News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Burning oil smell .

Started by fj12_rider, December 14, 2012, 08:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj12_rider

A little help if you please .

My 3CV has a burning oil smell . It doesnt seem to be burning it but when i sit at the lights I can definately detect a burning oil smell . Could it just be that the oil needs changing or is there some other reason ? Any advice would be great .

:good2:
Buy a car ? Why in the hell would I want to do THAT ???

Steve_in_Florida

It's possibly oil leaking from the valve cover gasket or seals onto the head, and burning off.

It's high enough that it wouldn't drip on the ground, and hidden enough that you wouldn't notice it on a cursory inspection.

Look for a thick, molasses-type substance on the cylinder head or piston barrel fins.

Also, make certain that your crankcase breather tube is connected to the bottom of the air box.

Steve

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

fj12_rider

Cheers Steve . I`ll get out there when we get a break in the rain and have a look . I`m pretty sure it`s nothing serious because it`s running sweet as a nut and I mean very very nicely . It`s just one of those niggling things I cant seem to locate . I`ll have a good look tomorrow . I`ve just bought some new oil to put in as i`m not sure when it was changed last . When I put that in I`ll pull it about and take a good look in the places you suggest.

Dave !

airheadPete

You do not need to change your oil! (You've got a schedule for that, yes?). You probably have a seep somewhere hot. (The head.) You may want to pull the tank and set it 180* out onto the tooltray/fender and let it idle in the garage. Then you'll probably get it to smoke from wherever the oil is cooking off. Look for glazed, shiny black deposits.
'92 FJ1200.    '84 R100CS
'78 GS750E.   '81 R100RS
'76 R90/6       '89 R100GS
'65 R60/2

fj12_rider

Thanks mate i`m going to get into it today and I`ll do what you suggested . cheers  !!

Goetz

I bet its the valve cover gasket or vc bolt seals. Not a big deal

mr blackstock

The crankcase breather that goes from your crankcase to the air filter intake underneath the carb bank may have come off, meaning all the bypass gases are going straight into the air.  A lot of people fit a breather filter to the crankcase breather hose and plug the breather intake hole on the air filter box, because the hose hardens over time and is impossible to re-connect.

Maybe this could be the problem?

cheers, Gareth
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

fj12_rider

Cheers for all your help guys . I`ve given it a good clean up and will have a better idea what it is later . I`ve been banned from tinkering until thursday ..lol .

fj11.5

THURSDAY , that's dayyyys away , surly you can sneak half hours tinkering in before then  :empathy2:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

fj12_rider

:rofl: ...I`m going to give it a good try . If you dont hear from me for a few days i`m in hospital having my testicles reattached hehe

fj11.5

Ouch, depending on what your going to attempt to fix or upgrade the pain may be worth the effort  :biggrin:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

fj johnnie

A Yamaha mechanic friend refers to the FJ as "the sprinkler". Valve cover gaskets tend to dry out and crack. Be careful what you buy, I purchased one on fleabay and it would not fit. The Yamaha gasket was much more money but took 10 minutes to install. I fiddled with the lousy aftermarket piece of crap for hours trying to make it work. Sometimes saving money costs twice as much.  :dash2:    I have had several FJ's and usually the first sign is the smell. I would recommend replacing the  bolt grommets at the same time.

gonzajr

Quote from: fj12_rider on December 14, 2012, 08:20:26 AM
A little help if you please .

My 3CV has a burning oil smell . It doesnt seem to be burning it but when i sit at the lights I can definately detect a burning oil smell . Could it just be that the oil needs changing or is there some other reason ? Any advice would be great .

:good2:

Hello if your fuel tank is low on fuel; this is a good time to remove it and check valve cover rubber grommets around the bolts on the cover.
My 89 fj1200 had the same problem, But at the time I needed to adjust the carburetor's so I just cleaned off the residue at a car wash.
I live a close distance from a car wash I trailer it there; I also cleaned above the header pipe where the block meets the valve cover.
If possible blow dry around the plug wires and all the wire connection that my have gotten wet.

gonzajr I hope this helps   

Steve_L

Quote from: fj12_rider on December 24, 2012, 06:24:34 PMCheers for all your help guys . I`ve given it a good clean up and will have a better idea what it is later . I`ve been banned from tinkering until thursday ..lol .
G'day mate
I appreciate that this is the thread revival to beat ALL thread revivals https://fjowners.com/Smileys/default/facepalm.gif
11 years on now, do you recall what the issue was?
1985 FJ1100 (project underway)
1993 FJ1200
2007 FJR1300 - my IBA steed.
IBA #82587

Pat Conlon

2 sources of the smell,
1) Leaking oil from valve cover gasket, bolt grommets or cam chain tensioner.
2) Our FJ air cooled engines run loose piston to cylinder wall tolerances and thus gets a lot of blow by. Just the nature of the beast. Nothing can be done about it, so you can smell this oil vapor blow by from crank case vent tube, if it becomes disconnected from air box or.... if the air box is removed and aftermarket air filters are used, then the oil vapor is coming from the small filter on the crank case vent tube. If this is the case, position the vent tube and filter under the carb filter so the carb draws in the vapors.

Cheers. Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3