News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Electrical issue with my FJ

Started by fj12_rider, November 18, 2012, 04:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj12_rider

BTW , i`m using the original earth so it wasn`t an earth problem .

Just thought i`d add that in case others read this thread later on.
Buy a car ? Why in the hell would I want to do THAT ???

radiotek

Quote from: fj12_rider on November 20, 2012, 07:03:33 AM
Ok i`ve sorted it out . I hunted and hunted for the problem for about 20 hours in total and couldnt find what was going on . I fitted a new earth strap , ran a new earth to each appliance one at a time and nadda .

So to combat the issue I bought some 20a relays and ran new lines to each of the high and low beam and the stop and Tail light and used the original loom to trigger the relays , No more flashing , It hasnt "fixed " the problem persay , but it works !
for what its worth, I found on the xjr all of the earth's with the exception of starter motor return thru a under sized common wire with plug & socket near the battery. The frame is sort of 'bonded' to bat (-) neg via the exhaust & gear change linkage by default.
I guess the idear is to reduce corrosion by returning the earth currents back to 'go' via the loom rather than the frame & fixtures?

I would be suspicious there is a failed crimp joint in the cable loom at a 'node' in the earth circuit somewhere?

I think its a great idear to use some relays and be more generous with the copper for the QH headlamp current path. Use at least the same gauge wire to return the neg idealy to the battery neg wire
1988 XJR1300

The General

`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

SlowOldGuy

Sometimes when the main negative lead (on the back of the engine) is bad, you can jiggle the shifter lever and see sparks at the pivot as the electricals try to use that ground path back to the battery.

DavidR.

seanyboi01530

fj12_rider, i am having the same issue with the lighting. How did you get to the point of new relays and actually finding the bad earth?

Thanks in advance
Shughes

Sparky84

Quote from: seanyboi01530 on August 06, 2023, 05:24:54 PM
fj12_rider, i am having the same issue with the lighting. How did you get to the point of new relays and actually finding the bad earth?

Thanks in advance

G'day and Welcome Sean

Have you checked and cleaned maintain rear of motor?
Then also check and clean wiring loom main earth under fixing bolt for ignition coils.

You can never have enough earths but try installing a new earth from battery to main earth under coils.
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2