News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

No shoes....

Started by FJmonkey, March 02, 2013, 09:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJmonkey

My tires were due in yesterday, they did not arrive, crap!!!! I can do some prep and get the old ones off.

I got aggressive and cleaned the chain and other assorted bits. My drive is not quite flat so I purchased a bit of steel rod to pass through to make like the rear axle is wider. This made for a stable position to use a floor jack and have both wheels off at the same time.

I used the 2x4 and lever method to brake the bead, a saw to cut the side walls, some rough cleaning to see some white, and my wheels are ready for UPS to complete the delivery.

Just a hint of Periwinkle, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" ... This is a Manly endeavor... Not for the light of heart or wimpy... No Pink stripe anywhere....

How the hell did that get in here???? Pesky photo, won't leave me alone.

Baldy, you infected my computer you convict scummm.....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

The White looks way better than the Periwinkle  :rofl:
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJmonkey

Quote from: aviationfred on March 02, 2013, 10:00:43 PM
The White looks way better than the Periwinkle  :rofl:
Oh yes!!! But it was in the pic... Cleaning is a real Bitch.....

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

movenon

WOW look at all that nice weather, oh and her to... What size of tires are going on your front end ? Not her's,   yours.... I would ask what her preload setting was but..... :yahoo:
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Jeff0308

I notice what appears to be colour coded stands. Nice touch.

keand3

Didn't know The Red Power Ranger had a sidekick? At least not a sidekick with that high pressure anyway :good2:
Whant to check out my photos on the bike??
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=828DDEC8DF631CA5%21103

FJmonkey

Quote from: movenon on March 03, 2013, 12:40:31 AM
WOW look at all that nice weather, oh and her to... What size of tires are going on your front end ? Not her's,   yours.... I would ask what her preload setting was but..... :yahoo:
George

I have the 88/FZR1000 front wheel so I run a 120 x 70. I am switching from the Dunlop Q2 to the Conti Motions. I really don't ride hard enough for the Q2s and the Contis were on a killer sale. I need to check the date code before I mount them. I had a 170 on the rear, the Q2 was too wide for a 180, the chain machined off the side of the tire. I am trying a 180 again with the Conti, if its too wide then I will offset the front sprocket and flip the rear sprocket to clear the tire.

FJmonkey

Quote from: Jeff0308 on March 03, 2013, 02:25:00 AM
I notice what appears to be colour coded stands. Nice touch.
I had noticed that, I also have a color coded floor jack that you can see on the Left but it failed. it is nice to have neighbors with tools.

craigo

Cool, keep us (me) posted on how that 180 works. If it doesn't rub anything, I will pick one up. But looking at the clearance my 170 sports, it shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, your bike is looking great!!!

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

FJmonkey

Quote from: craigo on March 03, 2013, 08:05:28 AM
Cool, keep us (me) posted on how that 180 works. If it doesn't rub anything, I will pick one up. But looking at the clearance my 170 sports, it shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, your bike is looking great!!!

CraigO

No problem Craig, I will let you know about the 180. And thanks, at the right angle and distance it is looking good.

movenon

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 03, 2013, 07:57:20 AM
Quote from: movenon on March 03, 2013, 12:40:31 AM
George

I have the 88/FZR1000 front wheel so I run a 120 x 70. I am switching from the Dunlop Q2 to the Conti Motions. I really don't ride hard enough for the Q2s and the Contis were on a killer sale. I need to check the date code before I mount them. I had a 170 on the rear, the Q2 was too wide for a 180, the chain machined off the side of the tire. I am trying a 180 again with the Conti, if its too wide then I will offset the front sprocket and flip the rear sprocket to clear the tire.

Same rim set up here when finished... Front 3.5 rim is out being powder coated. I put a 180 55 17 Michelin RP3 on the rear. Right now the is wheel centered in the swing arm the chain clears by about 3/8 ".. When measuring the chain (conversion in progress) the chain drifts off inboard to the front sprocket. I will flip the finial drive sprocket and see where I am at. I am hoping/estimating that I will end up with about 1/4 " chain to tire clearance when everything is centered and aligned.
Like you mentioned another option is a new front sprocket (VF 1000 ?? ). The more I think about it the VF ?? front sprocket might be the way to go anyhow. I guess the splines are the same ? Out of memory from another post they had to grind down the outside protrusion on the face slightly to get the retaining nut on all the way. Guess I got to go find a 36mm socket now..... :dash1:

As a note for me it is hard to eye ball the chain alignment. I found that while I was mocking up the rear that I could push the rear tire assembly left or right quiet a bit and the chain would "look" like it was close. My advise is don't trust eye ball's... I ordered a Motion Pro chain alignment guide (around 15-18.00).
In the mean time I discovered a thin flexable spring steel 12 inch ruler in my tool box (I think it was an old office/drafting ruler) and because it bends easily you can lay the edge flat against the rear sprocket then you can see the chain alignment going up to the front sprocket. At least you can see which way the chain is drifting toward if not aligned.

The reason I ask about the front tire size was 120 70 vs 120 60 profile... I haven't ordered the tire yet. At this time my rear end is up about 1.25 -1.5 inchs from stock at static due to the new f4i shock and dog bone configuration.  Enough rambling :) Have a good Sunday and I hope your tires arrive Monday. Standing by for your next transmission :).
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

yamaha fj rider

Bike looks good FJmonkey. Paint that rear wheel red on the inside, then you can say your FJ red/white inside and out (take picture for proof). You have the time.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

Steve_in_Florida

Monkey,
Did you *REALLY* paint your windshield screws red???

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 02, 2013, 09:15:07 PM

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

FJmonkey

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on March 03, 2013, 02:45:23 PM
Monkey,
Did you *REALLY* paint your windshield screws red???

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 02, 2013, 09:15:07 PM

No, they are anodized aluminum in Power Ranger Red.