News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Clutch Holding Tool.

Started by Woodsman, March 28, 2013, 04:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsman

Noticed a bit of slippage on my clutch when giving it a wee bit of stick yesterday. It's possible it could be the mix of semi and fully which i stuck in (was left over from other bike changes). It's prob time the clutch was given some attention with 63 thou miles up on it.
Will i need the tool if i go ahead and beef up the clutch?
Thanks, Sean.
"Man who chops his own wood heats himself twice"
87 fj1200,TBS,Daytona 900,NC30.

ribbert

Quote from: Woodsman on March 28, 2013, 04:35:37 AM
Noticed a bit of slippage on my clutch when giving it a wee bit of stick yesterday. It's possible it could be the mix of semi and fully which i stuck in (was left over from other bike changes). It's prob time the clutch was given some attention with 63 thou miles up on it.
Will i need the tool if i go ahead and beef up the clutch?
Thanks, Sean.

You will be given a number of different options. The most popular being the adding of an additional clutch spring.
My clutch never fully recovered from synthetic oil and I did not want to increase the pull at the lever.
I replaced the spring and it improved but still slipped at WOT, high revs, high gears.
Even though my fibres were standard thickness, I replaced them next and now have a grippy clutch and have retained the light lever.

My personal view is that unless you have significantly increased the power of the motor there is no need to beef up the clutch, just replace it.
I did do the wire removal, wide plate at the back mod while I had it out. (it is written up here in great detail, step by step, with photos)
For this you do not need the clutch tool.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Steve_in_Florida

X2 on Noel's comment. No tool needed.

I chose to add the second OEM spring plate to the clutch stack. Ultimately, it solved the slippage problem, but my clutch lever _IS_ noticeably firmer, and tedious to hold in for long periods (traffic lights). I reckon that I need to start using one of those "grip firmer" spring-exercise tools!

The mod was easy to perform: Remove the clutch cover bolts and then remove the clutch spring bolts. They all came loose easily.

(I believe that) you need the clutch holding tool if you're going to remove the clutch basket itself, but you don't go that far if you're just messing with the clutch spring or fiber disc/steels stack.

Good luck, Sean.

...and eat your spinach!

Steve  :hi:

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

rktmanfj

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on March 28, 2013, 07:59:01 AM

I chose to add the second OEM spring plate to the clutch stack. Ultimately, it solved the slippage problem, but my clutch lever _IS_ noticeably firmer, and tedious to hold in for long periods (traffic lights). I reckon that I need to start using one of those "grip firmer" spring-exercise tools!

...and eat your spinach!

BTDT.

What you really need to do is add a more appropriate clutch m/c to go with that extra spring; FJR (or YZF750), etc, etc.

No spinach required.    :biggrin:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: not a lib on March 28, 2013, 08:34:22 AM

What you really need to do is add a more appropriate clutch m/c to go with that extra spring...

Mods, mods, mods...

Cheese and Rice!

It's on the list, dammit! One thing at a time. :mail1:

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

rktmanfj

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on March 28, 2013, 08:38:07 AM

What you really need to do is add a more appropriate clutch m/c to go with that extra spring...

Mods, mods, mods...

Cheese and Rice!

Quit yer belly-aching... it gets you out of eating spinach.    :pardon:

Plan on a new braided line to go with your new m/c, too.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

movenon

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on March 28, 2013, 08:38:07 AM

Mods, mods, mods...

Cheese and Rice!

Boy that's the truth. It never ends... I have just scratched the surface and its getting worse..
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Pat Conlon

Quote from: movenon on March 28, 2013, 09:11:09 AM
Boy that's the truth. It never ends... I have just scratched the surface and its getting worse..

Bwhaaaahaaahaaa my evil plan is working....the virus is spreading....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Woodsman

So there are options galore on the slippy clutch issue. Now i have no intention of buying an fjr clutch as the one i have will do alright as long as i can get it to stop slipping.
Adding another spring results in a heavy pull with standard lever so i'll pass on that.
Replacing tired old spring with new and putting a thicker fibre plate at the back( whilst removing all bits suggested by Randy ), should in theory sort things and still leave a light clutch pull. Which is the way Noel has gone.

Woodsman

/quote]

Bwhaaaahaaahaaa my evil plan is working....the virus is spreading....
[/quote]

You're right there. I am waiting on my new xjr starter from RPM and already i am in the process of getting more bits for the clutch.

Dads_FJ

Right, no need to remove the outer clutch basket for a clutch job.  But... a slick way to hold the clutch basket if you ever do need to remove it, is to use a piece of brass rod, or sometimes I use a copper penny, between the gear teeth of of the clutch and the crank gear - like this:

John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'94 Yamaha WR250
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'39 BSA WM20

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: not a lib on March 28, 2013, 09:07:33 AM

Quit yer belly-aching... it gets you out of eating spinach.    :pardon:

<small voice> :sorry:...but I *LIKE* spinach.   

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

Woodsman

[/quote]

Good idea but i'm Scots so all my pennies are kept in a well secured container. Will try and find a dowel. :lol:

giantkiller

not a lib was talking about fjr master cylinder/ lever assembly not the clutch itself.

I bought the Barnett pressure plate and springs (and the full fiber plate replacement, have always done this to all my Yamaha ATVs) for the 86. I'm going to use the spring out of the 86 in the 87 to double the spring along with the full plate replacement.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

racerrad8

Quote from: Dads_FJ on March 28, 2013, 09:37:15 AM
Right, no need to remove the outer clutch basket for a clutch job.  But... a slick way to hold the clutch basket if you ever do need to remove it, is to use a piece of brass rod, or sometimes I use a copper penny, between the gear teeth of of the clutch and the crank gear

The problem is...

It is not the clutch basket that needs to be held, it is the clutch boss drive hub.

If you really need the holding tool, I have a brand new to add to inventory sitting in a box on my office floor. I will get it loaded up to the website early next week.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM