NC30.

oz.fj

The local saddlery for me :pardon:
Darran
89 FJ 1200 Shiny Black
89 FJ 1200 x 3 Red White Silver
92 XR 250
Life is pretty straight without twisties

DreadRock

Thanks for the help guys !

After reading what I wrote I did kind of miss wrote things so I try again .
  The clutch would not disengage and when I tried to bleed it after limping it home the lever would not pump up . I pulled the slave off and when I pumped the lever the piston would move out but as soon as I placed it on the bike it wouldn't pump up and air just keep coming out of the bleeder after a few hours of pumping it . Did some reading and talked to a few guys that know more then I and it always came down to the slave !
   Im heading down to KY for a DTT GTG and really want to take the FJ as my CafĂ© build is not all the way done .
I took a shot and called RPM and couldn't wait so jumped on his site and ordered a rebuild kit . I cant say enough good things about Randy ( think that's it ) as its on it way and hope this will fix it . Again guys thank you so much for the help and a few laughs LOL
  Will let you know if its a fix !!!

Thmsdoyle

I had the same issue this spring, rebuilt the slave. Had to bleed the line a few times, seemed like it took a while for the air work ts way out of trapped areas. Some here say they wrap the clutch line with a screw driver handle to help the air bubbles move. Sounds like your headed in the right direction. What part of Ohio are in. I get into Ohio frequently to see family. And always looking for good rides.
Tommy D.

DreadRock

Thmsdoyle

Our family is in the Columbus area, I do further north sometimes.
Tommy D.