News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

smoky top end

Started by scotto, November 16, 2012, 03:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotto

Hi guys. I from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Need a bit of help. Have had many, many bikes. Sold 5 last year, including and xs1100 and an XJ900N. Very sad, but downsized home.

Haveing said that, I have a bad addiction and I am currently looking at an FJ1200 that some clown has painted all black (including over the stickers!) and which has smoke coming from the top end, even though he has "had a mate change the gasket". After he again saw smoke emerging from under the fuel tank he parked it up and is now selling cheap. Despite the sacrilegious paint job, I am tempted as it has good tyres, braided lines and is still an FJ.

Do you concur that this is probably the valve seat rubbers? That's what I reckon anyway. So tempted to buy it, even though ratty FJ1200, my preference has always been for function over form. I like things to work well, regardless of look.

Thanks very much for your help, and for this fantastic site. TA

Scott Johnston
Currently Honda VT750DC Black Widow, XV1100, BMWK1100LT and maybe an FJ
RF900 1994, K1100LT 1992, soon FJ100 1985

The General

Let me clarify.....Sold 5 bikes last year and downsized residence. Withdrawals might be releived by a smokey FJ Purchase.... Scarey, but that makes sense to me.
Welcome Scotty  :hi: my name`s Doug and I am an ouchaholic. Sureley owner will let ya take her hat off ta check her out. Maths will then give ya the solution, but ya heart already knows the answer.
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

FJmonkey

Welcome Scott, find where its leaking and fix it. The FJs are easy to work on and fix. The valve cover gasket and the valve cover bolt seals are most often the cause of a top end oil leak. Use a flashlight to make sure, order the gasket and grommets from RPM. Since you will have the cover off might as well check the valves so you don't have any too tight. What year FJ did you get?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Dads_FJ

Just because someone replaced the gasket doesn't mean it was done right... and if they didn't replace the valve cover grommets where the bolts go through they should have.  Here's a 'nother thought... the oil cooler sits right in front of the exhaust header, and that would make a fair amount of smoke if there were a little hole pissing oil on the exhaust, that would be easy to check too.

And welcome to the club.
John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'94 Yamaha WR250
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'39 BSA WM20

FJSpringy

Quote from: scotto on November 16, 2012, 03:19:26 AM
Hi guys. I from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Need a bit of help.

yep, move south  (popcorn)

btw welcome :lol:
I have kleptomania,
but when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

92 FJ1200

Harvy

Yes Scott, almost certain to be either the cam cover gasket or the grommets on the bolts which fasten that cover.

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

scotto

Quote from: The General on November 16, 2012, 03:48:54 AM
Let me clarify.....Sold 5 bikes last year and downsized residence. Withdrawals might be releived by a smokey FJ Purchase.... Scarey, but that makes sense to me.
Welcome Scotty  :hi: my name`s Doug and I am an ouchaholic. Sureley owner will let ya take her hat off ta check her out. Maths will then give ya the solution, but ya heart already knows the answer.

Well Dough. My answer is....always wanted an FJ. Always wanted and FJ. I'll squeeze it in somehow and maybe sell one of others, probably the XV.

scotto

Quote from: FJSpringy on November 16, 2012, 03:08:29 PM

I agree. This darn place was only meant for locals and convicts. Not some escapee Scotsman like me. A man wasn't meant to sweat like this, at least not while standing up. Scott J

scotto

Quote from: Harvy on November 16, 2012, 04:08:07 PM
Yes Scott, almost certain to be either the cam cover gasket or the grommets on the bolts which fasten that cover.

Harvy

Thanks very much for help. Should be a simple fix. ta

racerrad8

Quote from: Harvy on November 16, 2012, 04:08:07 PM

Harvy

If the valve cover gasket has been replaced, then it will be the bolt grommet seals and eight are required.

FJ Valve Cover Grommet

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

movenon

Welcome ! I agree with Dads_FJ in the above post. "trust no one" :). The oil leak is probably a simple fix. Ask and check for the more expensive problems like a second gear issue etc. Don't pay a lot and get it home. One thing about the FJ's, there is no shortage of good, advice and for now a good parts availability. I had a good time in Brisbane way back in 1969 for Anzac Day (Hope I spelled it right). Great city, nice people Went on to Sydney and Wellington, NZ after that. Good times.
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Klavdy

Trust Randy.
Ask his advice.
Buy stuff from him.
"This guy has got to go. The single most offensive individual I have experienced on the web.
MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

i is a professional website designer, I've built over 100's of sites
And yea I actually get paid for it. about 150 and hour.

Dan Filetti

Live hardy, or go home. 

radiotek

Quote from: FJSpringy on November 16, 2012, 03:08:29 PM

Ha ha! Hi Scotty welcome, I'm on the south-side and originally from Sydney but I believe BNE is a better option. It still gets stinking hot in Sydney the traffic is evil, there are revenue cameras everywhere plus you have to get roadworthy's every time you re-register your bike or cage. Having said that FJSpringy, I do miss it.

1988 XJR1300

Goetz

I have what appears to be an oil leak, only when the engine is good and hot, coming from under one of my cylinder head nuts. Has anyone else experienced this? It is the 2nd from the left (front) as you sit on the bike.