News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Help: Running issues

Started by Wesley, November 08, 2012, 11:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wesley

OK So I've found the problem, The crank timing sensor is breaking down when it gets hot, now another issue the robbing so and so's at yamaha dealer wants an awful lot of money for such a tiny little part, can anyone give me details of any alternative aftermarket parts that will do the same job.

FJmonkey

Quote from: Wesley on November 11, 2012, 07:25:26 AM
OK So I've found the problem, The crank timing sensor is breaking down when it gets hot, now another issue the robbing so and so's at yamaha dealer wants an awful lot of money for such a tiny little part, can anyone give me details of any alternative aftermarket parts that will do the same job.
Wesley, there are enough parts bikes around to get a used one, no need to buy from the Stealer. Or try Randy at RPM, best way if you want to buy new and he ships quickly and at reasonable prices. And while you are changing it you can slot it and advance your timing for touch more Kookaloo.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

andyb

3CV-81671-00-00

$150 from yamaha (MSRP).

Have to think there's a couple floating about out there though...

Wesley

Not quite sure what section to put this in and I'm not exactly conversant with all the technical terms so maybe some wants to edit this and post it in the right place?

How I tested my Crank timing pick-up to know it was faulty.......

First remove the lower scoop and left side bar (running across the front of the timing cover plate) nothing too technical here if you don't know how to remove these then read no further  :crazy:

Now to remove the cover plate (round plate with Yamaha on it) There's 4 cross head screws holding the plate in place, a word of warning 3 of the screws are quite easy to remove as the threads are captive in the crank housing however, the bottom left screw runs almost through it and the tail end is open to the elements so maybe some WD40 or similar product sprayed here will be quite useful. After struggling to remove this screw and killing the cross head i resorted to butchery and cut a slot in the top with a small angle grinder so i could use a slotted screwdriver. (made the whole process so much easier). Once you have the cover plate removed you will see it's nice and clean inside this is down to the rubber seal still attached to your cover plate don't lose it lol. The pick-up is the black object on the left side with the 2 wires running from it, follow these wires up the bike and you'll find a 2 pin connector just to the right of the battery. Unplug the connector and get a meter to test resistance (i used a standard multimeter set to test 2k Ohm's). Connect your meter to the 2 wires and you should have 0 resistance. Now find a small flat bladed screwdriver, ideally one with a tip similar in size to the tips of the round plate you see next to your Pick-up (NOTE: I used a magnetic tipped screwdriver as it was all i had to hand though I don't think this is necessary). Wave the screwdriver past the metal pole of the pick-up (right in it's centre) and you should see a resistance change. If you see no change in resistance then the pick-up is faulty and in need of replacement.

I don't know what the exact resistances should be but this simple test worked for me as i had resistance changes when the bike would run and no changes when she wouldn't.
Hope this little bit of info proves useful to somebody.

Wez.

ELIMINATOR

A guy on EBAY, frequently breaks a lot of FJ1200@s. Wegpin is his name.
BMW 1150GS
Moto Guzzi California 3