News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

rear sprocket bolt lock tabs

Started by bigbore2, March 19, 2013, 12:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbore2

Changing out my sprockets from my trip last fall [18/38] to my around town and tuning gearing [17/42]. I like a quicker revving engine for tuning. Need new lock tabs on rear sprocket bolts. Original connects 2 bolts with one washer/lock tab. Local shop says they are available for $18 each. Need three. Ouch!  There has to be another much cheaper way to do the same thing. Right?

FJ111200

Just use some threadlock in a tube.  I've never had a problem doing it that way.

Firehawk068

Quote from: FJ111200 on March 19, 2013, 12:11:14 PM
Just use some threadlock in a tube.  I've never had a problem doing it that way.

^+1
I put mine on with blue thread-lock, and haven't ever had a problem......

If I remember correctly, I also used "Nylock" nuts on mine..................<edit> I just checked mine, they are not "Nylock" nuts, but they are flanged locking nuts.
They have been on there for about 3 years, and are just as tight as when I put them on there.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

bigbore2

Allright then, locking nuts and blue threadlock. It is so great to find another way to do something that has been time tested by others. thanx again. Owe you a beer.

Tiger

:hi: I go with BLUE threadlocker too.... :good2:

John.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!