News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

FJ 1100 backfiring and poor throttle response and slow rev recovery

Started by minitruckeratheart, October 23, 2012, 09:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj11.5

Early KATANAS  :scratch_one-s_head:LOVE those ,, should of kept the f4i rear shock, will fit the Fj fairly easily
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

rktmanfj

Quote from: minitruckeratheart on October 25, 2012, 12:28:35 AM

i heard from a buddy that i could using scotch bright and panty hose for air filters.

Damn.  I guess the Uni Pods were a waste of money.        :dash2:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

FJmonkey

Quote from: not a lib on October 25, 2012, 08:45:43 AM

i heard from a buddy that i could using scotch bright and panty hose for air filters.

Damn.  I guess the Uni Pods were a waste of money.        :dash2:
Might work as well as K&N filters, but UNIs keep the crap out. I ditched my K&N and airbox and put UNI pods on last week.  :good2:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ribbert

Works a treat if you want to keep small furry animals and rocks out of your carbs, but not on the stuff that kills your motor.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

minitruckeratheart

well anything has to be better then nothing, and the bike came with no filters and a 3 dollar fix with scotch bright and panty hose well if all it does is keep the furry creatures and rocks out thats ok. ya know i have seen more then one car at the drag track use panty hose over velocity stacks, i would think if you add a layer of scotch bright over them it might make a decent filter... well i guess for a couple bucks ill find out soon. ima get some pics and start a mods thread.
'92 F350 7.3idi banks turbo E40D CC LB dually-the daily
'85 FJ1100 the streetfighter project
'83 300SD stock, low end IP screw cranked-the womans daily

racerrad8

Quote from: minitruckeratheart on October 25, 2012, 10:06:15 AM
...i would think if you add a layer of scotch bright over them it might make a decent filter...

Scotchbrite is an abrasive product and should not be used as a filter material...

Unless you are not worried about excessive internal wear of your engine.

You are better off running window screen than Scotchbrite.

But really, you should invest in the proper air filters.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

rktmanfj

Quote from: minitruckeratheart on October 25, 2012, 10:06:15 AM
well anything has to be better then nothing, and the bike came with no filters and a 3 dollar fix with scotch bright and panty hose well if all it does is keep the furry creatures and rocks out thats ok. ya know i have seen more then one car at the drag track use panty hose over velocity stacks, i would think if you add a layer of scotch bright over them it might make a decent filter... well i guess for a couple bucks ill find out soon. ima get some pics and start a mods thread.

What works at the strip isn't necessarily a great idea on the street.     :pardon:

Drag engines only run for short periods, and rebuilt as needed.

Street engines need to last, for most of us, anyway.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

minitruckeratheart

so im super cheap... and i made the filter pods about 3 dollars a pod. i used stainless steel screen for drains white panty hose so i can see how much dirt they collect and scotch bright. it made a big difference. it will stay idling now were as before it would idle for a few then die. not only that but it stopped popping during high throttle return. im pretty happy with them. well i know now i will stop rocks and furry creatures from entering my carbs and it gave me the little bit of restriction i needed. oh and on my test ride after the pods, i pulled the front end off the ground for the first time today. wow. didnt see that one comming. i was really getting into it. and felt it start to come up so i sat it back down. but kookaloo guys that was awesome!

my base that i used to start everything on, just 2" pvc pipe

the drain screen 1.50 at biglots

the panty hose free my daughter out grew them!

scotch bright and clamp

cut and trim to fit

and their on the bike!

it would seem as if a little restriction was just what she wanted it runs great thanks again for all the help guys

Flying Scotsman

Thats just silly you can buy 4 pod filters for about $30 why would you do that  :rofl:You will do more harm than good I.M.O.
1984 FJ1100
1985 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200
1999 GP1200 (165 + hp)

Flynt

I'm happy to give you an air box if it helps...  Monkey got my Unis, but I do have a K&N for the air box.  I have a '90 and a '92 if either will fit?

No offense, but those things are a virtual choke...  you can't restrict the venturi like that and get anything even close to design flow (smooth, as laminar as possible until the butterfly tumbles it to mix in the fuel).  It may be running better if your pilot jets are too small or poorly adjusted.  I imagine you lose most of the high end of the power band as well...  anyway, take the airbox option if you like.  Or save up for Unis and trash those chokes.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

FJmonkey

Like Frank said, and thanks to Frank I also have an OEM air box with K&N filters that you can have. Recently cleaned and oiled. And will never be missed....Kookaloo and Beyond!!!
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

SlowOldGuy

Nice effort.
Did you apply any "filtering oil" to the components?  If not, then all it's doing is keeping bugs out.  Dirt will pass right through that stuff.

DavidR.

minitruckeratheart

no filtering oil, and i do plan on filter pods. this was just because i was told it would work, and wanted to see if it would. seems to be working so far anyways. the bike isnt even legal yet and it has been rode up and down the road 5 maybe 6 times i wanted to prove that it ran like was advertised, which it was doesnt the second gear needs work and it drips oil from needing seals. but i didnt pay half what the guy was selling it for. long story, neighbor traded a car for the bike and i bought the bike and did the trade for him... but the bike was on CL for 1500 and i paid 700. lol so im not griping to much. anyways were moving and remodeling a house so i dont really have much to spend on the bike after purchase and it will proy spend most of the winter in the shed or porch, and this spring or after were moved i can spend some real cash on it. seals pods second gear fix and undercut gsxr wheels and maybe if i can find a reasonable price on a front end USD forks.

This bike was bought to keep me from doing any more mods to my daily driver truck i get the itch and i have to play with something...i had a project truck that i traded for a turbo kit and spare engine for my diesel and i lost my project. this replaced my project. and this summer when im riding it i can let the truck sit long enough that i can put the frickin turbo on my truck!

oh and maybe this wasnt covered, but the bike in not jetted, and pods still require jets right? if i had the money for the jets best believe i would have the 30 bucks for pods. because of the lack of restriction it wouldnt idle for longer then 30 seconds tops. now with the makeshift filters that cost me about 10 bucks outta pocket maybe a little less, it will idle for ever. the longest ride it will preform with the makeshift filters is across town to our new house.

Flying Scotsman

1984 FJ1100
1985 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200
1999 GP1200 (165 + hp)

minitruckeratheart

huh well thats funny, cause it did. i dunno what to say then. seems to run better anyways ive only rode it 2 or 3 times since the vacuum lines have been back on before i did the filters and they seemed to make a difference theyll be there until i can afford some pods and jets.