News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Clutch hydrolic cylinder rebuild

Started by kawabob1, March 17, 2013, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawabob1

Hi all,

Only about a foot of snow left till I can get the '85 back on the road. I am rebuilding the hydraulic master cylinder for the clutch. I ran into a problem trying to get the circlip out that holds in the plunger. My circlip pliers are too short to reach the clip. Is there as special tool? Also, I am changing the chain and sprockets. Any clear choice as to use a riveted master link vs a clip style? Thanks everyone.
Look the grim reaper right in the eye...and say....someday......but not today! Life is short, live it well!

FJmonkey

Just get longer ends to reach down in the hole. mine were just long enough. Rivet chain is safer, if you clip on a master link then safety wire it
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

kawabob1

Rivet was my first choice, I appreciate your input FJmokey...now to find a little longer tool....story of my life!
Look the grim reaper right in the eye...and say....someday......but not today! Life is short, live it well!

FJmonkey

Quote from: kawabob1 on March 17, 2013, 09:33:56 PM
now to find a little longer tool....story of my life!
Yep, I feel for ya.....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

movenon

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

SlowOldGuy

I bought a small set of needle nose pliars with a long snout.  I ground the sides of the snout jaws until they fit into the retainer holes.  The jaws were initially not strong enough to compress the retainer until I bent them slightly toward each other.

Works great now.

DavidR.

kawabob1

Thanks David!! That sounds like a yankee idea to me.....I like it!

bigbore2

Those are hard to get out without the right tool. All else fails just take it over to a shop, they might do for free.